    Computer Science and Engineering
    Faculty of Chemical Engineering
    Åbo Akademi University, Finland

    Thomas Soininen, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Thomas Soininen

    Pique@boo Guest

    Thomas Soininen wrote:

    > Some friends of mine are, as part of an assignment for the course
    > Cryptography and Network Security, attempting to brute-force their
    > way through DES.

    I just don't see the point. The first RSA DES challenge over seven years
    ago may have prompted the development of faster algorithms, but it
    didn't really prove anything we didn't already know. Nor will this and I
    think whoever set the exercise should have picked keys from a limited
    keyspace that could be searched in a few weeks on an average box.

    ~pique@boo

    Pique@boo, Apr 23, 2004