  1. Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    unluckylanding, Jan 12, 2006

  2. unluckylanding

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    eitis says...
    > Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    > escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    > is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    Many employers make up the difference between Jury Duty pay and your
    salary/rate - check with them.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jan 12, 2006

  3. unluckylanding

    Donald Guest

    Re: how to avoid jury duty

    just tell the defence you think hes guilty

    Donald, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Re: how to avoid jury duty

    > Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    > escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    > is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    In Georgia, we get a Summons, not an invitation. You can postpone your
    service one time but unless you're hooked up equipment next to your hospital
    bed, you show up next time or the Sheriff comes to get you. Not a bad system
    actually-- it levels the playing field and we have a better class of jurors.

    Failing that kind of requirement, would you want your case heard by 12 guys
    not smart enough to get out of jury duty?

    Joe

    Joseph E. Johnston, Jan 12, 2006
  5. unluckylanding

    Ghostrider Guest

    unluckylanding wrote:

    > Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    > escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    > is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    Where do you live? In some places, it is not possible to
    be permanently relieved of jury service but just postpone
    the date. If your jurisdiction offers the one-day/one-trial
    criteria, it isn't so bad for the one day to appear. As for
    getting on a trial, it is both interesting and fun, provided
    the employer is continues to pay for days while on jury
    service. Ever served as a juror in a murder case and decided
    someone's fate? But if jury service is a financial hardship,
    tell it to the judge...it's his/her court and decision.

    Ghostrider, Jan 12, 2006
  6. unluckylanding

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, unluckylanding
    <> wrote:

    > Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    > escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    > is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    uh-huh.
    But you don't think it would be useful to know which country or state
    you are talking about?
    And you don't believe that their office might take such things into
    account?

    Mitch, Jan 12, 2006
  7. unluckylanding

    fkasner Guest

    Re: how to avoid jury duty

    Donald wrote:
    > just tell the defence you think hes guilty
    > "unluckylanding" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    >>escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    >>is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    Tell them during voir dire (jury member selections) that you don't work
    well with others and can indicate you are either a fierce right-winger
    or left-winger. Either way you will be viewes as offensive to some.

    fkasner, Jan 12, 2006
  8. unluckylanding

    Jack Guest

    Re: how to avoid jury duty

    > Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    > escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    > is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    In my area you could get out of it if you encounter economic hardship,
    especially for the one man self employed office. If you're not self employed
    see if your employer will pay you for those days off.

    Seniors over a certain age are exempt in my area.

    You could move out of the area or joint the arm forces.

    You could become a full time home caretaker but this doesn't pay the bills
    either.

    I had a summon once for jury duty and wrote to them that I no longer lived
    in the area. Even gave them my new address and phone number. Looks like the
    court were threatening me with an arrest warrant anyway. They were finally
    convinced that I really live in a different county but that was after about
    six months of going back and forth. Pretty hardup for warm bodies.

    Jack, Jan 12, 2006
  9. unluckylanding

    JANA Guest

    Re: how to avoid jury duty

    Go see your family physician. Tell him that you feel you are not emotionally
    fit to be able to handle the responsibility. If you can convince him of
    that, he can write you a medical letter to relieve you of the obligation.

    Another way, is to show that you are racially biased, or that you are not
    fit to act with the proper responsibility to do that type of obligation.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jan 12, 2006
  10. unluckylanding

    Zaphod Guest

    Re: how to avoid jury duty

    Jack wrote:
    > "unluckylanding" <> wrote in message
    > > Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    > > escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    > > is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    > In my area you could get out of it if you encounter economic hardship,
    > especially for the one man self employed office. If you're not self employed
    > see if your employer will pay you for those days off.
    >
    > Seniors over a certain age are exempt in my area.
    >
    > You could move out of the area or joint the arm forces.
    >
    > You could become a full time home caretaker but this doesn't pay the bills
    > either.
    >
    > I had a summon once for jury duty and wrote to them that I no longer lived
    > in the area. Even gave them my new address and phone number. Looks like the
    > court were threatening me with an arrest warrant anyway. They were finally
    > convinced that I really live in a different county but that was after about
    > six months of going back and forth. Pretty hardup for warm bodies.

    I got away with the self employed and nobody can do my job excuse a
    couple of times. Then I was forced show up for a one-day-one-trial. I
    was there a half day and they copped a plea so there was not trial and
    I got home early.

    The last time I had my business to run and had to take care of my wife
    who had been in an accident and suffered a brain injury.

    It seems like some people who are fully capable of serving never get
    called but after you get called once, they call you all the time.

    David

    Zaphod, Jan 13, 2006
  11. unluckylanding

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:aAzxf.11$,
    Leythos spewed forth:
    > In article <>,
    > eitis says...
    >> Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    >> escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    >> is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    > Many employers make up the difference between Jury Duty pay and your
    > salary/rate - check with them.

    Exactly. Where I work, when I do jury duty, the county pays me that $10/day
    check, and I turn that in to my payroll department. I get the same paycheck
    on Friday that I always would.

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 13, 2006
  12. unluckylanding

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: how to avoid jury duty

    In news:,
    unluckylanding spewed forth:
    > Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    > escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    > is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    Commit a felony. Most states don't allow felons to sit on a jury.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 13, 2006
  13. unluckylanding

    olfart Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:aAzxf.11$,
    > Leythos spewed forth:
    >> In article <>,
    >> eitis says...
    >>> Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    >>> escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    >>> is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    >> Many employers make up the difference between Jury Duty pay and your
    >> salary/rate - check with them.

    > Exactly. Where I work, when I do jury duty, the county pays me that
    > $10/day check, and I turn that in to my payroll department. I get the same
    > paycheck on Friday that I always would.

    5 or 10 bucks a day?? Where I live we get $35/day. Being retired the extra
    money comes in handy.

    olfart, Jan 13, 2006
  14. unluckylanding

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    olfart spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:aAzxf.11$,
    >> Leythos spewed forth:
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> eitis says...
    >>>
    >>> Many employers make up the difference between Jury Duty pay and your
    >>> salary/rate - check with them.

    >> Exactly. Where I work, when I do jury duty, the county pays me that
    >> $10/day check, and I turn that in to my payroll department. I get
    >> the same paycheck on Friday that I always would.
    >>

    > 5 or 10 bucks a day?? Where I live we get $35/day. Being retired the
    > extra money comes in handy.

    I bet. But I still work, so $10 is about 30 minutes worth <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 13, 2006
  15. unluckylanding

    gman Guest

    unluckylanding wrote:
    > Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    > escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    > is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    tell them you have a hearing condition that will effect your ability to
    be an effective juror.

    gman, Jan 13, 2006
  16. unluckylanding

    Fred Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:aAzxf.11$,
    >> Leythos spewed forth:
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> eitis says...
    >>>
    >>> Many employers make up the difference between Jury Duty pay and your
    >>> salary/rate - check with them.

    >> Exactly. Where I work, when I do jury duty, the county pays me that
    >> $10/day check, and I turn that in to my payroll department. I get the
    >> same paycheck on Friday that I always would.
    >>

    > 5 or 10 bucks a day?? Where I live we get $35/day. Being retired the extra
    > money comes in handy.

    There's the answer - retire!

    Fred, Jan 13, 2006
  17. unluckylanding

    Ukuntu Guest

    gman wrote:

    > unluckylanding wrote:
    >> Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    >> escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    >> is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    > tell them you have a hearing condition that will effect your ability to
    > be an effective juror.

    Pardon?

    Ukuntu, Jan 13, 2006
  18. Re: how to avoid jury duty

    Tell them you know the Defendant :-D

    Forexample: John Smith, Jan 13, 2006
  19. unluckylanding

    Alfred Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:49:02 GMT, unluckylanding
    <> wrote:

    >Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    >escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    >is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    Well since you seem to reside in the good ol'e USA why not suck it up
    accept the invitation and do your duty. What happened to the sense of
    responsibility that people used to have. This may come as a surprise,
    but there is a higher responsibility than that pay you may or may not
    loose for a few hours or a couple of days from your life.

    Having worked in law enforcement for 23 years I am totally amazed by
    people that just will not get involved. But when they are the victim,
    by GOD why isn't something being done about the outrage that has been
    done to me.

    If this was a large, long lasting trial, most jurisdictions 1. enlist
    a larger jury pool to pull from and 2. let you know right up front
    that this could be one of those extended things so that the
    prospective jurors can make arrangements with their employers and
    other necessities. If this extended stay will jeopardize a job, then
    people can and are excused from the jury pool for that event.

    So go ahead, find an out, shirk that all important duty that helps
    assure that the system is as fare as possible. Get out of it so you
    can buy that video game you can't live without, or heaven forbid that
    you should have to eat at home an extra night instead of eating out.

    Just remember that when your daughter or son gets killed by the drunk
    driver or the burglar breaks in and steals all of your valuable
    possessions and then gets off because the jury pool for the trial that
    involves your case could have used some Clorox. You got what you
    earned.

    Just remember, nothing in life is free. Are you willing to pay your
    fair share to receive a fair return?

    Alfred, Jan 13, 2006
  20. unluckylanding

    Plato Guest

    unluckylanding wrote:

    > Recently I have been invited to attend a jury. Any ideas on how to
    > escape this? It is not that I do not want to serve the community, it
    > is just that 5 bucks a day won't pay the bills.

    It depends on the state you live in, assuming you live in the usa.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 13, 2006