    properly when replacing them: it says a new file the same size as the
    old one is larger. Maybe bits shrink as they age.)

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 12, 2006

  2. Graham

    Rick Guest

    Since you are having a problem with VMware, the
    CORRECT place to go is to the VMware Forums!

    What makes you think Microsoft would be
    responsible for the behavior of someone else's
    software?

    Rick, Jun 12, 2006

  3. This is not a Vista newsgroup.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 12, 2006
  4. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > This is not a Vista newsgroup.

    I said I know that. It is however a general 64-bit group.

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > Since you are having a problem with VMware, the CORRECT place to go is
    > to the VMware Forums!

    Hence the OT, however this IS a the windows.64bit.general newsgroup and
    so it is, in fact appropriate.

    > What makes you think Microsoft would be responsible for the behavior of
    > someone else's software?

    Sorry, where did I write or imply that is Microsoft's fault?

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 13, 2006
  6. But don't expect VMWare support except on VMWare forums.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 13, 2006
  7. You still won't get the answers here that you will on a Vista ng. This
    group has been discussing XP Pro and 2003 (including IA64) since release of
    those products. Some of us have an interest in Vista, but that is
    coincidental. You can lecture us on what we are all you want but all you
    will do is make strangers easily.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > You still won't get the answers here that you will on a Vista ng. This
    > group has been discussing XP Pro and 2003 (including IA64) since release of
    > those products. Some of us have an interest in Vista, but that is
    > coincidental. You can lecture us on what we are all you want but all you
    > will do is make strangers easily.

    I'm not lecturing anyone.

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 13, 2006
  9. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:

    > But don't expect VMWare support except on VMWare forums.

    I don't. I simply asked a question. I know that a number of people who
    frequent this group experiment a lot, and might have been able to say
    "yes, it worked for me" in which case I'd keep working at it, or "no it
    failed the same way for me" in which case I'd know it's the driver's
    fault. Instead of which I get hostile responses.

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 13, 2006
  10. Graham

    Noozer Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> This is not a Vista newsgroup.

    > I said I know that. It is however a general 64-bit group.

    Which means that discussion of 64 bit versions of Windows are welcome - AS
    LONG AS THERE ISN'T A MORE SPECIFIC NEWSGROUP AVAILABLE.

    The definition of "off-topic" is: Any posting sent to a newsgroup, when
    there is a more relevant newgroup available.

    Noozer, Jun 13, 2006
  11. Graham

    Rick Guest

    And by all means, it is not a VMware group!

    VMware has their own forums for problems with
    VMware.

    So, that is where anyone should go to find out
    information about VMware!

    Rick, Jun 13, 2006
  12. Graham

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    The 64-bit audio driver is on VMware's site, on the same page where you
    download VMware workstation.

    http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/
    (scroll down)

    Aaron Kelley, Jun 13, 2006
  13. Graham

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I apologize for jumping the gun a little.
    That driver works with Vista 64-bit, you just need to disable 64-bit
    driver signature checking.

    Run an elevated command prompt and type:
    bcdedit –set nointegritychecks ON

    Then reboot. Driver should work now.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jun 13, 2006
  14. Correct. The VMWare newsgroups are very active.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 13, 2006
  15. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Aaron Kelley wrote:
    > I apologize for jumping the gun a little.
    > That driver works with Vista 64-bit, you just need to disable 64-bit
    > driver signature checking.
    >
    > Run an elevated command prompt and type:
    > bcdedit –set nointegritychecks ON
    >
    > Then reboot. Driver should work now.

    Thank you, I hope that the GA Vista changes the message to one which
    actually describes the problem.

    BTW, this also answers the question which has been asked a number of
    times in *this* forum about whether this can be disabled for 64-bit
    Vista, and FWIW is the exact opposite of previous answers!

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 14, 2006
  16. sort of a switch

    I need to disable 64 bit driver signing so I can load highpoint 1820
    controller card can it be done for with in xp 64 bit before i load driver
    for vista? If so how what do you mean by elevated command prompt, command
    prompt ? I started with windows 98 quickly to 2000 and xp not real
    good at dos I have been running xp and xp 64 bit dual boot for some time
    only thing holding me back are drivers for scanners. printers are working
    great. an of course the missing PDF printer from adobe but work around does
    work thanks to this news group.

    Matt Schneyer, Jun 14, 2006
  17. Graham

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Graham" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Aaron Kelley wrote:
    >> I apologize for jumping the gun a little.
    >> That driver works with Vista 64-bit, you just need to disable 64-bit driver signature checking.
    >>
    >> Run an elevated command prompt and type:
    >> bcdedit –set nointegritychecks ON

    > Thank you, I hope that the GA Vista changes the message to one which actually describes the problem.
    >
    > BTW, this also answers the question which has been asked a number of times in *this* forum about whether this can be disabled for
    > 64-bit Vista, and FWIW is the exact opposite of previous answers!

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/64bit/kmsigning.mspx
    Roman

    roman modic, Jun 14, 2006
  18. Graham

    roman modic Guest

    roman modic, Jun 14, 2006
  19. Graham

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    They're saying that the bcdedit trick to disable the 64-bit driver
    signature check will *not* work in the RTM version of Vista, and maybe
    not even in RC1. I think it's annoying, but I see the reasoning. If
    they left it in, then, any driver installer could elevate itself
    (prompting you with that allow/deny thing, you allow it because it's a
    driver install after all), silently use bcdedit to disable the signature
    check, and then load a crappy driver.

    They can't enforce this for 32-bit because there are already enough
    unsigned drivers in circulation, I think it would cause a lot of
    complaining.

    Though I would love to have the option to disable it anyway... I am
    using unsigned drivers for my TV tuner and modem.

    Oh well, maybe driver support will improve. I'm sure VMware will
    provide a working driver.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jun 14, 2006
  20. Graham

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Re: sort of a switch

    To run an elevated command prompt, right-click the command prompt icon
    on the Start Menu and select "Run as Administrator."

    This is a Vista-only thing.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jun 14, 2006