    ~Beowulf

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Beowulf

    Paul W. Ross Guest

    I've done a lot of writing, etc., in a different venue, but these are
    the issues:

    1. Finding a publisher that will publish your work.

    2. The market -- B&N search is a good idea to see what you are up
    against for competition. Is there a particular publisher you would
    like to work with.

    3. Color or B&W? I would think B&W

    4. One print per page, or both sides?

    5. Text/captions?

    6. What are the original negatives, or are they digital? Are they good
    enough to cleanly enlarge/print at 8x10 or 11x14?

    7. Do you have enough of a professional reputation that your work
    would be "marketable"??

    A place to start... GOOD LUCK!
    Paul W. Ross, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 11:10:46 -0700, Paul W. Ross wrote:

    > I've done a lot of writing, etc., in a different venue, but these are
    > the issues:
    > 1. Finding a publisher that will publish your work.

    That I have a bit of experience in, with writing, not photography. I
    will start putting proposals out to publishers.

    > 2. The market -- B&N search is a good idea to see what you are up
    > against for competition. Is there a particular publisher you would
    > like to work with.

    Good suggestion.

    > 3. Color or B&W? I would think B&W

    B&W primarily, but I would like some color or minimally some new forms
    of B&W where I allow selective color to show through a sandwiched B&W and
    color.

    > 6. What are the original negatives, or are they digital? Are they good
    > enough to cleanly enlarge/print at 8x10 or 11x14?

    Digital primarily, but I plan to use some film negs. Digital are 8MP
    hi-res taken with Canon 10D. Film negs taken with Canon Rebel SLR film
    camera and Ilford Professional film. Both print very nicely at even
    16x20 glossy prints, so 8x10 or 11x14 should be easily doable.

    > 7. Do you have enough of a professional reputation that your work would
    > be "marketable"??

    None yet, this is where I am weak. I am ready to start showing my work
    at galleries, that should help. I know a reputation helps, but
    publishers can also bullsh*t a bit if they have something to work with
    -- gallery showings at a minimum I should think. I will start entering
    my photos in contests, etc.

    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Beowulf

    Mark M Guest

    "Beowulf" <> wrote in message
    > Digital primarily, but I plan to use some film negs. Digital are 8MP
    > hi-res taken with Canon 10D.

    Hmmm...
    Where'd you find an 8MP 10D?
    :)
    Mark M, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:40:01 -0700, Mark M wrote:
    > Hmmm...
    > Where'd you find an 8MP 10D?
    > :)

    My bad -- I meant 6MP

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Beowulf wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:40:01 -0700, Mark M wrote:
    > ..
    >> Hmmm...
    >> Where'd you find an 8MP 10D?
    >> :)

    > My bad -- I meant 6MP

    How about self-publishing?
    Jonathan Oman, Aug 10, 2004
  7. Beowulf

    Paul W. Ross Guest

    The self-publishing "vanity press" can be an expensive deal,but there
    are publishers that do that. You have to "front" the money for the
    book, and hope you break even.

    I had fogotten about the prospectus/proposal thing, as most of my
    writing has been "for hire," or with publishers that wanted a specific
    topic. My background is in computer science and computer applications.

    Get a booklet on how to write a prospectus. It is essentially a sales
    document, and turns into the preface/introduction to the book.

    I think there is also a book out there that lists all US and some
    foreign publishers, what they do, where they are, etc., etc.

    Getting some showing/exhibits is a good thing as well.
    Paul W. Ross, Aug 10, 2004
  8. Beowulf

    Charlie Self Guest

    Paul Ross responds:

    >I think there is also a book out there that lists all US and some
    >foreign publishers, what they do, where they are, etc., etc.

    Writer's Market. www.writersmarket.com

    It doesn't list anywhere near all, and some are outdated, but the on-line
    version is better, more complete, more up-to-date. I've been using that for a
    few years, but the book edition for more than a few, starting about '67.

    Charlie Self
    "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
    those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
    Baker
    Charlie Self, Aug 10, 2004