OT: How I vote

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Frisbee®, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. Frisbee®

    Frisbee® Guest

    I'm registered as an independent. I hate Republicans and Democrats equally.

    So basically, I keep score of who does the dirtiest campaigning, and I vote
    for the other guy.

    Take the Florida Governor's race, for example.

    Crist (Rep) has been slamming Davis (Dem) with ads that harp on his "he's
    never there!" stuff (Davis is a congressman currently, I think) His ads say
    "Five bills passed in ten years" and show an empty chair running around
    Washington. It also says he has the second-worst attendance record in
    congress. Sadly, in two televised debates, Davis never addressed the
    attendance records that I could tell.

    Some Democratic person approached me at my home the other night, and I asked
    him about it. He said Davis' roll call attendance was at 97%. Sheesh.
    Crist made it sound like it was less than 50%. I can live with 97%. How
    many of us have a better attendance than that at our jobs? I'm close to
    100% myself, but missing three days out of every 100 ain't so bad.

    It does seem that in general it's the Republicans that are the nastiest
    about slinging mud, but there are exceptions. Why do they do this? Aren't
    most of us prone to vote against the mud slingers? Especially when they
    carefully word them so that they're technically true, but highly
    mis-leading. I figure if they'll do that while campaigning, then they'll do
    it in office, too.

    Just my 1.99999 cents.
    Frisbee®, Nov 2, 2006

  2. Frisbee®

    Lnkwizard2 Guest

    Re: How I vote

    "Frisbee®" <> wrote in message
    > I'm registered as an independent. I hate Republicans and Democrats
    > equally.
    >
    > So basically, I keep score of who does the dirtiest campaigning, and I
    > vote for the other guy.
    >
    > Take the Florida Governor's race, for example.
    >
    > Crist (Rep) has been slamming Davis (Dem) with ads that harp on his "he's
    > never there!" stuff (Davis is a congressman currently, I think) His ads
    > say "Five bills passed in ten years" and show an empty chair running
    > around Washington. It also says he has the second-worst attendance record
    > in congress. Sadly, in two televised debates, Davis never addressed the
    > attendance records that I could tell.
    >
    > Some Democratic person approached me at my home the other night, and I
    > asked him about it. He said Davis' roll call attendance was at 97%.
    > Sheesh. Crist made it sound like it was less than 50%. I can live with
    > 97%. How many of us have a better attendance than that at our jobs? I'm
    > close to 100% myself, but missing three days out of every 100 ain't so
    > bad.
    >
    > It does seem that in general it's the Republicans that are the nastiest
    > about slinging mud, but there are exceptions. Why do they do this?
    > Aren't most of us prone to vote against the mud slingers? Especially when
    > they carefully word them so that they're technically true, but highly
    > mis-leading. I figure if they'll do that while campaigning, then they'll
    > do it in office, too.
    >
    > Just my 1.99999 cents.

    When I was in the process of getting my BS in Computer stuff, I had
    the great fortune of getting to take a Political Science class with
    a professor who actually worked in the politcal process. He never
    told us his party affiliation but he really was part of the politcal
    machinery in the state where I was taking the class. He boiled
    the entire process down into two simple ideas.

    A.) Politicians who are not in office want to be in office to get a
    paycheck like you and I do.

    10.) Those who are in office want to stay there so they can keep
    collecting their paycheck.

    So most of them will do or say anything to achieve those goals.
    Plus, most of the undecided electorate has become so jaded about
    political promises, that our campaign advertisements have become "don't
    vote for him because he is a scoundrel who lies and will screw you
    over," instead of "vote for me because I am not a scoundrel and I
    will tell you nice stories before I screw you over".
    Lnkwizard2, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Frisbee®

    BD[MCNGP] Guest

    Re: How I vote

    Sorry for piggybacking on lnkwizard2's poast. For some reason, Fris and
    Con's messages haven't been coming through on my system over the past two
    days.

    > "Frisbee®" <> wrote in message

    > It does seem that in general it's the Republicans that are the nastiest
    > about slinging mud, but there are exceptions.

    Odd, I've noticed just the opposite...it seems to be the Dems that like to
    sling mud. I'm sure I noticed that because I prefer to vote Rep., or maybe
    it's true, doesn't really matter.

    But like Kerry the other day. WHY did he feel that he needed to take a
    'jab' at Bush by telling those students that if they didn't study, they
    would end up in Iraq? Did Bush take a cheap 'jab' at Kerry? What was the
    purpose of that? What was he thinking before it slipped out of his piehole?
    What was he thinking after he said it? Did he even care that he said it?
    BD[MCNGP], Nov 2, 2006
  4. Frisbee®

    CBIC Guest

    Re: How I vote

    "BD[MCNGP]" <CertGuard> wrote in message

    > But like Kerry the other day. WHY did he feel that he needed to take a
    > 'jab' at Bush by telling those students that if they didn't study, they
    > would end up in Iraq? Did Bush take a cheap 'jab' at Kerry? What was the
    > purpose of that? What was he thinking before it slipped out of his
    > piehole? What was he thinking after he said it? Did he even care that he
    > said it?

    Normally I will not discuss politics but I will indulge with this poaste.
    The major issue with our governement officials is they are not the "common
    man" nor do they know what the "common man" goes through. Our elected
    officials in Washington are all rich and were more than likely born into a
    wealthy family. It takes big bucks to finance a campaign. The majority of
    Amerikuns are not wealthy. We need leadership that represents the majority
    of our population.

    My soapbox just broke so I'm done.
    CBIC, Nov 2, 2006
  5. Frisbee®

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: How I vote

    > Odd, I've noticed just the opposite...it seems to be the Dems that like to
    > sling mud.

    Mud slinging, as you call it, is not a political attribute, it is a human
    one. There are douche bags on all sides of the isle. The best you can do
    is ignore all political adds and read the information provided on the
    candidates, do a little research on your own, and make an informed decision.
    Again, I base my decision on who I feel will best represent me.
    Jtyc, Nov 2, 2006
  6. Frisbee®

    JaR Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 08:20:50 -0500, Frisbee® cast into the ether:

    > him about it. He said Davis' roll call attendance was at 97%. Sheesh.
    > Crist made it sound like it was less than 50%. I can live with 97%. How
    > many of us have a better attendance than that at our jobs? I'm close to
    > 100% myself, but missing three days out of every 100 ain't so bad.

    Just to keep that in context, this congress has the worst record in the
    history of the United States. By the end of the year, it is predicted that
    they will have met ~ 125 days, with some of those "days" being less tha 20
    minutes. According to the Washington Post, your Davis has missed over 25%
    of the votes in Congress. Not abstained, missed. He's the second worst
    after Lane Evans, with an astonishing 42% missed.

    http://tinyurl.com/be9hq

    > Why do they do this? Aren't
    > most of us prone to vote against the mud slingers? Especially when they
    > carefully word them so that they're technically true, but highly
    > mis-leading. I figure if they'll do that while campaigning, then
    > they'll do it in office, too.

    No, most of the voting public is that shallow. Lowest common denominator.
    They will remember the last nasty thing they heard when they vote.

    And yes, if they'll do it on a campaign, why in heck would you expect
    different in office.

    Once again, the sheeple get what they deserve.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 22
    JaR, Nov 2, 2006
  7. Frisbee®

    Cerebrus Guest

    Re: How I vote

    BD[MCNGP] wrote:

    > I'm sure I noticed that because I prefer to vote Rep.

    On that matter, I totally and unequivocally agree with you. :p
    Cerebrus, Nov 2, 2006
  8. Frisbee®

    JaR Guest

    Re: How I vote

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:57:36 -0600, BD[MCNGP] cast into the ether:

    > Odd, I've noticed just the opposite...it seems to be the Dems that like to
    > sling mud. I'm sure I noticed that because I prefer to vote Rep., or maybe
    > it's true, doesn't really matter.

    Maybe in your district that's true. Or maybe you just happen to agree with
    their opponents. *shrug*

    > But like Kerry the other day. WHY did he feel that he needed to take a
    > 'jab' at Bush by telling those students that if they didn't study, they
    > would end up in Iraq? Did Bush take a cheap 'jab' at Kerry? What was the
    > purpose of that? What was he thinking before it slipped out of his
    > piehole? What was he thinking after he said it? Did he even care that he
    > said it?

    Once again, we come to the fact that Kerry is an idiot. As far as the
    cheap jab, his whole speech that day was predicated on criticising Bush
    policies in Iraq. That is what pols do before an election, criticise their
    opponents. It matters not in the long run, because all anyone will
    remember of the address will be that thirty second sound bite played over
    an over to the moral indignation of those that see the gain in it. I have
    no doubt the he simply blew the line, and it came out wrong, but that just
    doesn't matter. He said it. It's out there. Like Howard Dean with his
    yeehaawing a couple of years ago, we recall nothing of the campaign but
    this overblown a$$ prancing about bellowing hysterically "Iowa! YAAAAAWWW!"

    We are controlled by those 30 second sound bites, and the vast unwashed
    that are fixated to their TV screens and know no bettter.

    To paraphrase and old saw: "No one ever went unelected by understimating
    the intelligence of the American Public"

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 22
    JaR, Nov 2, 2006
  9. Frisbee®

    Cerebrus Guest

    Re: How I vote

    JaR wrote:

    > JaR
    > MCNGP 22
    > Dept of Futility

    You know, I can just *feel* your frustration with all this. And I
    understand.
    Cerebrus, Nov 2, 2006
  10. Frisbee®

    Frisbee® Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 08:20:50 -0500, Frisbee® cast into the ether:
    >
    >> him about it. He said Davis' roll call attendance was at 97%. Sheesh.
    >> Crist made it sound like it was less than 50%. I can live with 97%. How
    >> many of us have a better attendance than that at our jobs? I'm close to
    >> 100% myself, but missing three days out of every 100 ain't so bad.

    > Just to keep that in context, this congress has the worst record in the
    > history of the United States. By the end of the year, it is predicted that
    > they will have met ~ 125 days, with some of those "days" being less tha 20
    > minutes. According to the Washington Post, your Davis has missed over 25%
    > of the votes in Congress. Not abstained, missed. He's the second worst
    > after Lane Evans, with an astonishing 42% missed.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/be9hq

    Someone else in another newsgroup showed me the congress web page, and it's
    actually worse than that. He was listed at 65%. This explains why he
    didn't try to defend himself on that issue, and apparently the democrat that
    met with me later believe in the "87% of all statistics are made up on the
    spot" mantra.

    So, it looks like I'm voting for one of the other two or three "also rans."
    Frisbee®, Nov 2, 2006
  11. Frisbee®

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: How I vote

    "Cerebrus" <> wrote in message

    > BD[MCNGP] wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure I noticed that because I prefer to vote Rep.

    > On that matter, I totally and unequivocally agree with you. :p

    Well then, it's a good thing you're not in America! :)
    Briscobar, Nov 2, 2006
  12. Frisbee®

    Briscobar Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message

    > Once again, the sheeple get what they deserve.

    The unfortunate thing for someone like you (who seems relatively informed
    and free-thinking), is that you also get what they deserve.
    Briscobar, Nov 2, 2006
  13. Frisbee®

    JaR Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:12:02 -0500, Briscobar cast into the ether:

    >> Once again, the sheeple get what they deserve.

    > The unfortunate thing for someone like you (who seems relatively informed
    > and free-thinking), is that you also get what they deserve.

    Ah, sadly, yes. But as I am often reminded, I still must get out and vote
    for at least one of the buggers, lest I lose my right to even b1tch about
    the system. Thereby perpetuating the myth that an informed vote somehow
    matters.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 22
    JaR, Nov 2, 2006
  14. Frisbee®

    Cerebrus Guest

    Re: How I vote

    Briscobar wrote:

    > Well then, it's a good thing you're not in America! :)

    Not sure I understand what you mean. Or if you understood what I meant.
    ;-)
    Cerebrus, Nov 2, 2006
  15. Frisbee®

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: How I vote

    "Cerebrus" <> wrote in message

    > Briscobar wrote:
    >
    >> Well then, it's a good thing you're not in America! :)

    > Not sure I understand what you mean. Or if you understood what I meant.
    > ;-)

    Yeah I'm quite dumb, possibly because I lean a little to the left, so I
    might not have grasped what you meant!
    Briscobar, Nov 2, 2006
  16. Frisbee®

    BD[MCNGP] Guest

    Re: How I vote

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:57:36 -0600, BD[MCNGP] cast into the ether:
    >
    >> Odd, I've noticed just the opposite...it seems to be the Dems that like
    >> sling mud. I'm sure I noticed that because I prefer to vote Rep., or
    >> maybe
    >> it's true, doesn't really matter.

    > Maybe in your district that's true. Or maybe you just happen to agree with
    > their opponents. *shrug*

    <no hat>

    Very possible, it seems to have become the 'norm' for both sides. I've been
    trying to ignore the name calling and just see how they attack the issues.

    >> But like Kerry the other day. WHY did he feel that he needed to take a
    >> 'jab' at Bush by telling those students that if they didn't study, they
    >> would end up in Iraq? Did Bush take a cheap 'jab' at Kerry? What was the
    >> purpose of that? What was he thinking before it slipped out of his
    >> piehole? What was he thinking after he said it? Did he even care that he
    >> said it?

    > Once again, we come to the fact that Kerry is an idiot.

    Agreed.

    > As far as the
    > cheap jab, his whole speech that day was predicated on criticizing Bush
    > policies in Iraq.

    Yeah, but I just don't understand the purpose behind it. Do they wake up
    every morning saying to their pretty faces in the mirror "I'm gonna fu©k up
    <so-n-so's> day today"?

    > That is what pols do before an election, criticise their
    > opponents.

    But should they not look at what can be criticized about themselves first?
    Make sure your ducks are in a row before you go shooting at someone else's.

    > It matters not in the long run, because all anyone will
    > remember of the address will be that thirty second sound bite played over
    > an over to the moral indignation of those that see the gain in it.

    Anyone got stock in Dead Horses these days? I'll bet they're rising
    steadily.

    > I have
    > no doubt the he simply blew the line, and it came out wrong, but that just
    > doesn't matter.

    No, I suppose it doesn't, I just know that I wasn't planning on voting for
    him to begin with, and this just reinforced my vote for the Rep. candidate.
    I'm not sure who will be running for Pres in a couple years, but rumor is
    that it will either be McCain or Giuliani. I'd like to see what their takes
    on the issues are.

    > He said it. It's out there. Like Howard Dean with his
    > yeehaawing a couple of years ago, we recall nothing of the campaign but
    > this overblown a$$ prancing about bellowing hysterically "Iowa!
    > YAAAAAWWW!"

    LOL.....what? who? oh yeah, that guy.

    > We are controlled by those 30 second sound bites, and the vast unwashed
    > that are fixated to their TV screens and know no bettter.

    Unfortunately, that is true. Fer-ghods-sakes people pick up a newspaper, or
    listen to the radio, at least change the friggin channel.

    > To paraphrase and old saw: "No one ever went unelected by understimating
    > the intelligence of the American Public"

    Nailed that one, you did.

    </no hat>
    BD[MCNGP], Nov 2, 2006
  17. Frisbee®

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: How I vote

    > I lean a little to the left

    They make shoes that can help with that.
    Jtyc, Nov 2, 2006
  18. Frisbee®

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: How I vote

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    >> I lean a little to the left

    > They make shoes that can help with that.

    I know, I'm wearing them! But the problem is worse than before! HELP!
    Briscobar, Nov 2, 2006
  19. Frisbee®

    CBIC Guest

    Re: How I vote

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message

    > "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    >>> I lean a little to the left

    >> They make shoes that can help with that.
    >>

    > I know, I'm wearing them! But the problem is worse than before! HELP!

    Switch each shoe to the other foot.
    CBIC, Nov 2, 2006
  20. Frisbee®

    BD[MCNGP] Guest

    Re: How I vote

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message

    > "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    >>> I lean a little to the left

    >> They make shoes that can help with that.
    >>

    > I know, I'm wearing them! But the problem is worse than before! HELP!

    That would mean that you've got them on the wrong feet then. Turn around
    and you'll be fine.
    BD[MCNGP], Nov 2, 2006