OT: It's the simple things

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by kpg, May 12, 2004.

  1. kpg

    kpg Guest

    This morning we started getting calls from
    customers saying they can't download updates.
    I check the IIS server and every thing looks
    fine, but going through the process as a customer
    would generates a name not resolved error. So a
    quick check shows that our domain name is no
    longer DNSing. I get on the DNS manager web site
    and find I'm locked out. So I call the DNS people
    and they inform me that they discontinued support
    for the DNS a month ago and disconnected the
    servers two days ago. They told me they had sent
    five e-mails notifying us about the impending
    change and one phone call when they saw that we
    did not switch over to the new servers.

    Really? I said. That should have crossed my desk.
    Well It seems the e-mail was eaten by our spam
    filter and upon asking about the phone call the
    receptionist gave me the note from two days ago
    - I thought it was a sales call, she said.

    So now I'm waiting 24-48 hours for the Internet
    to catch up.

    Ain't technology cool?

    kpg

    kpg, May 12, 2004

  2. kpg

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    > So now I'm waiting 24-48 hours for the Internet
    > to catch up.
    >
    > Ain't technology cool?

    bah... DNS is totally unnecessary... use your own hosts files.

    Jtyc, May 12, 2004

  3. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    Don't laugh. For some of the more insistent customers
    I considered having them add an entry to the hosts file,
    but then I regained my sanity. etc drivers what?

    > # Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\126477.htm (5/12/2004 4:38:18

    PM) #

    kpg, May 12, 2004
  4. kpg

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    > Don't laugh. For some of the more insistent customers
    > I considered having them add an entry to the hosts file,
    > but then I regained my sanity. etc drivers what?

    drivers/etc ;-)

    Jtyc, May 12, 2004
  5. kpg

    Mike Guest

    Double U Double U Double U DOT xname dot org
    Do your own DNS for free...

    Mike, May 12, 2004
  6. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    Well, I won't mention names (Network Solutions)
    but our service (Network Solutions) is pretty good.
    They (Network Solutions) have always done a good
    job. I am happy with them (Network Solutions).

    kpg

    kpg, May 12, 2004
  7. kpg

    Neil Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    "Jtyc" <jtyc_mcngp@spamblockerbitch!@yahoo.com> wrote in

    >> So now I'm waiting 24-48 hours for the Internet
    >> to catch up.
    >>
    >> Ain't technology cool?

    > bah... DNS is totally unnecessary... use your own hosts files.

    you also insist on static addresses for all computers don't you :)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 13, 2004
  8. kpg

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    > you also insist on static addresses for all computers don't you :)

    Nonsense. I use laplink to connect all my systems.

    Jtyc, May 13, 2004
  9. kpg

    > Nonsense. I use laplink to connect all my systems.

    Buddy, I think you are just Lantastic....

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 13, 2004
  10. kpg

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    > Buddy, I think you are just Lantastic....

    You guys... you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays.

    Jtyc, May 13, 2004
  11. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    Lantastic. Wow, haven't heard that in a while.

    Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind
    Memories, sweetened thru the ages just like wine

    kpg, May 13, 2004
  12. kpg

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > Lantastic. Wow, haven't heard that in a while.
    >
    > Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind
    > Memories, sweetened thru the ages just like wine

    Oh, tequila...
    I turn to you like a long lost friend.
    I want to kiss my Mexican cousin once again
    We'll cover every emotion
    From happiness to sorrow
    And the conversations I forget,
    You'll tell me about tomorrow.
    When the phone calls start,
    Am I in bed or in a hearse?
    The things you tell me about myself
    Can't make me feel any worse.

    Oh...
    I'm awful sorry you got pissed
    Just have to cross you off the list
    Of my true friends....
    And tequila's where that starts and where it ends...

    --

    KB - MCNGP "Phish Phan thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, May 13, 2004
  13. kpg

    Neil Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    "kpg" <> wrote in news:#KxHboPOEHA.892
    @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

    > Lantastic. Wow, haven't heard that in a while.

    and Laplink is still something you hear every day? How about Broklin
    Bridge? Do you like the new features of DOS 6? how about that WFW 3.11?

    ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 13, 2004
  14. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    Dude - you are so old.

    kpg, May 13, 2004
  15. kpg

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    > Dude - you are so old.

    I remember partitioning my 105MB hardcard 4 times because I was using DOS
    3.2.

    Jtyc, May 13, 2004
  16. kpg

    >> Dude - you are so old.

    > I remember partitioning my 105MB hardcard 4 times because I was using

    DOS
    > 3.2.

    I remember wishing I could get a 100meg HardCard (the real Plus
    Development kind) I was stiffed with 20 and 40mb ones. I also managed to
    get a few of those "brick on a stick" kind that _just_ fit in the
    original Compaq portables. (man those things could do a number on your
    knuckles).

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 13, 2004
  17. kpg

    Neil Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    "kpg" <> wrote in news:OYHIgQQOEHA.644
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > Dude - you are so old.

    fsck off, kid....

    grrrrrrrr....

    "youth is wasted on the young"

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 13, 2004
  18. kpg

    Kosh Guest

    Re: It's the simple things

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > "Jtyc" <jtyc_mcngp@spamblockerbitch!@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    > >> Dude - you are so old.

    > > I remember partitioning my 105MB hardcard 4 times because I was using

    > DOS
    > > 3.2.

    > I remember wishing I could get a 100meg HardCard (the real Plus
    > Development kind) I was stiffed with 20 and 40mb ones. I also managed to
    > get a few of those "brick on a stick" kind that _just_ fit in the
    > original Compaq portables. (man those things could do a number on your
    > knuckles).
    >
    > --
    > Neil MCNGP #30

    I still have a Working 10 meg Hard card.. <g> and a 320 meg ESDI hard drive
    And a Few Nonworking 5 inch full height 10 meg Boat anchors

    I remember networking Systems using RS 422 and thinking now great it was
    And who Remembers Windows 2.0 or 3.0 ?
    or all the Fun when we finally got Dos 5.0 we were the shit then.
    But that was back when we messaged across Fidonet Bulletin Boards .

    And the internet was using Kermit to access all of those neat files off the
    Ftp Servers. usually at 1200 Baud.
    back when a 9600 baud USR was something you drooled over when you thought
    about owning one.
    and Memory was only $85.00 a Meg. running at 70Ns but then BG said 640k
    is enough for anyone ....

    Anyone want to talk Punchcards ?
    --
    Michael E MacDonald MCSE-Win2K + S, MCSE-NT4, MCSA-Win2K + S, MCP+I, MCP
    XP, A+, Security +

    Kosh, May 14, 2004
  19. Re: It's the simple things

    In article <Xns94E88105E49ACneilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248.16>,
    says...
    > original Compaq portables. (man those things could do a number on your
    > knuckles).

    I had one of those. Heavy bastids.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, May 27, 2004
  20. In article <c39b01c4386a$ff8658e0$>,
    says...
    > Double U Double U Double U DOT xname dot org
    > Do your own DNS for free...

    Not an option in a lot of corporate environments.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, May 27, 2004