    check them out prior to getting a membership...

    http://newsguy.com/mini.htm

    ~Paul
    Paul, Sep 16, 2009

  2. Paul

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found a
    > decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't excited
    > with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a look.
    >
    > For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
    > search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you can
    > check them out prior to getting a membership...
    >
    > http://newsguy.com/mini.htm

    newsguy is one of the absolute worst usenet providers on this planet.
    do not even consider them. try something like eternal-september.org for
    free, or news.individual.net for a very low fee. and i notice you are
    posting from newsguy, are you a shill?

    my isp used to use newsguy to provide usenet and ditched them for
    incompetence and numerous other issues. among the problems were
    multiple outages lasting for several days, sometimes as much as a full
    week. that means *no* usenet *at all*. nothing. zip. newsguy only had
    excuses such as 'hardware failure, sorry'. ever heard of backup
    hardware? you don't take the *whole system down* and replace it when
    there's no fallback plan.

    one time, newsguy scheduled what was to be a 1-2 day upgrade over a
    holiday weekend. that alone was an idiotic move, since a holiday
    weekend is when people are not at work and might have some free time to
    use usenet. something went wrong with the upgrade and the outage lasted
    a week! they did get it working, but missing articles and connection
    problems lingered for 2-3 weeks *after* that. i have never witnessed
    such incompetence in many, many years.

    newsguy's website only allowed access to status reports to those who
    paid newsguy directly. people who had newsguy via an isp could not get
    any update whatsoever, no matter how hard they tried. i could only find
    hints that something was going on. in fact, isp users were never
    informed there would be any outage, so when it happened, it was a
    surprise. call my isp? i did, and they knew less than i did about what
    was going on. newsguy.general was off limits to isp subscribers, so i
    (and other isp customers) had *no* idea why the service was off.

    i celebrated the day i heard they switched providers.

    there are many usenet providers, and something *other* than newsguy
    would be a very wise choice.
    nospam, Sep 16, 2009

  3. Paul

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:31:30 +0000, Paul wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found
    > a decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't
    > excited with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a
    > look.
    >
    > For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
    > search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you
    > can check them out prior to getting a membership...
    >
    > http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
    >
    > ~Paul

    I've used news.individual.net for several years - one euro per month.
    ray, Sep 16, 2009
  4. Paul

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found a
    > decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't excited
    > with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a look.
    >
    > For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
    > search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you can
    > check them out prior to getting a membership...
    >
    > http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
    >
    > ~Paul

    I'm using motzarella. I believe there is a trivial one time setup fee.
    It worked fine for ages although I'm seeing a strange problem with
    sorting but only for this group. Possible it's Thunderbird. Anyway, it
    seems to be reliable.
    Dave Cohen, Sep 16, 2009
  5. Paul

    nospam Guest

    In article <h8rfeu$rmt$-september.org>, Dave Cohen
    <> wrote:

    > I'm using motzarella.

    not anymore you aren't. they are now eternal-september.org.

    > I believe there is a trivial one time setup fee.

    nope.

    > It worked fine for ages although I'm seeing a strange problem with
    > sorting but only for this group. Possible it's Thunderbird. Anyway, it
    > seems to be reliable.

    occasionally it doesn't connect, but a few minutes later it does. it's
    pretty damned good for free and *much* better than the crap that was
    being shilled.
    nospam, Sep 16, 2009
  6. Paul

    Bigguy Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:31:30 +0000, Paul wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found
    >> a decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't
    >> excited with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a
    >> look.
    >>
    >> For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
    >> search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you
    >> can check them out prior to getting a membership...
    >>
    >> http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
    >>
    >> ~Paul

    > I've used news.individual.net for several years - one euro per month.

    Ditto here...

    I'm happy with news.individual.net

    Guy
    Bigguy, Sep 17, 2009
  7. Paul

    iws Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    | In article <>, Paul
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | > Hi,
    | >
    | > My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found
    | > decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't excited
    | > with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a look.
    | >
    | > For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
    | > search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you
    can
    | > check them out prior to getting a membership...
    | >
    | > http://newsguy.com/mini.htm

    Not that great a deal if you want binaries because you're limited to
    3GB/month. So that's only 18GB for your $12. I bought a block of 180 GB from
    astraweb for $25. That's about 1/5 the cost per GB and you're not on any
    kind of a monthly schedule. Use the entire block in 1 week or 10 years -
    doesn't matter.
    iws, Sep 17, 2009
  8. Paul

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On 16 Sep 2009 08:31:30 GMT, Paul <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found a
    >decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't excited
    >with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a look.
    >
    >For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
    >search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you can
    >check them out prior to getting a membership...
    >
    >http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
    >
    >~Paul

    Then there is http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

    You should check out their Agent Premium News news feed options.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Sep 17, 2009
  9. Paul

    Dave Cohen Guest

    nospam wrote:
    > In article <h8rfeu$rmt$-september.org>, Dave Cohen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using motzarella.

    > not anymore you aren't. they are now eternal-september.org.
    >
    >> I believe there is a trivial one time setup fee.

    > nope.
    >
    >> It worked fine for ages although I'm seeing a strange problem with
    >> sorting but only for this group. Possible it's Thunderbird. Anyway, it
    >> seems to be reliable.

    > occasionally it doesn't connect, but a few minutes later it does. it's
    > pretty damned good for free and *much* better than the crap that was
    > being shilled.

    You're correct about the name. I figured anyone doing a search would get
    the correct download. You are also correct about the fee. I was too lazy
    to look it up. It was teranews that charged.
    Dave Cohen, Sep 18, 2009
  10. "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:31:30 +0000, Paul wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My ISP recently dropped newsgroups, and after some trial & error I found
    >> a decent backup. If you've also lost Usenet access and you aren't
    >> excited with the free alternatives like Google, they may be worth a
    >> look.
    >>
    >> For $2 month I get binary & text groups, NNTP & Web access, newsgroup
    >> search, and SSL encryption. They also offer a free 2 day trial so you
    >> can check them out prior to getting a membership...
    >>
    >> http://newsguy.com/mini.htm
    >>
    >> ~Paul

    > I've used news.individual.net for several years - one euro per month.

    That service works fine & I use it but text only, no binary newsgroups.

    Regards Mike.
    Mike Cawood, HND BIT, Sep 18, 2009