OT: I saw the ISA 2004 sales pitch...

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Rowdy Yates, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    at Microsoft offices...

    very neat product. looks like they improved on ISA 2000 is a good way.

    the quarantine feature seems very handy (if it works as well in real
    prduction environment as it did in the presenation!)

    question: during the MS guys presentation of the quarantine feature, he
    used scripts e.t.c... command promtps windows came up as it checked the
    reference file it uses blahh blahh.

    i assume that this can all be done by hiding the command prompt windows
    (i.e. silent mode) so the users don't actually see these arcaic DOS windows
    open and close on their screens at home, right?

    (you never get amazed at the things users will complain about....)

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE
    --
    Rowdy's Home Page
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Thanks for the insight Rowdy!

    I've began looking at ISA for a relatively modest implementation. Did the rep at Msoft give you an approximate release date? I also heard a rumor about a name change for the product. Any hint about that?

    Jeff Crimmins - MCSE, MCSA

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZiBDcmltbWlucw==?=, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Rowdy Yates

    Kat Guest

    For the record, you CAN make the dos prompts silent (invisible to end user).

    Just in case anyone's considering that a purchase factor. Can send
    instructions is you're REALLY interested.,... but my time's valuable.. Have
    to make it worth my while.

    That would be a great excuse for a wife as to why you were sending chocolate
    to some girl on the internet, would it not?

    Hint hint...

    Kat

    Kat, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZiBDcmltbWlucw==?=" <Jeff

    > Thanks for the insight Rowdy!
    >
    > I've began looking at ISA for a relatively modest implementation. Did
    > the rep at Msoft give you an approximate release date?

    nope.

    > I also heard a
    > rumor about a name change for the product. Any hint about that?

    nope. but i got a pretty trial CD and it says ISA 2004 on it.

    > Jeff Crimmins - MCSE, MCSA

    it seems to cost a lot. without some sort of corp. discount. it will run
    around.

    ISA 2004 is $1500 US
    WIN 2003 is $1000 US
    Harware is $1000 US (at least/approx)

    you can get a Cisco PIX 525 unlimited bundle for $4000 US
    Rowdy Yates, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "Kat" <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: OT: I saw the ISA 2004 sales pitch...
    > From: "Kat" <>
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    >
    > For the record, you CAN make the dos prompts silent (invisible to end
    > user).
    >
    > Just in case anyone's considering that a purchase factor. Can send
    > instructions is you're REALLY interested.,... but my time's valuable..
    > Have to make it worth my while.
    >
    > That would be a great excuse for a wife as to why you were sending
    > chocolate to some girl on the internet, would it not?
    >
    > Hint hint...

    i thought chocolates only worked for passwords?

    Will Trade Passwords For Chocolate
    http://www.securitypipeline.com/news/18902074

    :)

    i was sitting too far back, i couldnt tell if the DOS windows were part
    of the product or the MS guys own scripting.i doubt it would be a
    purchasing factor.

    but, as posted earlier, ISA seems to cost a lot if you are just going to
    use is as a basic FW. i do like the ability to intergrate it into AD user
    groups.

    i come from the school of, "if it's burnt into a chip and designed by an
    engineer and it's a closed system, it's gonna work much faster and be
    less prone to failure". pretty GUI's in a FW scare me.
    Rowdy Yates, Jul 1, 2004
  6. Rowdy Yates

    Neil Guest

    Rowdy Yates <> wrote in

    > pretty GUI's in a FW scare me.

    true sign of an unhardened shell...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Jul 1, 2004
  7. Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Neil <> wrote in

    > Rowdy Yates <> wrote in
    >
    >> pretty GUI's in a FW scare me.

    > true sign of an unhardened shell...

    i just scored me a SANS "linux firewalls" book for dirt cheap.....

    ding dong...
    Rowdy Yates, Jul 6, 2004