OT: Holden Astra - opinions?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew Gerald, Jun 25, 2005.

  1. Does anyone here have a Holden Astra, and if so, what are they like? I
    know this is primarily a 'chicks car', but do many guys drive these?
    Andrew Gerald, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Andrew Gerald

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Re: Holden Astra - opinions?

    "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone here have a Holden Astra, and if so, what are they like? I
    > know this is primarily a 'chicks car', but do many guys drive these?

    Pretty basic things.
    If you get it cheap enough, it's probably not bad.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 26, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone here have a Holden Astra, and if so, what are they like?

    I can't figure them out. They won't run Windows, nor is there any Linux
    distro available for them that I can see. Why would you want to buy one?

    >I know this is primarily a 'chicks car', but do many guys drive these?

    Keeping drivers up to date is a real problem on nonstandard hardware.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 26, 2005
  4. On 26/06/2005 10:59 a.m., Andrew Gerald wrote:
    > Does anyone here have a Holden Astra, and if so, what are they like? I
    > know this is primarily a 'chicks car', but do many guys drive these?

    I had an Astra CD 1.8 model as a lease vehicle from work for 18 months. As
    you'd expect, a bit on the small side for the two of us and a baby, but
    overall a good car. Aircon, power steering, comfortable seats, reasonable
    performance...and a brilliant 6 spk stereo (a Blaupunkt - not sure if it was
    standard or not).

    There was a bug in the EFI system somewhere in which very occasionally the car
    would start, cut out 1-2s later, then flatly refuse to fire despite 15-20s of
    cranking. The only workaround for it was to turn the ignition off for 30s and
    then try again, and then it was ok. Three of us at work with Astras all had
    the same problem, they were all 2001 models.

    I'd say they are reasonably good, and certainly a LOT cheaper to fill the tank
    than the Nissan Maxima Si that I got as a replacement (thankfully, both cars
    came with a fuel card). Mind you, the Maxima is my favourite ;-)

    reuben
    Reuben Farrelly, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Andrew Gerald

    JC Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Does anyone here have a Holden Astra, and if so, what are they like? I
    > know this is primarily a 'chicks car', but do many guys drive these?

    Driven one before which wasnt mine, it was quite a good car, found the
    seats to be too hard, but thats just a personal preference thing. Had a
    good stereo (Blaupunkt)Sp? and it was reasonably quick off the mark.

    Only thing I hated was the window wiper lever and indicator lever were
    reversed.

    btw, why was the original post in nz.comp?
    JC, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Andrew Gerald

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "JC" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Does anyone here have a Holden Astra, and if so, what are they like? I
    >> know this is primarily a 'chicks car', but do many guys drive these?
    >>

    > Driven one before which wasnt mine, it was quite a good car, found the
    > seats to be too hard, but thats just a personal preference thing. Had a
    > good stereo (Blaupunkt)Sp? and it was reasonably quick off the mark.
    >
    > Only thing I hated was the window wiper lever and indicator lever were
    > reversed.

    That's no problem they can be easily reversed with only a slight bit of
    modifying needed on one of the stalks for it to fit on the other side.
    It was actually done on not just one Astra but on 100s of the bastards.
    People soon get used to such differences in cars, but some dick at a
    Hospital board wanted them changed to be the same as his Ford Falcon, not
    for himself as he wasn't going to drive any of them anyway, but for the
    district nurses. Needless to say that nurses that were used to European
    controls found the stalks changed over a bit confusing till they got used to
    them.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 26, 2005
  7. Andrew Gerald

    Mercury Guest

    Just how many nurses have audi TT's?

    The europeans need to get there act together. I am sick of waving wipers
    when turning :)

    Mercury, Jun 26, 2005
  8. Andrew Gerald

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in message
    > Just how many nurses have audi TT's?
    >
    > The europeans need to get there act together. I am sick of waving wipers
    > when turning :)

    You'll get used to it, then by the time you do you'll probably change the
    car and have to get used to the other way.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 26, 2005
  9. Hi there,

    Andrew Gerald wrote:
    > Does anyone here have a Holden Astra, and if so, what are they like? I
    > know this is primarily a 'chicks car', but do many guys drive these?

    Not sure on the numbers, but when my partner and I visited her gran in
    Murchison once we went to the local pub for dinner in the grandmothers
    Astra. Partner and her gran got a bit tiddly, so designated me to drive
    the 10 minutes back to where we were staying. Nice quiet little car, and
    easy to drive. I'm 6'2" so was a tight fit in the drivers seat, but not
    bad. Bit gutless (I drove my VTEC 5-spd Prelude to Murchison), but does
    the job I guess...

    Probably are worse cars you could buy...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 27, 2005
  10. Andrew Gerald

    Bob McLellan Guest

    I've got one. Also had the 'efi' problem. The basics work but the
    details of using it are flaky. Does about 525km on 40 litres.

    Bob McLellan, Jun 27, 2005
  11. > btw, why was the original post in nz.comp?

    Oops, sorry, posted in wrong group!
    Andrew Gerald, Jun 28, 2005
  12. > Probably are worse cars you could buy...

    What would be better choices for a car of similar size and price?
    Andrew Gerald, Jun 28, 2005
  13. > I've got one. Also had the 'efi' problem. The basics work but the
    > details of using it are flaky. Does about 525km on 40 litres.

    How bad was this problem - did it happen often enough to become
    annoying? And since it seems to be a common problem, is there a known
    fix?
    Andrew Gerald, Jun 28, 2005
  14. Hi there,

    Andrew Gerald wrote:
    >>Probably are worse cars you could buy...

    > What would be better choices for a car of similar size and price?

    Perhaps Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, but you'd be splitting hairs
    to recommend one over any other in the mid-size category...

    Proof is in the pudding, so test drive each...that way you'll get
    a feel for which is gonna be most to your liking...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 29, 2005
  15. > Perhaps Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, but you'd be splitting hairs
    > to recommend one over any other in the mid-size category...

    Yeah a Toyota would be good since they have a good reputation for
    quality, but the Corollas are just, well, dull looking. I'm sure I've
    seen some sportier models around, but can't find any for sale.

    I did look at the Honda Civic hatchbacks and there are quite a few
    recent models within my price range, the only thing is I prefer the
    look of the older models than the newer ones!

    What about the Nissan Pulsars, what sort of reputation do they have?
    Andrew Gerald, Jun 29, 2005
  16. Hi there,

    Andrew Gerald wrote:
    >>Perhaps Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, but you'd be splitting hairs
    >>to recommend one over any other in the mid-size category...

    > Yeah a Toyota would be good since they have a good reputation for
    > quality, but the Corollas are just, well, dull looking. I'm sure I've
    > seen some sportier models around, but can't find any for sale.
    >
    > I did look at the Honda Civic hatchbacks and there are quite a few
    > recent models within my price range, the only thing is I prefer the
    > look of the older models than the newer ones!
    >
    > What about the Nissan Pulsars, what sort of reputation do they have?

    Reasonable as far as I know, although thats 2nd hand info. You
    could go Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Ford, and any other number of
    makers, and not really do worse one way or another...

    Its all personal preference, so test drives might answer your
    questions...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 29, 2005
  17. Andrew Gerald

    Bob McLellan Guest

    It has happened once in 6 weeks which is once too often.

    Bob McLellan, Jun 30, 2005