OT: has Telecom scammed me?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. I am thinking of talking to the commerce commission, or maybe Fair Go.

    This was what happened: about half a year ago I was approached by a Telecom
    telemarketer if I would like to bring my tolls back to Telecom. He then read me
    a bunch of charges which I jotted down, I told him that I'd think it over and
    could he call me back. Actually he never did. Yet, about another month later I
    got another call, from another Telecom telemarketer and this time I knew that
    the prices I was offered were in fact better than what I would be paying Ihug;
    I'd also had a wee problem with Ihug (tolls not working, Telecom told me it
    wasn't their problems and I should talk to Ihug, yet I couldn't get through on
    Ihug's helpline) so I went for the Telecom offer. Fine. Good capped calls
    abroad and good rates for calling Telecom mobiles which is where my slim toll
    fees are.

    Fine until this week, when I got a phone call from another Telecom telemarketer
    who wanted to know what I wanted to do when my current special expires in
    March. Homeline or Anytime?

    My current WHAT? Anytime WHAT? - in both cases that I was approached I was
    never told that the rates I was offered were a limited time offer, I acted
    under the impression that these rates were a new tarrif.

    So I am wondering this: have other people had the same experience? Because if I
    hear that a number of people HAVE, then I shall take this further. If I am an
    isolated case, it won't be worth doing so.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Feb 11, 2006

  2. Peter Huebner

    gavin Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I am thinking of talking to the commerce commission, or maybe Fair Go.
    >
    > This was what happened: about half a year ago I was approached by a Telecom
    > telemarketer if I would like to bring my tolls back to Telecom. He then read me
    > a bunch of charges which I jotted down, I told him that I'd think it over and
    > could he call me back. Actually he never did. Yet, about another month later I
    > got another call, from another Telecom telemarketer and this time I knew that
    > the prices I was offered were in fact better than what I would be paying Ihug;
    > I'd also had a wee problem with Ihug (tolls not working, Telecom told me it
    > wasn't their problems and I should talk to Ihug, yet I couldn't get through on
    > Ihug's helpline) so I went for the Telecom offer. Fine. Good capped calls
    > abroad and good rates for calling Telecom mobiles which is where my slim toll
    > fees are.
    >
    > Fine until this week, when I got a phone call from another Telecom telemarketer
    > who wanted to know what I wanted to do when my current special expires in
    > March. Homeline or Anytime?
    >
    > My current WHAT? Anytime WHAT? - in both cases that I was approached I was
    > never told that the rates I was offered were a limited time offer, I acted
    > under the impression that these rates were a new tarrif.
    >
    > So I am wondering this: have other people had the same experience? Because if I
    > hear that a number of people HAVE, then I shall take this further. If I am an
    > isolated case, it won't be worth doing so.
    >
    > cheers, -Peter

    they did this to my father as well

    Gavin

    gavin, Feb 11, 2006

  3. Peter Huebner

    Rob Guest

    Re: has Telecom scammed me?

    Last month we switched back to telecom after they quoted us cheaper prices
    for tolls. However they never explained that they were limited time, and as
    far as I know they are for an unlimited time period. If they do revert back
    to a higher price after a period of time, I will just switch to another
    provider again. I think is is probably everything in writing from telecom,
    as they don't record their phone calls, and their verbal quotes they give
    are often wrong. We were once quoted a price for a new connection, and when
    we received the bill they had also added on labour charges ontop of the
    quoted connection fee. They never explained that labour fees would be added
    as we had requested an all inclusive price.

    Rob, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Re: has Telecom scammed me?

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:11:45 +1300, Rob wrote:

    > We were once quoted a price for a new connection, and when
    > we received the bill they had also added on labour charges ontop of the
    > quoted connection fee. They never explained that labour fees would be added
    > as we had requested an all inclusive price.

    And did you pay those added labour fees?

    I hope you did not.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > So I am wondering this: have other people had the same experience? Because if I
    > hear that a number of people HAVE, then I shall take this further. If I am an
    > isolated case, it won't be worth doing so.

    In a similar theme..

    Didnt pay the bastards for a few months so they temporarly suspended the line.
    Paid the overdue and it got reconnected ($49 for them to do sweet **** all) and
    gues whats on the new bill....

    MOTHERFUCKING WIRING MAINTANCE!!!!

    Gawddamn assholes slip that back on at every chance....

    Richard, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Peter Huebner

    jedmeister Guest

    Re: has Telecom scammed me?

    > I am thinking of talking to the commerce commission, or maybe Fair Go.
    >
    > This was what happened: about half a year ago I was approached by a
    > Telecom
    > telemarketer if I would like to bring my tolls back to Telecom. He then
    > read me
    > a bunch of charges which I jotted down, I told him that I'd think it over
    > and
    > could he call me back. Actually he never did. Yet, about another month
    > later I
    > got another call, from another Telecom telemarketer and this time I knew
    > that
    > the prices I was offered were in fact better than what I would be paying
    > Ihug;
    > I'd also had a wee problem with Ihug (tolls not working, Telecom told me
    > it
    > wasn't their problems and I should talk to Ihug, yet I couldn't get
    > through on
    > Ihug's helpline) so I went for the Telecom offer. Fine. Good capped calls
    > abroad and good rates for calling Telecom mobiles which is where my slim
    > toll
    > fees are.
    >
    > Fine until this week, when I got a phone call from another Telecom
    > telemarketer
    > who wanted to know what I wanted to do when my current special expires in
    > March. Homeline or Anytime?
    >
    > My current WHAT? Anytime WHAT? - in both cases that I was approached I
    > was
    > never told that the rates I was offered were a limited time offer, I acted
    > under the impression that these rates were a new tarrif.
    >
    > So I am wondering this: have other people had the same experience? Because
    > if I
    > hear that a number of people HAVE, then I shall take this further. If I am
    > an
    > isolated case, it won't be worth doing so.
    >
    > cheers, -Peter

    > firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    You have some cheek. Why should they tell you about the time limit when it
    makes the product sound worse?

    Actually, I'd imagine you could take them to small claims.

    jedmeister, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Re: has Telecom scammed me?

    In article <eSNHf.144412$>,
    says...

    > Actually, I'd imagine you could take them to small claims.

    Since I found that there were two people here who had the same experience, I
    wrote a letter to the commerce commission. Waiting to see if they're
    interested...

    It's a pretty blatant case of false representation/advertising i.m.o. that I'd
    be willing to pass over if it were a unique case, but it seems that maybe it
    isn't.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: has Telecom scammed me?

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <eSNHf.144412$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Actually, I'd imagine you could take them to small claims.
    >>

    > Since I found that there were two people here who had the same
    > experience, I wrote a letter to the commerce commission. Waiting to
    > see if they're interested...
    >
    > It's a pretty blatant case of false representation/advertising i.m.o.
    > that I'd be willing to pass over if it were a unique case, but it
    > seems that maybe it isn't.

    Good man Peter. There's nothing worse than standing idly by while you (and
    others) get robbed.

    Best of luck. Sock it to 'em.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 13, 2006
  9. Peter Huebner

    Rob Guest

    Re: has Telecom scammed me?

    "A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:11:45 +1300, Rob wrote:
    >
    >> We were once quoted a price for a new connection, and when
    >> we received the bill they had also added on labour charges ontop of the
    >> quoted connection fee. They never explained that labour fees would be
    >> added
    >> as we had requested an all inclusive price.

    > And did you pay those added labour fees?
    >
    > I hope you did not.
    >

    > A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > A: because it messes up threading
    > Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?
    > A: No.
    > Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?

    No didn't pay, but they fought me on it, saying that labour fees are
    standard fees. They eventually just credited back the labour fees, but they
    said it was a goodwill guesture.

    Rob, Feb 14, 2006
  10. Re: has Telecom scammed me?

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:03:57 +1300, Rob wrote:

    > No didn't pay, but they fought me on it, saying that labour fees are
    > standard fees. They eventually just credited back the labour fees, but
    > they said it was a goodwill guesture.

    Since when has Telecom EVER backed down when either: the client was not
    right, or the client was at fault?

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 14, 2006
  11. Peter Huebner

    krazy Bob Guest

    Re: has Telecom scammed me?

    > In article <eSNHf.144412$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Actually, I'd imagine you could take them to small claims.
    >>

    > Since I found that there were two people here who had the same experience,
    > wrote a letter to the commerce commission. Waiting to see if they're
    > interested...
    >
    > It's a pretty blatant case of false representation/advertising i.m.o. that
    > I'd
    > be willing to pass over if it were a unique case, but it seems that maybe
    > it
    > isn't.

    i would agree with

    KB