    missing. Did they attempt to add a feature and just not get it right?
    It is mentioned in the help screens, but nothing subsantive and nothing
    that tells how to use this supposed "feature". Anyone know?
    salgud, Apr 3, 2006

  2. salgud wrote:
    > If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
    > Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
    > I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
    > left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are not any
    > envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I click on the
    > envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic view. Nothing new or
    > missing. Did they attempt to add a feature and just not get it right?
    > It is mentioned in the help screens, but nothing subsantive and nothing
    > that tells how to use this supposed "feature". Anyone know?

    The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based "reader"??

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Apr 3, 2006

  3. salgud

    salgud Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > salgud wrote:
    > > If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
    > > Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
    > > I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
    > > left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are not any
    > > envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I click on the
    > > envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic view. Nothing new or
    > > missing. Did they attempt to add a feature and just not get it right?
    > > It is mentioned in the help screens, but nothing subsantive and nothing
    > > that tells how to use this supposed "feature". Anyone know?
    > >

    > The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based "reader"??
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Thanks for your critique of my choice.

    Now, does anyone out there have useful information for me?
    salgud, Apr 3, 2006
  4. salgud

    dtype Guest

    salgud wrote:
    > If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
    > Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
    > I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
    > left of the screen, a star and an envelope.

    I've noticed this too, but they both go to the same link, so I'm
    guessing that the feature isn't yet implemented. It is odd that they'd
    throw that icon in there with no use though.

    If I had to hazard a guess it looks like they might be readying some
    sort of feature to store/archive posts or threads (as a
    shot-from-the-hip based upon the icon). We'll find out eventually.

    -drew
    dtype, Apr 3, 2006
  5. salgud wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >>salgud wrote:
    >>
    >>>If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
    >>>Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
    >>>I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
    >>>left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are not any
    >>>envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I click on the
    >>>envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic view. Nothing new or
    >>>missing. Did they attempt to add a feature and just not get it right?
    >>>It is mentioned in the help screens, but nothing subsantive and nothing
    >>>that tells how to use this supposed "feature". Anyone know?
    >>>

    >>The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based "reader"??
    >>

    > Thanks for your critique of my choice.
    >
    > Now, does anyone out there have useful information for me?

    Are you able and willing to answer the question?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Apr 3, 2006
  6. salgud

    salgud Guest

    dtype wrote:
    > salgud wrote:
    > > If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
    > > Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
    > > I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
    > > left of the screen, a star and an envelope.

    > I've noticed this too, but they both go to the same link, so I'm
    > guessing that the feature isn't yet implemented. It is odd that they'd
    > throw that icon in there with no use though.
    >
    > If I had to hazard a guess it looks like they might be readying some
    > sort of feature to store/archive posts or threads (as a
    > shot-from-the-hip based upon the icon). We'll find out eventually.
    >
    > -drew

    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking along similar lines.
    salgud, Apr 3, 2006
  7. salgud

    salgud Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > salgud wrote:
    > > John McWilliams wrote:

    > >>The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based "reader"??
    > >>

    > > Thanks for your critique of my choice.
    > >
    > > Now, does anyone out there have useful information for me?
    > >

    > Are you able and willing to answer the question?
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Sorry John, must have been out the day I became answerable to you. Can
    you copy me that memo?
    salgud, Apr 3, 2006
  8. salgud

    Frank ess Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > salgud wrote:
    >> John McWilliams wrote:

    >>> The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based
    >>> "reader"??

    >> Thanks for your critique of my choice.
    >>
    >> Now, does anyone out there have useful information for me?
    >>

    > Are you able and willing to answer the question?

    It's OT. Please restrain your excellent critical capacities.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Apr 3, 2006
  9. John McWilliams <> wrote:
    : salgud wrote:
    :: If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
    :: Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of
    :: one, I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at
    :: the top left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are
    :: not any envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I
    :: click on the envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic
    :: view. Nothing new or missing. Did they attempt to add a feature
    :: and just not get it right? It is mentioned in the help screens,
    :: but nothing subsantive and nothing that tells how to use this
    :: supposed "feature". Anyone know?
    ::
    : The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based
    : "reader"??

    My thoughts exactly! I get the feeling a lot of folks out there don't
    have a clue of what Usenet is, or how to use a newsreader. If they did,
    they would walk away from that crappy HTML, SLOW web-interface in
    heartbeat...me thinks.

    Helena G.
    Helena Gratallops, Apr 3, 2006
  10. salgud

    salgud Guest

    Helena Gratallops wrote:
    > John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > : salgud wrote:
    > :: If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
    > :: Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of
    > :: one, I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at
    > :: the top left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are
    > :: not any envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I
    > :: click on the envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic
    > :: view. Nothing new or missing. Did they attempt to add a feature
    > :: and just not get it right? It is mentioned in the help screens,
    > :: but nothing subsantive and nothing that tells how to use this
    > :: supposed "feature". Anyone know?
    > ::
    > : The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based
    > : "reader"??
    >
    > My thoughts exactly! I get the feeling a lot of folks out there don't
    > have a clue of what Usenet is, or how to use a newsreader. If they did,
    > they would walk away from that crappy HTML, SLOW web-interface in
    > heartbeat...me thinks.
    >
    > Helena G.

    This is what happens when you get out of your element, Helena! I'm sure
    your family, friends and co-workers have warned you about trying to
    think!
    salgud, Apr 3, 2006
  11. salgud

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote

    > The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based

    "reader"??

    There's something like 70,000 groups 'out there'. If you need to search for
    information on a particular subject, especially a rare one, Google groups
    will point you in the right direction, maybe to a group your own newsfeed
    doesn't have, or hasn't refreshed lately.

    A tool is a tool, even if sometimes you could find a better way given a
    little effort. If there was no 'need' for a web-based newsreader, Google
    wouldn't waste money providing it.

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Apr 4, 2006
  12. Paul Bartram wrote:
    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote
    >

    >>The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based

    > "reader"??
    >
    > There's something like 70,000 groups 'out there'. If you need to search for
    > information on a particular subject, especially a rare one, Google groups
    > will point you in the right direction, maybe to a group your own newsfeed
    > doesn't have, or hasn't refreshed lately.
    >
    > A tool is a tool, even if sometimes you could find a better way given a
    > little effort. If there was no 'need' for a web-based newsreader, Google
    > wouldn't waste money providing it.

    Thank you. For searching, there's none better. However it's also become
    a tool of the netkooks, and whether the op falls therein I dunno, but I
    have my bets already placed.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Apr 4, 2006
  13. salgud

    salgud Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Paul Bartram wrote:
    > > "John McWilliams" <> wrote
    > >

    > >>The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based

    > > "reader"??
    > >
    > > There's something like 70,000 groups 'out there'. If you need to search for
    > > information on a particular subject, especially a rare one, Google groups
    > > will point you in the right direction, maybe to a group your own newsfeed
    > > doesn't have, or hasn't refreshed lately.
    > >
    > > A tool is a tool, even if sometimes you could find a better way given a
    > > little effort. If there was no 'need' for a web-based newsreader, Google
    > > wouldn't waste money providing it.
    > >

    > Thank you. For searching, there's none better. However it's also become
    > a tool of the netkooks, and whether the op falls therein I dunno, but I
    > have my bets already placed.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Always happy to learn the lastest computer/internet terminology from an
    expert:

    Netkook - Anyone who does not immediately justify their decisions or
    choices on demand from John McWilliams.

    Thanks, John! :)
    salgud, Apr 4, 2006
  14. salgud

    Guest

    Paul Bartram wrote:

    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote
    >
    > > The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based

    > "reader"??
    >
    > There's something like 70,000 groups 'out there'. If you need to search for
    > information on a particular subject, especially a rare one, Google groups
    > will point you in the right direction, maybe to a group your own newsfeed
    > doesn't have, or hasn't refreshed lately.
    >
    > A tool is a tool, even if sometimes you could find a better way given a
    > little effort. If there was no 'need' for a web-based newsreader, Google
    > wouldn't waste money providing it.
    >
    > Paul

    Amen to that. Other reasons, all of which apply in my case
    and that of thousands of others -

    1. One's ISP does not have a newsserver
    2. Free newsservers are often not reliable
    3. Paid newservers are not available in one's country
    4. Sending payment to another country involves too much hassle

    Other reasons that do not apply in my case -
    1. Believe it or not, a lot of people do not have their own
    internet account or even their own computers.
    2. A lot of people do not read newsgroups regularly.
    They search and post in NGs only when specific needs
    arise, and the NGs of interest may vary widely. In such
    cases, it doesn't make much sense to configure a news
    reader and subscribe to a list of newsgroups, or to pay
    for access to a newsserver.
    , Apr 4, 2006