OT (kinda): Watch your domain name!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Nov 15, 2004.

  1. Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
    names that I manage. Almost all of them are coming from the Domain Registry
    of America.

    I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding domain
    name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/09/domain_transfers_and_hijackings_to_become_easier.html

    Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" - it will
    automatically go through in 5 days.

    1. Make absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on your
    domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on someone else to do
    it for you. CHECK IT NOW.

    2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't assume its
    spam and don't ignore it!

    3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
    registrar to do it for you.

    Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to protecting
    your domain name!

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
    http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Nov 15, 2004

  2. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    EricP Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:33:10 -0500, "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc."
    <> wrote:

    >Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
    >names that I manage. Almost all of them are coming from the Domain Registry
    >of America.
    >
    >I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding domain
    >name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:
    >
    >http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/09/domain_transfers_and_hijackings_to_become_easier.html
    >
    >Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" - it will
    >automatically go through in 5 days.
    >
    >1. Make absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on your
    >domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on someone else to do
    >it for you. CHECK IT NOW.
    >
    >2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't assume its
    >spam and don't ignore it!
    >
    >3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
    >registrar to do it for you.
    >
    >Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to protecting
    >your domain name!
    >
    >--Tina

    Looks like legalised robbery to me.

    EricP, Nov 15, 2004

  3. "EricP" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:33:10 -0500, "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
    >>names that I manage. Almost all of them are coming from the Domain
    >>Registry
    >>of America.
    >>
    >>I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding domain
    >>name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:
    >>
    >>http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/09/domain_transfers_and_hijackings_to_become_easier.html
    >>
    >>Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" - it
    >>will
    >>automatically go through in 5 days.
    >>
    >>1. Make absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on your
    >>domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on someone else to
    >>do
    >>it for you. CHECK IT NOW.
    >>
    >>2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't assume
    >>its
    >>spam and don't ignore it!
    >>
    >>3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
    >>registrar to do it for you.
    >>
    >>Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to protecting
    >>your domain name!
    >>
    >>--Tina

    > Looks like legalised robbery to me.

    I have a feeling that ALOT of people are going to be losing their domain
    names. This could mean a huge shake-up in the domain industry. If an
    unscrupulous registration provider takes advantage of the 'no reply,
    auto-transfer' rule and then changes the domain contact information to
    themselves, they can pretty much do whatever they want with that domain
    name.

    EVERYONE - BE CAREFUL! LOCK YOUR DOMAINS!

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Nov 15, 2004
  4. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    James Mourby Guest

    "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <> wrote in message
    > Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various domain
    > names that I manage. Almost all of them are coming from the Domain
    > Registry
    > of America.
    >
    > I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding domain
    > name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:
    >
    > http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/09/domain_transfers_and_hijackings_to_become_easier.html
    >
    > Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" - it
    > will
    > automatically go through in 5 days.
    >
    > 1. Make absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on your
    > domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on someone else to
    > do
    > it for you. CHECK IT NOW.
    >
    > 2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't assume
    > its
    > spam and don't ignore it!
    >
    > 3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
    > registrar to do it for you.
    >
    > Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to protecting
    > your domain name!
    >
    > --Tina
    >

    > --
    > http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
    > http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts
    > Datacenter located in Grand Rapids, Michigan
    > Serving the web since 1997

    I guess that means no more week long holidays away from home then!
    Requested on monday, by the time you get back..... the domains gone!

    James Mourby, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Thom Guest

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <> wrote:

    > Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various
    > domain names that I manage.

    Via?

    > Almost all of them are coming from the
    > Domain Registry of America.

    In what form? Email, phone calls, faxes?

    > I believe they are taking advantage of ICANN's new policy regarding
    > domain name transfer requests, as outlined in this article:
    >
    > http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/09/domain_transfers_and_hijackings_to_become_easier.html
    >
    > Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" -
    > it will automatically go through in 5 days.

    First of all, if you read it, it says;

    <Quote>
    "Failure by the Registrar of Record to respond within five (5) calendar days
    to a notification from the Registry regarding a transfer request will result
    in a default 'approval' of the transfer," the new rules state."
    </Quote>
    The way I read the above? It's up to the "Registrar of record" (ie. YOU)
    not your customer, to repond in a timely fashion. No?

    Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and I've
    received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

    Third? How could anyone get my domain registration information (email,
    address, phone number) if it hadn't been supplied by my registrar?

    > Be absolutely sure that your correct email address is listed on
    > your domain name record. Don't assume you do and don't rely on
    > someone else to do it for you. CHECK IT NOW.

    GoDaddy handles my domains in the form of "anonymous registrations". And IF
    there's a problem with any of my domains being hijacked? I'll assume I'd
    have legal recourse against them. NOBODY other than my host needs (nor
    should they KNOW) my "real" information.

    > 2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't
    > assume its spam and don't ignore it!

    IF it comes from GoDaddy, and arrives at a phone number/snailmail/email
    address only GoDaddy knows? I'll be sure to follow up. Thanks.

    > 3. Lock your domains. If you don't have access to do this, ask your
    > registrar to do it for you.

    Done. By contract, I'm all set for the next three (out of five) years with
    GoDaddy.

    > Please, everyone, be careful and be proactive when it comes to
    > protecting your domain name!

    Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a company
    name out there?

    YMMV, of course.

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  6. "Thom" <> wrote in message
    > Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <> wrote:
    >
    >> Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various
    >> domain names that I manage.

    > Via?

    Email.

    >> Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" -
    >> it will automatically go through in 5 days.

    > First of all, if you read it, it says;
    >
    > <Quote>
    > "Failure by the Registrar of Record to respond within five (5) calendar
    > days to a notification from the Registry regarding a transfer request will
    > result in a default 'approval' of the transfer," the new rules state."
    > </Quote>
    > The way I read the above? It's up to the "Registrar of record" (ie. YOU)
    > not your customer, to repond in a timely fashion. No?

    "The changes could mean trouble for domain owners who don't closely manage
    their records. Registrars are warning that domains with incorrect e-mail
    addresses and outdated administrative contact information could be at
    particular risk, as the domain's WHOIS database information will be used to
    inform domain owners of transfer requests."

    Basically, if you don't say "no" and your registrar doesn't say
    "no"...you're screwed. Do you really want to depend on your registrar to
    make sure your domain doesn't get transferred?

    > Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and I've
    > received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

    Maybe its time to look for a new registrar. One that actually keeps its
    customers up-to-date with important news and information?

    > Third? How could anyone get my domain registration information (email,
    > address, phone number) if it hadn't been supplied by my registrar?

    WHOIS registry. Doesn't matter if the email address is correct or hidden.
    All you need for a domain transfer request is to submit the domain name.

    > GoDaddy handles my domains in the form of "anonymous registrations". And
    > IF there's a problem with any of my domains being hijacked? I'll assume
    > I'd have legal recourse against them. NOBODY other than my host needs
    > (nor should they KNOW) my "real" information.

    Again, you don't need to know your information - all you need to know is
    your domain name. So, you'd rather that I not warn people about this...but,
    rather, just figure "if they run into trouble, they can always hire an
    attorney and seek legal recourse." Nice.

    >> 2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't
    >> assume its spam and don't ignore it!

    > IF it comes from GoDaddy, and arrives at a phone number/snailmail/email
    > address only GoDaddy knows? I'll be sure to follow up. Thanks.

    It won't come from Godaddy. It will come from the "gaining" registrar.

    > Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a company
    > name out there?

    I can think of much more effective and efficient ways to "get my company
    name out there" than posting in usenet. Spending time writing the post,
    following up on it, replying to you, etc. is NOT a cost-effective way to
    gain new clients and we're certainly not desperate for customers.

    However, its certainly acceptable to include a short .sig file in usenet
    posts. If you don't like it, use a filter to cut them out or don't read
    anything past my name. ;-)

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Nov 15, 2004
  7. Thom wrote:

    > Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and I've
    > received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

    If by "warning", you include a general warning about the rule change: I
    got a warning from GoDaddy, early last week, three-ish days before the
    change in rules was to become effective, recommending that I lock down
    my domains if they weren't already locked.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 15, 2004
  8. "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Thom wrote:
    >
    >> Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and I've
    >> received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

    > If by "warning", you include a general warning about the rule change: I
    > got a warning from GoDaddy, early last week, three-ish days before the
    > change in rules was to become effective, recommending that I lock down
    > my domains if they weren't already locked.

    Yeah, I thought I heard that GoDaddy sent out a warning. Not being a
    GoDaddy customer, I wasn't sure. We actually register domains through a
    couple of different registrars and one sent out a warning and one didn't. I
    think most registrars are erring on the side of caution and taking the time
    to warn their customers. Its in their best interest to make sure their
    customers' domains don't get hijacked!

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Nov 15, 2004
  9. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Thom Guest

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <> wrote:

    > "Thom" <> wrote in message
    >> Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various
    >>> domain names that I manage.

    >> Via?

    > Email.
    >
    >>> Basically, if you don't specifically say "no, don't transfer me!" -
    >>> it will automatically go through in 5 days.

    >> First of all, if you read it, it says;
    >>
    >> <Quote>
    >> "Failure by the Registrar of Record to respond within five (5)
    >> calendar days to a notification from the Registry regarding a
    >> transfer request will result in a default 'approval' of the
    >> transfer," the new rules state." </Quote>

    >> The way I read the above? It's up to the "Registrar of record" (ie.
    >> YOU) not your customer, to repond in a timely fashion. No?

    Did you ever answer this? You're reply is so convoluted and misquoted, that
    it's nearly impossible to tell.

    > "The changes could mean trouble for domain owners who don't closely
    > manage their records. Registrars are warning that domains with
    > incorrect e-mail addresses and outdated administrative contact
    > information could be at particular risk, as the domain's WHOIS
    > database information will be used to inform domain owners of transfer
    > requests."

    This is just more from the passage *I* quoted, from the text you linked to.
    It doesn't answer any of my concerns.

    > Basically, if you don't say "no" and your registrar doesn't say
    > "no"...you're screwed. Do you really want to depend on your
    > registrar to make sure your domain doesn't get transferred?

    Yes. That's what I PAID them for.

    >> Secondly? All six of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, and
    >> I've received no such correspondence, nor any warnings.

    > Maybe its time to look for a new registrar. One that actually keeps
    > its customers up-to-date with important news and information?

    I'm not having any problems as yet. But being an honest individual, should
    I get hijacked? I'll be one of the FIRST to complain. The last
    transmission I got from GoDaddy was a link to a website they created
    honoring the 'birthday' of the USMC.

    >> Third? How could anyone get my domain registration information
    >> (email, address, phone number) if it hadn't been supplied by my
    >> registrar?

    > WHOIS registry. Doesn't matter if the email address is correct or
    > hidden. All you need for a domain transfer request is to submit the
    > domain name.

    My "WHOIS" discloses NOTHING about me other than the fact that my domains
    are hosted anonymously by GoDaddy.

    If someone attempts to hijack me by domain name alone? I suspect GoDaddy
    would be in a world of poop if I cared, and they were to let it happen
    without my knowledge. No?

    >> GoDaddy handles my domains in the form of "anonymous registrations".
    >> And IF there's a problem with any of my domains being hijacked? I'll
    >> assume I'd have legal recourse against them. NOBODY other than
    >> my host needs (nor should they KNOW) my "real" information.

    > Again, you don't need to know your information - all you need to know
    > is your domain name. So, you'd rather that I not warn people about
    > this...but, rather, just figure "if they run into trouble, they can
    > always hire an attorney and seek legal recourse." Nice.

    Well yeah. If they've hired an irresposible domain registrar, who doesn't
    inform them they're about to be transferred? I'd suggest they sue the pants
    off 'em if it matters.

    >>> 2. Make sure you reply to ANY transfer request you may get. Don't
    >>> assume its spam and don't ignore it!

    >> IF it comes from GoDaddy, and arrives at a phone
    >> number/snailmail/email address only GoDaddy knows? I'll be sure to
    >> follow up. Thanks.

    > It won't come from Godaddy. It will come from the "gaining"
    > registrar.

    And HOW will it arrive? And HOW will this "HIJACKER" have known how to
    contact me unless my registrar (GoDaddy) supplied them with my personal
    information, which they agreed NOT to share with ANYONE when I registered my
    domains anonymously?

    >> Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a
    >> company name out there?

    > I can think of much more effective and efficient ways to "get my
    > company name out there" than posting in usenet. Spending time
    > writing the post, following up on it, replying to you, etc. is NOT a
    > cost-effective way to gain new clients and we're certainly not
    > desperate for customers.
    > However, its certainly acceptable to include a short .sig file in
    > usenet posts. If you don't like it, use a filter to cut them out or
    > don't read anything past my name. ;-)

    Like I said. YMMV. However? Your reply would do nothing to put my mind at
    ease if I was hosted by your company.

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  10. "Thom" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > contact me unless my registrar (GoDaddy) supplied them with my personal
    > information, which they agreed NOT to share with ANYONE when I registered
    > my domains anonymously?
    >
    >>> Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a
    >>> company name out there?

    >> I can think of much more effective and efficient ways to "get my
    >> company name out there" than posting in usenet. Spending time
    >> writing the post, following up on it, replying to you, etc. is NOT a
    >> cost-effective way to gain new clients and we're certainly not
    >> desperate for customers.
    >> However, its certainly acceptable to include a short .sig file in
    >> usenet posts. If you don't like it, use a filter to cut them out or
    >> don't read anything past my name. ;-)

    > Like I said. YMMV. However? Your reply would do nothing to put my mind
    > at ease if I was hosted by your company.

    Okay, I tried to educate you. I'm not inclined to beat my head against a
    brick wall. ;-)

    Feel free to disregard my advice and warning. Its you're perogative. As it
    is, it sounds as if Godaddy would probably reject any transfer request on
    your behalf. However, I would urge you to do some independant research on
    how, exactly, domain transfers are processed and completed.

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Nov 15, 2004
  11. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Thom Guest

> [...]

    >>> registrar.

    >> And HOW will it arrive? And HOW will this "HIJACKER" have known how
    >> to contact me unless my registrar (GoDaddy) supplied them with my
    >> personal information, which they agreed NOT to share with ANYONE
    >> when I registered my domains anonymously?

    >>> I can think of much more effective and efficient ways to "get my
    >>> company name out there" than posting in usenet. Spending time
    >>> writing the post, following up on it, replying to you, etc. is NOT a
    >>> cost-effective way to gain new clients and we're certainly not
    >>> desperate for customers.
    >>> However, its certainly acceptable to include a short .sig file in
    >>> usenet posts. If you don't like it, use a filter to cut them out or
    >>> don't read anything past my name. ;-)

    >> Like I said. YMMV. However? Your reply would do nothing to put my
    >> mind at ease if I was hosted by your company.

    Ummm. Okay by me too. ;-)

    > I'm not inclined to beat my head
    > against a brick wall. ;-)

    Hey? Ya never know what folks are into.

    > Feel free to disregard my advice and warning.

    Done.

    > Its you're perogative.
    > As it is, it sounds as if Godaddy would probably reject any transfer
    > request on your behalf.

    Don't want one. I have a sweet deal with them.

    > However, I would urge you to do some
    > independant research on how, exactly, domain transfers are processed
    > and completed.

    Yeah. OK.

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  12. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    anthonyberet Guest

    "Thom" <> wrote in message news:Eu2dnSqHaM8miATcRVn-...

    > > Feel free to disregard my advice and warning.

    > Done.

    Hey what is your domain-name Thom?
    I feel an experiment coming on....

    anthonyberet, Nov 15, 2004
  13. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    anthonyberet Guest

    "Thom" <> wrote in message
    > anthonyberet <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Thom" <> wrote in message

    > >> Done.

    > > Hey what is your domain-name Thom?
    > > I feel an experiment coming on....

    > I suggest you feel something else for a while. :)

    haha - for all your bluster you wont risk it though, will you? ;-)

    anthonyberet, Nov 15, 2004
  14. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    trout Guest

    Thom wrote:

    > Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <> wrote:
    >
    >> Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various
    >> domain names that I manage.

    [snip]

    > Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a
    > company
    > name out there?
    >
    > YMMV, of course.
    >
    > Thom

    Although I can see why you'd be doubting, Thomas (sorry, I guess you
    get that a lot); in fairness, Tina has been posting to this newsgroup
    for years.
    Although she's certainly not secretive about the business she's in;
    I've not, in the years that I've read here, seen a post that was simply
    self-promoting, and I've no doubt that this was a sincere warning to
    benefit the readers.
    --
    "Just for the record."

    trout, Nov 15, 2004
  15. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Thom Guest

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  16. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    anthonyberet Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Thom wrote:
    >
    > > Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Today, I've been hit with a deluge of transfer requests for various
    > >> domain names that I manage.

    > [snip]
    >
    > > Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a
    > > company
    > > name out there?
    > >
    > > YMMV, of course.
    > >
    > > Thom

    > Although I can see why you'd be doubting, Thomas (sorry, I guess you
    > get that a lot); in fairness, Tina has been posting to this newsgroup
    > for years.
    > Although she's certainly not secretive about the business she's in;
    > I've not, in the years that I've read here, seen a post that was simply
    > self-promoting, and I've no doubt that this was a sincere warning to
    > benefit the readers.

    It was discussed on Slashdot recently:
    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/10/0425218&tid=95

    As it happens, Godaddy have already responded by 'locking' their
    registrations.
    It appears that they do live up to Thom's expectations, which are not
    unreasonable even if complacent.
    It certainly doesn't hurt to be informed though, and to check who can or
    can't be relied upon - this goes for pretty much all net-services of course.

    anthonyberet, Nov 15, 2004
  17. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    anthonyberet Guest

    "Thom" <> wrote in message
    > anthonyberet <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Thom" <> wrote in message

    > >> I suggest you feel something else for a while. :)
    > >>

    > > haha - for all your bluster you wont risk it though, will you? ;-)

    > Bluster?
    >
    > I wouldn't call having the knowledge and forethought to register my

    domains
    > anonymously any form of bluster.
    >
    > I prefer to think of it as ...
    >
    > Doing proper research.

    Thats good - it turns out your registrar is a good one - wouldn't hurt to
    have checked in the light of the ICANN decision though would it? -
    Especially as you say they didn't advise you about their policy.
    Tina's warning was up-front about her interest and as well-intended as her
    posting history in this group (ting).

    anthonyberet, Nov 15, 2004
  18. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Thom Guest

    anthonyberet <> wrote:

    > "Thom" <> wrote in message
    >> anthonyberet <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Thom" <> wrote in message

    >> > Hey what is your domain-name Thom?
    >> > I feel an experiment coming on....

    >> I suggest you feel something else for a while. :)
    >>

    > haha - for all your bluster you wont risk it though, will you? ;-)

    Bluster?

    I wouldn't call having the knowledge and forethought to register my domains
    anonymously any form of bluster.

    I prefer to think of it as ...

    Doing proper research.

    YMMV

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  19. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Thom Guest

    anthonyberet <> wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> Thom wrote:

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> > Why do I think this post wasn't much more than an attempt to get a
    >> > company
    >> > name out there?
    >> >
    >> > YMMV, of course.
    >> >
    >> > Thom

    >> Although I can see why you'd be doubting, Thomas (sorry, I guess
    >> you get that a lot); in fairness, Tina has been posting to this
    >> newsgroup for years.
    >> Although she's certainly not secretive about the business she's
    >> in; I've not, in the years that I've read here, seen a post that was
    >> simply self-promoting, and I've no doubt that this was a sincere
    >> warning to benefit the readers.

    > It was discussed on Slashdot recently:
    > http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/10/0425218&tid=95
    >
    > As it happens, Godaddy have already responded by 'locking' their
    > registrations.

    Then I guess I've nothing to 'worry' about then, huh? Who woulda thunk it?

    > It appears that they do live up to Thom's expectations, which are not
    > unreasonable even if complacent.

    :) Opinions, Tina?

    > It certainly doesn't hurt to be informed though, and to check who can
    > or can't be relied upon - this goes for pretty much all net-services
    > of course.

    Of course.

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004
  20. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Thom Guest

    anthonyberet <> wrote:

    > "Thom" <> wrote in message
    >> anthonyberet <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Thom" <> wrote in message

    >> > haha - for all your bluster you wont risk it though, will you? ;-)

    >> Bluster?
    >>
    >> I wouldn't call having the knowledge and forethought to register my
    >> domains anonymously any form of bluster.
    >>
    >> I prefer to think of it as ...
    >>
    >> Doing proper research.
    >>

    > Thats good - it turns out your registrar is a good one - wouldn't
    > hurt to have checked in the light of the ICANN decision though would
    > it? -

    Wasn't on *ME* to check. It was on "Tina" to know of which she spoke,
    before sounding the alarm in this newsgroup.

    Just because Affordable Hosting may have dropped the ball, it doesn't mean
    everybody *else* did.

    GoDaddy certainly didn't.

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 15, 2004