  1. Guest

    Is Plato, Thor etc still around here?

    , Jun 16, 2008

  2. sandy58 Guest

    Re: Is anyone around from "the old days" ?

    On Jun 16, 11:40 am, wrote:
    > Is Plato, Thor etc still around here?

    WHAT "old days?

    sandy58, Jun 16, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Jun 16, 11:40 am, wrote:
    > Is Plato, Thor etc still around here?

    I haven't seen Thor for a long long time.

    if you search on www.google.com/groups for author:Thor

    you will see that.

    I don't remember Plato much but I see he is still around elsewhere.

    If you search for plato, you see there is a plato that posts to
    24hoursupport.helpdesk and a windowsxp general newsgroup.
    in the past a little in aus.computers and alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt

    You can check the EM, it's the same Plato as was here.

    , Jun 16, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Jun 16, 3:15 pm, sandy58 <> wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 11:40 am, wrote:
    >
    > > Is Plato, Thor etc still around here?

    > WHAT "old days?

    the days you didn't need glasses

    , Jun 16, 2008
  5. sandy58 Guest

    Re: Is anyone around from "the old days" ?

    On Jun 16, 9:06 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 3:15 pm, sandy58 <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Jun 16, 11:40 am, wrote:

    > > > Is Plato, Thor etc still around here?

    > > WHAT "old days?

    > the days you didn't need glasses

    SORRY, COULD YOU "UP" YOUR FONT SIZE. I CAN'T FIND MY GLASSES. :)

    sandy58, Jun 17, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Jun 17, 8:59 am, sandy58 <> wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 9:06 pm, ""
    >
    > <> wrote:

    > > > WHAT "old days?

    > > the days you didn't need glasses

    > SORRY, COULD YOU "UP" YOUR FONT SIZE. I CAN'T FIND MY GLASSES. :)

    nope,
    but you could try the windows magnifier ;-)
    start..run..magnify

    note: I had to look that one up, I don't think it existed in windows
    3.1 ! (when I would have tried every EXE in the windows directory, and
    there weren't -too- many).. I see from the icon,
    (start..programs..accessories...accessibility...magnifier) , this
    particular thing was is in c:\windows\system32\magnify.exe

    , Jun 17, 2008
  7. Guest

    Re: Is anyone around from "the old days" ?

    On Jun 16, 3:15 pm, sandy58 <> wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 11:40 am, wrote:
    >
    > > Is Plato, Thor etc still around here?

    > WHAT "old days?

    1997-2000ish I think.

    I just popped in to say, back then I used to "help" here (usually with
    very bad spelling) - but now I'm an IT Techy \o/

    , Jun 17, 2008
  8. Guest

    On Jun 17, 11:16 am, wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 3:15 pm, sandy58 <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Jun 16, 11:40 am, wrote:

    > > > Is Plato, Thor etc still around here?

    > > WHAT "old days?

    > 1997-2000ish I think.
    >
    > I just popped in to say, back then I used to "help" here (usually with
    > very bad spelling) - but now I'm an IT Techy \o/

    that doesn't explain why you stopped.

    Are you claiming to be Thor ?

    , Jun 17, 2008
  9. Re: Is anyone around from "the old days" ?

    On Jun 17, 1:21 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 11:16 am, wrote:

    > > > WHAT "old days?

    > > 1997-2000ish I think.

    > > I just popped in to say, back then I used to "help" here (usually with
    > > very bad spelling) - but now I'm an IT Techy \o/

    > that doesn't explain why you stopped.
    >
    > Are you claiming to be Thor ?

    -_0

    No, I was asking if Thor or Plato still posted here. They used to
    post quite a lot when I was here all those years ago. I popped in to
    say hello since I've not been here for a long time and was wondering
    if they were still around.

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 17, 2008
  10. Re: Is anyone around from "the old days" ?

    > No, I was asking if Thor or Plato still posted here.  They used to
    > post quite a lot when I was here all those years ago.  I popped in to
    > say hello since I've not been here for a long time and was wondering
    > if they were still around.- Hide quoted text -

    Perhaps I wasn't clear so I'll add some info here:

    I used to post here in alt.computer many years ago, when those two
    were around (Thor and Plato). Back then, IT was just a hobby. I've
    resubscribed because after all that time, I've actually landed a real-
    life job in IT now and I was popping in to say hi to the old members -
    but I don't recognise any of the posters here, hence my question :)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 17, 2008
  11. Guest

    On 17 Jun, 13:56, James Kerr <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Jun 17, 8:59 am, sandy58 <> wrote:

    > >> SORRY, COULD YOU "UP" YOUR FONT SIZE. I CAN'T FIND MY GLASSES. :)

    > > nope,
    > > but you could try the windows magnifier ;-)
    > > start..run..magnify

    > > note: I had to look that one up, I don't think it existed in windows
    > > 3.1 ! (when I would have tried every EXE in the windows directory, and
    > > there weren't -too- many).. I see from the icon,
    > > (start..programs..accessories...accessibility...magnifier) , this
    > > particular thing was is in c:\windows\system32\magnify.exe

    > I think a many regulars stopped subscribing to this group around 2001/2002,
    > when it was "invaded" by a number of trolls. One of which, as I recall,
    > used language that would have been given an "X" certificate by the most
    > tolerant of censors. (He kept changing his ID, so that it became too much
    > effort to filter out his posts.) I personally have only started reading
    > this group again in the last few months. It does seem to have much less
    > traffic than it did "back then".
    >
    > Jim

    the nice thing about a web interface is you don't need to set up a
    subscription every time you want to just visit a newsgroup once in a
    while.

    , Jun 17, 2008
  12. Re: Is anyone around from "the old days" ?

    On Jun 18, 2:56 am, dogbreath <> wrote:
    > I remember the days of Plato and Thor. And I remember the days when
    > this NG was dominated by trolls. I don't know if Plato and Thor left
    > because of the trolls or for some other reason. I think the trolls
    > have pretty much moved on to alt.os.windows-xp. I think Plato was and
    > still is the author ofwww.bootdisk.com.

    Aye, he ran (runs?) bootdisk.com :)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 18, 2008
  13. olfart Guest

    "Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <> wrote in message
    On Jun 18, 2:56 am, dogbreath <> wrote:
    > I remember the days of Plato and Thor. And I remember the days when
    > this NG was dominated by trolls. I don't know if Plato and Thor left
    > because of the trolls or for some other reason. I think the trolls
    > have pretty much moved on to alt.os.windows-xp. I think Plato was and
    > still is the author ofwww.bootdisk.com.

    Aye, he ran (runs?) bootdisk.com :)

    he's on 24hr helpdesk not

    olfart, Jun 18, 2008