[OT] Good e-mail client with IMAP support?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Adam Leinss, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. Adam Leinss

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Does anyone know of an e-mail client that works good with IMAP? I've
    been using POP for the past 10 years until I switched to the Mailblocks
    e-mail service. I have a bunch of alias e-mail addresses at this
    service. Each alias routes mail to its own IMAP folder. So for
    example: an e-mail sent to would go
    to the sports IMAP folder; e-mail sent to aleinss-fisher4343
    @mailblocks.com would go to the fisher IMAP folder, etc.

    Their tech support told me the only way to be notified of new mail in
    each of these folders was to switch from POP to IMAP which I did.
    However, the only way that Eudora notifies me if there is a new message
    in a specific folder is if I have all 15 folders opened into 15
    separate open windows! If I happen to close one of these windows it
    won't alert me to new mail in that folder unless I reopen that folder
    window.

    This is quite annoying to say the least so I tried Mozilla Thunderbird
    and it doesn't notify me of new messages in any folder either unless I
    open each folder manually. Combine that with the fact there's no easy
    way of exporting e-mail or having it store it on another drive forces
    me not to use this program.

    Now I tried Outlook 2003 today and it correctly identifies which
    folders have new e-mail! However, when you delete an e-mail it doesn't
    really delete it. It just marks it for deletion. So to permanently
    delete it I have to go to each folder and do a Edit>Purge Deleted
    Messages. There's no automatic way of doing this according to the
    Internet.

    So I need an e-mail client that you can easily export e-mail for backup
    purposes and one that handles IMAP nicely. Is this too much to ask???

    Thanks,
    Adam

    Adam Leinss, Nov 13, 2004

  2. Adam Leinss

    Jamco Guest

    with outlook 2003, have you tried pressing SHIFT + Delete to delete items?

    Jamco, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Adam Leinss

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Jamco" <> wrote in

    > with outlook 2003, have you tried pressing SHIFT + Delete to
    > delete items?

    You got me excited there for a minute! No, unforunately that doesn't
    work for the IMAP account. It flags it for deletion, but it will not
    purge them until I force a purge on EVERY folder! I can't believe
    Microsoft didn't think of this beforehand! Eek!

    Adam

    Adam Leinss, Nov 17, 2004