OT: Infor for a Multi-Dim App

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Dragon, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    Howdy,

    I am looking for an explorer style application that might allow me to view
    files from different ways.

    For Example, I have the following file structure.

    C:\User1\Acct\Books.xls
    C:\User1\Acct\Cats.xls
    C:\User1\Purch\File1.doc
    C:\User2\Acct\Books22.xls
    C:\User2\Acct\Cats55.xls

    I know I can go through the file structure and look at the file for each
    user in the Acct folder. What I also want is to be able to attach files to a
    virtual folder so I can simply type c:\Acct (or something similar) and see
    all 4 accounting files. I guess you could say I am looking for a way to
    group files other than the folder structure.

    Any ideas?

    TIA

    Dragon

    Dragon, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Dragon

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Dragon" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > Howdy,
    >
    > I am looking for an explorer style application that might allow me to
    > view files from different ways.
    >
    > For Example, I have the following file structure.
    >
    > C:\User1\Acct\Books.xls
    > C:\User1\Acct\Cats.xls
    > C:\User1\Purch\File1.doc
    > C:\User2\Acct\Books22.xls
    > C:\User2\Acct\Cats55.xls
    >
    > I know I can go through the file structure and look at the file for
    > each user in the Acct folder. What I also want is to be able to attach
    > files to a virtual folder so I can simply type c:\Acct (or something
    > similar) and see all 4 accounting files. I guess you could say I am
    > looking for a way to group files other than the folder structure.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dragon

    Yeah, change your file structure and put all the files in the same
    folder. <eg>

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Definitely not wearing any underwear."

    catwalker63, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Dragon

    kpg Guest

    Re: Infor for a Multi-Dim App

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    ># Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\150078.htm (10/14/2004 4:51:38
    >PM) #
    > Howdy,
    >
    > I am looking for an explorer style application that might allow me to view
    > files from different ways.
    >
    > For Example, I have the following file structure.
    >
    > C:\User1\Acct\Books.xls
    > C:\User1\Acct\Cats.xls
    > C:\User1\Purch\File1.doc
    > C:\User2\Acct\Books22.xls
    > C:\User2\Acct\Cats55.xls
    >
    > I know I can go through the file structure and look at the file for each
    > user in the Acct folder. What I also want is to be able to attach files to
    > a virtual folder so I can simply type c:\Acct (or something similar) and
    > see all 4 accounting files. I guess you could say I am looking for a way
    > to group files other than the folder structure.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dragon

    No. But the syntax would be c:\*\acct\*.*

    :)

    This would be an easy little program to write as a command line util and
    just a little harder for an 'explorer' type app (depending on the B&W)

    kpg

    kpg, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Dragon

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Infor for a Multi-Dim App

    dfs?

    Consultant, Oct 15, 2004
  5. Dragon

    kpg Guest

    Re: Infor for a Multi-Dim App

    "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > dfs?

    awesome

    kpg, Oct 15, 2004
  6. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    Re: Infor for a Multi-Dim App

    hmm, not for single systems on a daily basis.Too many files changing.

    I think this is suppose to be feature of Longhorn (unless they have taken it
    out).

    Dragon, Oct 15, 2004
  7. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    Re: Infor for a Multi-Dim App

    Very true.

    You could probably create a cmd file and leave it to run whenever you want.
    The only problem I see if with having multiple grouping. You file structure
    may not always be same for every user. So it might be nice to simply right
    click on the file, Add to Group, Select an existing group or create a new
    one. This way you can simply see all the files that are part of a group. I
    guess similar to how you can group contacts in outlook.

    Dragon, Oct 15, 2004