OT: Happy Birthday

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Briscobar, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. Briscobar

    Briscobar Guest

    To Sass. He's 25 today. Old fart!

    And for those interested, basically, here's the deal:

    He's still at home, still doing nothing but go to therapy 3 times a week and
    watch the Game Show Network. He doesn't want to do anything, but once he's
    forced to start, he's usually alright continuing. He shows 0 initiative.
    However, he's physically getting stronger, as he's been able to consistently
    walk in a harness for 25 minutes to half an hour while supporting 95% of his
    own body weight. His parents wanted to get him a new wheelchair, but his
    therapists urged them not to, saying they'd have him walking with a walker
    or hopefully a cane soon. I've seen him walk with the walker, and although
    it pains me to see him like that, I'm very proud of him for how far he's
    come.

    As I alluded to, there's a flip side of the coin. His short term memory is
    almost nonexistant. He frequently can't find the words to put his thoughts
    into. For example, if you ask him what he had for dinner, he'd either say "I
    don't know", meaning he doens't remember, or he'll say "I know, but I can't
    say", which means he doesn't know the word "chicken" or "meatloaf". They say
    this will probably slowly come back as he re-builds his vocabulary, but I'm
    not holding my breath.

    His weight was an issue for a while. He's about my height, 5'9" or so. For a
    year before the accident, he worked really hard to shed almost 50 pounds,
    and he was looking good. I don't remember exact numbers, but he was in the
    200 range when he had the accident. He lost a LOT of weight and was down to
    160 or so. Now, with him eating real food (and until recently, too much of
    it, because his parents [and in fairness, us, his friends] couldn't stop
    spoiling him), and him having no motivation to actually do anything, he's
    ballooned up to somewhere around 240. Basically, he looks like a fat man in
    a wheelchair. Although the good news is he's on a strict diet and in the
    last 3 weeks, he's lost 8 pounds. He doesnt' have to get down to fighting
    weight anytime soon, so as long as it comes off eventually, he'll be all set
    in that department.

    So, in a nutshell, he's doing better in some areas and he's not doing better
    in others. Suppose only time will tell how far he'll go, but he sure as hell
    come a long way from 16 months ago when they were giving him a 1% chance of
    ever coming out of the coma.

    So Happy Birthday, Sass!

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    I modified the signatures.ini file to add this: www.mcngp.com

    Briscobar, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Briscobar

    kpg Guest

    Briscobar <> said something like

    > He's 25 today. Old fart!

    Youth is wasted on the young. :\

    Glad to here he's doing better, it's still quite sad though.

    Here's to steady improvement.

    kpg, Dec 6, 2005

  3. Briscobar

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Briscobar spewed across the ether:

    > So Happy Birthday, Sass!

    Damb straight!

    Feh, "25".

    F'n puppy!

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110

    JaR, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Briscobar

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Rowdy Yates, Dec 7, 2005
  5. Briscobar

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Briscobar" <> say in

    > So Happy Birthday, Sass!

    to Sass. Never met ya, and never been prouder of ya. way to go.

    Pass along my good wishes (a day late) as well.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - It's not over until the FAT table sings.

    Neil, Dec 7, 2005
  6. Briscobar

    Neil Guest

    did you hear kpg <ipost@thereforeiam> say in

    > Youth is wasted on the young. :\

    SHUT UP, PUNK!

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - A pessimist will rarely, if ever, be disappointed.

    Neil, Dec 7, 2005