    After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.
    Don Stauffer, Sep 3, 2005

  2. Don Stauffer wrote:
    > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    Sorry to see you go, Don. I simply mark the threads which don't interest
    me as "read". Perhaps we will see you on one of the new groups:

    rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
    rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    rec.photo.digital.zlr

    David
    David J Taylor, Sep 3, 2005

  3. In article <aNiSe.3$>,
    Don Stauffer <> wrote:

    > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    If you had just learned in that 10 years how to killfile you would still
    a happy camper.
    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Don Stauffer wrote:
    > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    You've got to be shitting us. If you look at the threads above, they are
    almost purely on topic. This group is one of the least affected by OT,
    except for those spammers that hit ALL of the groups regularly with
    their porno and harrassment.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 3, 2005
  5. Don Stauffer

    Mark² Guest

    "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message
    > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    I see very few OT posts.
    Perhaps you need a bit a tweaking to your reader...
    Mark², Sep 3, 2005
  6. Don Stauffer

    > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    What reader are you using?
    Does it organize by thread, or simply list posts?
    Mark², Sep 3, 2005
  7. Don Stauffer

    > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    I just read through the most recent thread titles on this NG.
    I had do go through 33 threads before I got to anything OT...and it was
    clearly lebeled "OT" (OT Hurricane)!
    You need to re-examine your opinion.
    Mark², Sep 3, 2005
  8. Don Stauffer

    Celcius Guest

    "Don Stauffer" wrote in message
    > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    Don't take this wrong, Don, but why did you feel compelled to write this
    message? Why didn't you just leave? You really don't have to go. You can
    just write to the group and say what's on your mind. You can simply ignore
    the OT posts? I'd wager you don't find the same satisfaction with the
    newsgroup as you might have before. If you're an advanced photographer, I
    suppose you don't need to ask, only to give advice or answer. Perhaps you
    don't see this as a challenge anymore? I can't believe you're leaving for
    the sake of 3 recently posted and clearly identified OT''s... Personally, I
    find this newsgroup a good source of ideas and exchanges are most of the
    time on the mild side. Correct me if I'm wrong :)
    Cheers!
    Marcel
    Celcius, Sep 3, 2005
  9. Per David J Taylor:
    >Sorry to see you go, Don. I simply mark the threads which don't interest
    >me as "read".

    Also, for explicitly-identified threads (i.e. where Subject contains "OT:" or
    some variation) you could conifg a few killfile entries if you don't want to
    even see same.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Sep 3, 2005
  10. "Celcius" <> wrote in message
    > "Don Stauffer" wrote in message
    >> After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    >> stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    >> step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    > Don't take this wrong, Don, but why did you feel compelled to write this
    > message? Why didn't you just leave? You really don't have to go. You can
    > just write to the group and say what's on your mind. You can simply ignore
    > the OT posts? I'd wager you don't find the same satisfaction with the
    > newsgroup as you might have before. If you're an advanced photographer, I
    > suppose you don't need to ask, only to give advice or answer. Perhaps you
    > don't see this as a challenge anymore? I can't believe you're leaving for
    > the sake of 3 recently posted and clearly identified OT''s... Personally,
    > find this newsgroup a good source of ideas and exchanges are most of the
    > time on the mild side. Correct me if I'm wrong :)
    > Cheers!
    > Marcel

    Consider it a courtesy. Often someone will unsubscribe from a Usenet group
    and if they are a well known or liked individual, in time others will ask
    about them. I've seen a few cases where it was discovered the person had
    died or was in his hospital. He is giving everyone some closure including
    himself.
    Dean S. Lautermilch, Sep 3, 2005
  11. Don Stauffer

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:15:47 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > What reader are you using?
    > Does it organize by thread, or simply list posts?

    From his header:
  12. Don Stauffer

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:08:25 GMT, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    >> Don Stauffer wrote:
    >> After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    >> stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    >> step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    > You've got to be shitting us. If you look at the threads above, they are
    > almost purely on topic. This group is one of the least affected by OT,
    > except for those spammers that hit ALL of the groups regularly with
    > their porno and harrassment.

    This is a relatively low volume newsgroup. Even with a low speed
    modem (which is what I use) retrieving all of the headers takes only
    seconds. I'd guess that the volume in the relatively small number
    of OT threads is larger than it was years ago, but simple filters
    would solve that problem.

    One side effect of the OT threads is that many of the ng regulars
    that are active in them probably don't post as often in on-topic
    r.p.d. threads. I could understand if this contributed to Don's
    decision, but I don't think it's a bad thing, as I think that the
    primary loss would be to on-topic threads that would otherwise have
    grown with more of the typical "my <brand> is better than your
    <brand>", complaints and boasts about particular lenses, obsession
    with the effects of noise that most people would never notice in
    prints. Good riddance to those. Can the situation have been better
    when the Preddy food-fights were ongoing? I don't think so.

    I think that you're right, and assume that Don not only never got
    around to learning how to use filters, but peeked too often in the
    few threads that annoyed him so. He might be able to filter threads
    effectively using Thunderbird, but his ng browsing pleasure would go
    up immensely if he used a decent news reader. Even the free version
    of Agent (available at www.forteinc.com) would be a big help.
    ASAAR, Sep 3, 2005
  13. Don Stauffer

    Topic Guest

    "Dean S. Lautermilch" <> wrote in message

    > "Celcius" <> wrote in message
    >> "Don Stauffer" wrote in message
    >>> After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    >>> stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    >>> step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    >> Don't take this wrong, Don, but why did you feel compelled to write this
    >> message? Why didn't you just leave? You really don't have to go. You can
    >> just write to the group and say what's on your mind. You can simply
    >> ignore
    >> the OT posts? I'd wager you don't find the same satisfaction with the
    >> newsgroup as you might have before. If you're an advanced photographer, I
    >> suppose you don't need to ask, only to give advice or answer. Perhaps you
    >> don't see this as a challenge anymore? I can't believe you're leaving for
    >> the sake of 3 recently posted and clearly identified OT''s... Personally,
    >> find this newsgroup a good source of ideas and exchanges are most of the
    >> time on the mild side. Correct me if I'm wrong :)
    >> Cheers!
    >> Marcel

    > Consider it a courtesy. Often someone will unsubscribe from a Usenet group
    > and if they are a well known or liked individual, in time others will ask
    > about them. I've seen a few cases where it was discovered the person had
    > died or was in his hospital. He is giving everyone some closure including
    > himself.<

    Bless him - isn't that sweet?
    Topic, Sep 3, 2005
  14. Don Stauffer

    Jim Guest

    > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    Who are you and why should care whether you participate or not?
    Jim
    Jim, Sep 3, 2005
  15. Don Stauffer

    Frank ess Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message
    >> After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the
    >> OT
    >> stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My
    >> next step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    > Who are you and why should care whether you participate or not?
    > Jim

    He is (was) a thoughtful, attentive expert on numerous subjects, whose
    contributions will be missed. Of course, if you'd been paying
    attention there'd have been no need to ask.

    You missed a word, too.

    --
    Frank S

    "Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten-up a chump."
    —William Claude Dukenfeld
    Frank ess, Sep 3, 2005

  16. > He is (was) a thoughtful, attentive expert on numerous subjects, whose
    > contributions will be missed.

    Agreed. Many of us will miss his input.
    Charles Schuler, Sep 3, 2005
  17. Don Stauffer

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:03:10 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    >> I could understand if this contributed to Don's
    >> decision, but I don't think it's a bad thing,

    > Personally, I kind of like OT threads that go somewhere.
    >
    > For me, the essence of an NG is the collection of repeat posters - whose
    > thoughts on NG topics have validated them to me.... I like hearing their
    > thoughts on other subjects as well.

    Same here. And even with a few whose OT thoughts might make them
    appear to be "%$##)(#&$" (excuse the self censorship) their
    apolitical, camera/photo related messages go a long way to being
    able to tolerate their sometimes excessive shortcomings.
    ASAAR, Sep 3, 2005
  18. Don Stauffer

    > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My next
    > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    If you were to go to a photography expo...and then went out to lunch with
    people you knew/met there... -Would you get up and stomp away from the
    lunch table if one of the photographers brought up the hurricane??? -Or
    would you INSIST that they NEVER mention anything but the expo?
    Surely you're more reasonable that that.

    That's what happens here.
    This is a forum largely populated by people who have become familiar with
    each other.
    It is perfectly natural for people to occasionally toss around other
    subjects among their friends.
    If you want tunnel vision, then it's yours for the taking using filters,
    and/or selective reading.
    But if you're like me, I like to hear from the PEOPLE here, not just random
    photogs.
    Mark², Sep 3, 2005
  19. Don Stauffer

    Mark² Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    >> "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message
    >>> After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the OT
    >>> stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My
    >>> next step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    >> Who are you and why should care whether you participate or not?
    >> Jim

    > He is (was) a thoughtful, attentive expert on numerous subjects, whose
    > contributions will be missed. Of course, if you'd been paying attention
    > there'd have been no need to ask.

    Agreed.
    I think Don should reconsider, though, as there are many tools at his
    disposal for clearing what he doesn't like.
    Mark², Sep 3, 2005
  20. Don Stauffer

    Cathy Guest

    > "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message
    > > After over ten years of participating in rpd, I've had it with the

    OT
    > > stuff, like gas prices and hurricanes, and the cross posting. My

    next
    > > step after the send button will be the unsubscribe menu.

    > I see very few OT posts.

    Thats probably because you've got a lot of subjects filtered out Mark.
    :) Actually, there are a lot of OT posts here, more than many NG's, but
    they are marked OT in the subject line so can be easily be filtered out
    by most newsreaders.When threads get too long and not interesting to me
    (whether OT or not), I filter them out in Outlook Express, Message
    Rules, or if I don't see anything I want to read on the list, or I am in
    a hurry, I click on "messages all read". Don, can you set up a filter to
    filter out threads about gas prices and hurricanes, etc. that you don't
    want on your download list?
    Then next time you wouldn't even see them on your downloaded list. It
    seems a better solution to me than to unsubscribe, when you have been
    participating here for ten years.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Sep 3, 2005