    Thanks
    SB
    (hate being a helpdesk but have to start some ware)

    SB, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Most help-desks are short-handed but 1 person cant be right. One of your
    other IT guys has to be able to fill in at least. i'm one of 3 guys covering
    a WAN of over 400 users...not counting projects we have to do. its weird how
    help desk is the most important position yet gets no treatment. i feel your
    pain but like you said it's a start

    =?Utf-8?B?SkQgbG91?=, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Re: helpdesk

    In news:0aeb01c4ff03$5ba5bdf0$,
    SB <> somehow managed to typed:

    > Just started working for as a help desk for a medical
    > location. They have a MIS manager (I still cant work out
    > what he dose exactly) Software developer (started with me
    > has some great ideas) and a IT director (more of a network
    > admin, looks after all the servers in 4 country's.) and me
    > the Helpdesk (I'm looking after some 200 client pc's and
    > phones in 3 different buildings working distance from each
    > other+ phone support for UK office with around 15 pcs, +
    > active directory) my question is it normal to have one
    > helpdesk looking after about 220 pc's, hardware and
    > software + phones?
    >
    > Thanks
    > SB
    > (hate being a helpdesk but have to start some ware)

    in one location we have 3 Helpdesk staff answering calls for 2500 users on
    roughly 1300 PCs but they don't look after the phone system. They answer on
    average 80 calls a day and you can normally only do one thing at once!
    Our Helpesk staff log calls and then escalate them to other teams depending
    on what the call is about. Sometimes we're lucky and they do calls
    themselves but not often.

    Who Goes There, Jan 20, 2005
  4. > my question is it normal to have one
    >helpdesk looking after about 220 pc's, hardware and
    >software + phones?

    in india, one helpdesk droid looks after 2,200 pc's, answers the phone
    and prepares a fine madras for lunch!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 20, 2005
  5. > its weird how
    >help desk is the most important position yet gets no treatment. i

    just think of all the credit card details you can steal and sell on to
    your buddy!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 20, 2005
  6. SB

    billyw Guest

    is that with popadoms and chutney??

    billyw, Jan 20, 2005
  7. >is that with popadoms and chutney??

    it damn well better be...

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 20, 2005
  8. SB

    Ben Guest

    Re: helpdesk

    Sounds fairly normal to me. We have 400+ users and 200+ workstations, and 1
    helpdesk that looks after software, hardware, phones, AND site maintenance
    (i.e. blocked toilets, flickering tube lights etc). She logs the call and
    assigns the job to either me or the other engineer if its PC based, or the
    site maintenance guy.

    Ben

    MCSA 70-210, 70-214, 70-215, 70-218
    "On my way to becoming fully certifiable!"
    "Thanks to God, I am Still an Atheist"

    Ben, Jan 21, 2005
  9. SB

    Ben Guest

    No rice for me, just a garlic & coriander nann please!

    Ben, Jan 21, 2005
  10. >No rice for me, just a garlic & coriander nann please!

    Consider it done kind sir.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 21, 2005