OT : HP may diminish the number of layoffs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mark_hpq@yahoo.com, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Sep 20, 2005

  2. Adam Russell Guest

    Re: HP may diminish the number of layoffs

    <> wrote in message
    > According to the Mayor of grenoble who met HP's vice-presidents
    > in California.

    Makes sense that if you have an agreement to lighten up on the taxes in
    order to get jobs that there may be some leverage to not lay people off.
    Maybe they threatened to collect on past taxes not paid due to backroom
    handshakes.
    Adam Russell, Sep 20, 2005

  3. GTO Guest

    GTO, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Phil Scott Guest

    Re: HP may diminish the number of layoffs

    "Adam Russell" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > <> wrote in message
    >> According to the Mayor of grenoble who met HP's
    >> vice-presidents
    >> in California.

    > Makes sense that if you have an agreement to lighten up on
    > the taxes in order to get jobs that there may be some
    > leverage to not lay people off. Maybe they threatened to
    > collect on past taxes not paid due to backroom handshakes.

    HP's problem is too many model changes, and lack of a standard
    operating system...each of their buggy wonders has its own
    tricks and its difficult for them to hire and train help desk
    people who can sort it out efficiently...also on a DSL account
    it takes 2 hours to download a driver for a combo printer
    scanner fax that washes dishes, phones home, and changes
    diapers. Too much crap on one machine same with
    Microsoft.

    the chinese are about to eat both companies alive with much
    simpler products..and drivers (linux based)

    Phil Scott

    Phil Scott, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Bob Koehler Guest

    In article <dgs1g7$5fl$>, "Phil Scott" <> writes:

    > HP's problem is too many model changes, and lack of a standard
    > operating system

    Right, we really need a "standard" operating system. One size
    fits all ...

    ... hackers.
    Bob Koehler, Sep 21, 2005
  6. Neil Rieck Guest

    > <> wrote in message
    >> According to the Mayor of grenoble who met HP's vice-presidents
    >> in California.

    > Makes sense that if you have an agreement to lighten up on the taxes in
    > order to get jobs that there may be some leverage to not lay people off.
    > Maybe they threatened to collect on past taxes not paid due to backroom
    > handshakes.

    I'm not up on all the stuff going on in Europe, but I do know that a year or
    so back the French Government convinced big business to adopt a 32 hour work
    week but employees would still get 40 hours of pay. Also, the government
    expected those businesses to hire more people to cover the now vacant time
    slots. In order to do this fairly the government did make corporate tax
    concessions. (From the point of view of the government, it made more sense
    to keep a bigger chunk of the population employed which means more income
    taxes)

    Germany has had a national 4-day work-week for years now but I don't know
    whether there were corporate tax concessions made to enable it.

    I guess I don't need to mention that 60 hour work weeks were the norm 80
    years ago

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.