    advice.

    Thanks

    Gordon

    Gordon MacPherson, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Gordon MacPherson

    frederick Guest

    Gordon MacPherson wrote:
    > I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may help. I am
    > going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL 40X2000. I have a Dell
    > Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le to hook the two up so that I
    > can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am told that this may be difficult to
    > achieve but that there may be adaptors that will do the trick.
    >
    > I would welcome any advice on how to do this or where else I might go for
    > advice.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordon

    Curious.
    How do they advertise that as "massive 6.2 megapixel
    resolution" when it's 1920 x 1080?
    Yeah - I know - Nikon seem to use the same trick with their
    D3/D300 rear LCDs.

    frederick, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Gordon MacPherson wrote:
    > I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may
    > help. I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL
    > 40X2000. I have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le
    > to hook the two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am
    > told that this may be difficult to achieve but that there may be
    > adaptors that will do the trick.
    > I would welcome any advice on how to do this or where else I might go
    > for advice.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordon

    I found my laptop would detect my Samsung 26-inch TV through the VGA
    connector (providing the TV was switched on when the laptop was booted) at
    its native 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, and the ATI video would drive it
    at that resolution. I could then use my own slide-show program (or any
    standard Windows software) to display on the TV. IIRC, I configured the
    laptop as a dual-screen Windows system, so that I had full control on the
    laptop monitor (1st screen) and the slideshow only on the TV (2nd screen).

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2007
  4. frederick wrote:
    > Gordon MacPherson wrote:
    >> I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may
    >> help. I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL
    >> 40X2000. I have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab
    >> le to hook the two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV.
    >> I am told that this may be difficult to achieve but that there may
    >> be adaptors that will do the trick. I would welcome any advice on how
    >> to do this or where else I might
    >> go for advice.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Gordon
    >>

    > Curious.
    > How do they advertise that as "massive 6.2 megapixel
    > resolution" when it's 1920 x 1080?
    > Yeah - I know - Nikon seem to use the same trick with their
    > D3/D300 rear LCDs.

    As do every other camera manufacturer - unless you know otherwise.

    1920 x 1080 x 3 = 6220800 ......

    Actually, as camera don't have RGB sensors at each photosite (Sigma
    excpeted), a 6Mpix Canon might actually be more accurately described as
    2Mpix!

    [Expect long discussion to follow!]

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 2, 2007
  5. Gordon MacPherson

    Steve Guest

    Gordon MacPherson wrote:
    I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may
    help. I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL
    40X2000. I have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be able
    to hook the two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV.
    I am told that this may be difficult to achieve but that there may
    be adaptors that will do the trick. I would welcome any advice on how
    to do this or where else I might
    go for advice.
    Thanks
    Gordon

    I can't guarantee this but my Dell Latitude C610 simply hooks up to a
    socket on the back of the LCD TV just like hooking it up to an
    external monitor. Then, when I fire up the laptop, I use "Source" on
    the TV remote go into into Setup (for the TV, not the laptop) and
    press 3 on the remote. Anything that would appear on the Dell screen
    now appears on the TV screen.
    Hope that helps.

    Steve, Nov 2, 2007
  6. Gordon MacPherson

    Pat Guest

    On Nov 2, 5:23 am, "Gordon MacPherson"
    <> wrote:
    > I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may help. I am
    > going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL 40X2000. I have a Dell
    > Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le to hook the two up so that I
    > can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am told that this may be difficult to
    > achieve but that there may be adaptors that will do the trick.
    >
    > I would welcome any advice on how to do this or where else I might go for
    > advice.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gordon

    I don't know that computer or TV, nor do I care to research this, but
    why not just buy a TV with a VGA port and plug it in and be done with
    it. If you laptop is the problem, then go get one with a external VGA
    port (but most have it).

    So I guess I don't see what the problem is.

    Pat, Nov 2, 2007
  7. Gordon MacPherson

    Good Man Guest

    "Gordon MacPherson" <> wrote in

    > I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may help.
    > I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL 40X2000. I
    > have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le to hook the
    > two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am told that
    > this may be difficult to achieve but that there may be adaptors that
    > will do the trick.

    You can also just get a HDTV with a card reader (they tend to be SD cards).

    It all depends on the outputs on your notebook. You should hope it has its
    own dedicated graphics card (not the intel on-board) and ideally, an HDMI
    port. But you'll probably be looking at a VGA or S-Video output, neither
    of which are fantastic for your new LCD TV.

    Good Man, Nov 2, 2007
  8. On Nov 2, 5:12 am, "David J Taylor" <-this-
    bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    > > Gordon MacPherson wrote:
    > >> I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may
    > >> help. I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL
    > >> 40X2000. I have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab
    > >> le to hook the two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV.
    > >> I am told that this may be difficult to achieve but that there may
    > >> be adaptors that will do the trick. I would welcome any advice on how
    > >> to do this or where else I might
    > >> go for advice.

    > >> Thanks

    > >> Gordon

    > > Curious.
    > > How do they advertise that as "massive 6.2 megapixel
    > > resolution" when it's 1920 x 1080?
    > > Yeah - I know - Nikon seem to use the same trick with their
    > > D3/D300 rear LCDs.

    > As do every other camera manufacturer - unless you know otherwise.
    >
    > 1920 x 1080 x 3 = 6220800 ......
    >
    > Actually, as camera don't have RGB sensors at each photosite (Sigma
    > excpeted), a 6Mpix Canon might actually be more accurately described as
    > 2Mpix!
    >
    > [Expect long discussion to follow!]
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Okay, I'll start it. Yes, there is SOME resolution loss in the
    matrixing scheme, but not by a factor of three (or square root of
    three, since common metrics of resolution are based on a linear
    dimension). Also, effect is different between luminance contrast and
    color contrast.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 3, 2007
    Gordon MacPherson
    <>], who wrote in article <fgeppr$un0$>:
    > I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may help. I am
    > going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL 40X2000. I have a Dell
    > Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le to hook the two up so that I
    > can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am told that this may be difficult to
    > achieve but that there may be adaptors that will do the trick.

    I've heard that (some?) Bravias have a media slot. Then you may need
    no computer at all.

    Additionally, (cheap and) decent DVD players have memory slots and/or
    USB ports, and may show your JPEGs at the maximal monitor's
    resolution. (At least Philips 5982 can.)

    AFAIK, laptops which can connect to monitors digitally are quite rare
    (if they exist at all).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Dec 14, 2007
  10. Gordon MacPherson

    pjp Guest

    Seems almost all newer lcd style tvs (even smaller ones) now actually have a
    standard VGA connector. You switch the tv's input from Tuner, thru Composite
    Input(s) to VGA input etc. to use. One's I've seen so far seem to handle up
    to at least 1280x1024 resolution. Also seems almost all laptops have a vga
    connector for an external monitor so it basically becomes use TV as laptop
    monitor. Is that what you want? IF so nothing to it but money :)

    I often take my laptop out to a buddies and hook it to his 42" tv to play
    various pc games, looks great.

    pjp, Dec 14, 2007
    pjp
    <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com>], who wrote in article <47631830$0$5267$>:

    [Please do not top-post. Your reply moved to a correct place...]

    > > AFAIK, laptops which can connect to monitors digitally are quite rare
    > > (if they exist at all).

    > Seems almost all newer lcd style tvs (even smaller ones) now actually have a
    > standard VGA connector.

    VGA is an analogue connector. There is quite a difference.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Dec 15, 2007
  12. Gordon MacPherson

    pjp Guest

    <47631830$0$5267$>:

    > [Please do not top-post. Your reply moved to a correct place...]
    >
    > > > AFAIK, laptops which can connect to monitors digitally are quite rare
    > > > (if they exist at all).

    > > Seems almost all newer lcd style tvs (even smaller ones) now actually

    have a
    > > standard VGA connector.

    > VGA is an analogue connector. There is quite a difference.

    So? Subject is "Laptop to LCD TV" and what I mentioned does just that. Just
    trying to help btw :)

    pjp, Dec 15, 2007
    pjp
    <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com>], who wrote in article <4764156f$0$5278$>:

    > > > Seems almost all newer lcd style tvs (even smaller ones) now actually

    > have a
    > > > standard VGA connector.

    > > VGA is an analogue connector. There is quite a difference.

    > So? Subject is "Laptop to LCD TV" and what I mentioned does just that. Just
    > trying to help btw :)

    Sure. But if you wanted to base your answer on the subject only, you
    should not have inserted your reply in THIS particular place of the
    thread ;-). You replied to my posting, which was discussing some
    highest-image-quality connection options.

    Yours,
    Ilya

    P.S. My current monitor is connected via VGA cable, and suffer the
    result a lot.

    Ilya Zakharevich, Dec 15, 2007