    -a dvd/vcr combo (or just a dvd recorder but with enough of the $600 left
    over to buy a separate vcr)

    thanks for any help!
    MauiJNP, Jan 14, 2005

  2. MauiJNP

    Guest

    I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
    is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
    selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
    light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
    the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
    videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
    reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
    other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
    the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??
    , Jan 14, 2005

  3. MauiJNP

    MauiJNP Guest

    >I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
    > is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
    > selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
    > light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
    > the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
    > videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
    > reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
    > other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
    > the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??

    my JVC does not record copyrighted vhs tapes if I'd want to dub them to DVD.
    I use a separate VHS to play them and run it through a video enhancer to
    record to dvd. as for other videotapes, like blanks, I can reuse them over
    and over and record them to dvd with no problems. is this what you can't
    do?
    MauiJNP, Jan 14, 2005
  4. MauiJNP

    ShadowRaptor Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
    > is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
    > selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
    > light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
    > the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
    > videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
    > reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
    > other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
    > the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??

    My Panasonic DMR-HS2 has a built-in 40G drive - good for around 8 hours at
    XP so I have to edit and offload to DVD-R a little more often. The Panny
    does not include any Macro defeat circuitry. It does not add any of this
    stuff to the DVD-R's it produces either.

    It has been very reliable for the past year and a half.

    Rob
    Canada
    ShadowRaptor, Jan 14, 2005
  5. MauiJNP

    Brian Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
    >is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
    >selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
    >light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
    >the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
    >videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
    >reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
    >other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
    >the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??

    I'll agree with that, the Pioneer DVD recorders are good value.
    If you want a Pioneer DVD Recorder with a larger hard drive then
    there's the Pioneer DVR-720 with a 160 gig hard drive. The features
    are simular to the Pioneer DVR-520.

    Regards Brian
    Brian, Jan 14, 2005
  6. MauiJNP

    MauiJNP Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
    >>is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
    >>selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
    >>light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
    >>the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
    >>videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
    >>reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
    >>other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
    >>the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??

    > I'll agree with that, the Pioneer DVD recorders are good value.
    > If you want a Pioneer DVD Recorder with a larger hard drive then
    > there's the Pioneer DVR-720 with a 160 gig hard drive. The features
    > are simular to the Pioneer DVR-520.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    does the Pioneer DVR-720 have the same macrovision problem. I don't like
    the sound of that.
    MauiJNP, Jan 15, 2005
  7. MauiJNP

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: "MauiJNP"
    Date: Fri, Jan 14, 2005 3:57 PM

    I am looking to trade my JVC vcr/dvd recorder in for a model with a hard
    drive. I can't spend more than $600. I was going to head to Best Buy
    tomorrow to look and trade in. Things I really want include:

    -a hard drive that holds at least 20 hours in XP quality
    -must use -R and -RW and Ram (I don't care about +R so it can have it or
    not)
    -easy to use
    -being allowed to edit right on the recorder with frame by frame edit points
    (no PC required)

    things I might want:

    -a dvd/vcr combo (or just a dvd recorder but with enough of the $600 left
    over to buy a separate vcr)

    thanks for any help!
    >><BR><BR>

    Best Buy reduced their $600 Panasonic VDV Recorder by $100. I think the price
    is good through Saturday (today). It has a 120 GIG drive and uses DVD-R and
    DVD-Ram. Doesn’t use DVD-RW but not sure that should be problem with a 120
    GIG drive. If you are wanting RW to loan out temporarily and then get back and
    reuse, the DVD-R Disks are so cheap now you can about give them away.

    I believe a 120 GIG drive will give you about 24-25 hours in XP mode. I rarely
    use it on my Panasonic since the 2 hour mode produces great results. Also,
    although my Panasonic uses Ram disks in addition to the DVD-R disks I have felt
    absolutely no need to use Ram disks with the availability of the Hard Drive.
    Maybe this is more important for in PC editing.

    Frame by Frame editing is available in the Panasonic and is easy to do.
    FredBillie, Jan 15, 2005
  8. MauiJNP

    Steve10 Guest

    Take a look at the Toshiba RD-XS32 (80 gig hard drive) or the RD-XS52
    (120 gig hard drive). I think they meet most of your requirements
    except no dual VHS capability. I got my XS32 from Amazon for $370.

    -Steve

    Steve10, Jan 15, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    "Steve10" <> writes:
    > Take a look at the Toshiba RD-XS32 (80 gig hard drive) or the RD-XS52
    > (120 gig hard drive). I think they meet most of your requirements
    > except no dual VHS capability. I got my XS32 from Amazon for $370.

    Ditto, I love my XS32 and highly recommend it. It supports -R -RW and
    RAM. Also has PVR functions too.

    David E. Bath, Jan 16, 2005