    III?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jan 5, 2006

  2. In article <>, lid
    says...
    > Did anybody have the nerve to try a Godfather IV?
    >
    > Godfather was so good that I ran out and bought Godfather II - and was amazed at
    > how good it was considering it was a "son of...".
    >
    > So, feeling lucky, I sprang for Godfather III.
    >
    > Sheesh.... maybe it's just me, but that was *bad*.... can't even see how Pachino
    > and Keaton could keep straight faces thru the whole thing. Did Coppola really
    > need the money that badly?
    >
    > So, out of morbid curiosity... is there a Godfather IV? If so, is it as bad as
    > III?

    You're seriously asking what would have taken you a microsecond to find
    using any search engine?

    In the time it took you to type that up you could have been told several
    million times "no" it's not being made.

    --

    "Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James
    Fish! - of Arcadia., Jan 5, 2006

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Fish! - of Arcadia." <> wrote in message
    > In the time it took you to type that up you could have been told
    > several
    > million times "no" it's not being made.

    I wouldn't be so quick to presume. Random House did recently commission
    and publish a "Godfather Returns" sequel novel by Mark Winegardner:

    http://tinyurl.com/8hjg7

    And, even more despicably, there is also a new Godfather video game:

    http://ps2.ign.com/objects/665/665843.html

    Is a 4th movie really so unlikely?
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 5, 2006
  4. In article <Ne0vf.2392$>,
    says...
    > "Fish! - of Arcadia." <> wrote in message
    > > In the time it took you to type that up you could have been told
    > > several
    > > million times "no" it's not being made.

    > I wouldn't be so quick to presume. Random House did recently commission
    > and publish a "Godfather Returns" sequel novel by Mark Winegardner:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8hjg7
    >
    > And, even more despicably, there is also a new Godfather video game:
    >
    > http://ps2.ign.com/objects/665/665843.html
    >
    > Is a 4th movie really so unlikely?

    Of course it fucking is. FFC got bagged to death for making the 3rd
    one, and what the hell would it be about anyway?

    --

    "Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James
    Fish! - of Arcadia., Jan 5, 2006
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Fish! - of Arcadia. () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > In article <Ne0vf.2392$>,
    > says...
    > > Is a 4th movie really so unlikely?

    > FFC got bagged to death for making the 3rd
    > one

    Since he likely doesn't own the movie rights to the books (he was just the
    director/screenwriter), and almost certainly doesn't own the movie rights
    to the non-Puzo sequel, there's no need to have him involved in a 4th movie.

    Recent movie making history is filled with this sort of thing, especially
    when the original creative people feel a sequel is a bad idea, and since
    III was a bad idea, IV would be a pretty stinko one. And, just because an
    idea stinks doesn't mean a movie won't get made...do I have to make a list,
    or are most of them obvious enough?

    --
    Jeff Rife | "When I first heard that Marge was joining the
    Jeff Rife, Jan 5, 2006
  6. Per Fish! - of Arcadia.:
    >FFC got bagged to death for making the 3rd

    I take considerable comfort in that.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jan 5, 2006
  7. (PeteCresswell)

    >> I wouldn't be so quick to presume. Random House did recently
    >> commission
    >> and publish a "Godfather Returns" sequel novel by Mark Winegardner:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/8hjg7
    >>
    >> And, even more despicably, there is also a new Godfather video game:
    >>
    >> http://ps2.ign.com/objects/665/665843.html
    >>
    >> Is a 4th movie really so unlikely?

    > Of course it fucking is. FFC got bagged to death for making the 3rd
    > one,

    Who says he has to be involved? Mario Puzo is dead and yet there's a 4th
    Godfather novel. Coppola doesn't own the rights to the franchise,
    Paramount does. They can do with it what they want, and if they think
    making a 4th movie could earn them a nickel there's nothing stopping
    them from doing it.

    > and what the hell would it be about anyway?

    It would be based on the "Godfather Returns" novel, presumably.

    I'm certainly not saying this is a good idea. I'd be pretty mortified by
    it. But to say it's never going to happen is just plain ignorant of the
    realities of the movie business.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 6, 2006
  8. (PeteCresswell)

    Curtin/Dobbs Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Fish! - of Arcadia." <> wrote in message
    >>> I wouldn't be so quick to presume. Random House did recently commission
    >>> and publish a "Godfather Returns" sequel novel by Mark Winegardner:
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/8hjg7
    >>>
    >>> And, even more despicably, there is also a new Godfather video game:
    >>>
    >>> http://ps2.ign.com/objects/665/665843.html
    >>>
    >>> Is a 4th movie really so unlikely?

    >> Of course it fucking is. FFC got bagged to death for making the 3rd
    >> one,

    > Who says he has to be involved? Mario Puzo is dead and yet there's a 4th
    > Godfather novel. Coppola doesn't own the rights to the franchise,
    > Paramount does. They can do with it what they want, and if they think
    > making a 4th movie could earn them a nickel there's nothing stopping them
    > from doing it.
    >
    >> and what the hell would it be about anyway?

    > It would be based on the "Godfather Returns" novel, presumably.
    >
    > I'm certainly not saying this is a good idea. I'd be pretty mortified by
    > it. But to say it's never going to happen is just plain ignorant of the
    > realities of the movie business.

    FWIW, a few years ago they were seriously thinking of making a 4th GF film
    that would take place after the Pt.II DeNiro stuff and before the Pt. I
    Brando stuff. DeCaprio was being touted as a young Sonny. I am SO GLAD this
    was never realized.

    If they're going to do it--and I don't think they should--but, if they're
    going to do it, don't make the GF Returns bk. w/ all new actors that we'd be
    distractedly and disparagingly comparing to the originals, but make a
    continuation of Pt. III and let somebody like Soderbergh, Tarantino,
    Rodriguez, etc. go wiggy with it.

    ....Curtin/Dobbs

    Curtin/Dobbs, Jan 6, 2006
  9. "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message

    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > > "Fish! - of Arcadia." <> wrote in message

    commission

    > >> Of course it fucking is. FFC got bagged to death for making the 3rd
    > >> one,

    > > Who says he has to be involved? Mario Puzo is dead and yet there's a 4th
    > > Godfather novel. Coppola doesn't own the rights to the franchise,
    > > Paramount does. They can do with it what they want, and if they think
    > > making a 4th movie could earn them a nickel there's nothing stopping

    them
    > > from doing it.
    > >
    > >> and what the hell would it be about anyway?

    > > It would be based on the "Godfather Returns" novel, presumably.
    > >
    > > I'm certainly not saying this is a good idea. I'd be pretty mortified by
    > > it. But to say it's never going to happen is just plain ignorant of the
    > > realities of the movie business.

    > FWIW, a few years ago they were seriously thinking of making a 4th GF film
    > that would take place after the Pt.II DeNiro stuff and before the Pt. I
    > Brando stuff. DeCaprio was being touted as a young Sonny. I am SO GLAD

    this
    > was never realized.
    >
    > If they're going to do it--and I don't think they should--but, if they're
    > going to do it, don't make the GF Returns bk. w/ all new actors that we'd

    be
    > distractedly and disparagingly comparing to the originals, but make a
    > continuation of Pt. III and let somebody like Soderbergh, Tarantino,
    > Rodriguez, etc. go wiggy with it.
    >

    > ...Curtin/Dobbs

    Wow. Using _The Godfather Part III_ as a springboard for a further
    continuation of The Godfather saga would be stretching the limits of the
    original novel. At least in Part II, the young Vito scenes (brilliantly
    played by Robert De Niro) came right out of the book.

    They certainly squeezed a lot of extra mileage out of Connie Corleone by
    adding non-existent dimensions to her character in order justify her parts
    in episodes II and III of the Godfather series. However, In chapter 32 of
    his book_The Godfather_, author Mario Puzo wrote the following epilogue:

    "Time helped heal the old wounds. Connie Corleone was reconciled to her
    brother Michael. Indeed not more than a week after her terrible accusations
    she apologized to Michael for what she had said and assured Kay that there
    had been no truth in her words, that it had been only a young widow's
    hysteria."

    "Connie Corleone easily found a new husband; in fact, she did not wait
    the year of respect before filling her bed again with a fine young fellow
    who had come to work for the Corleone Family as a male secretary. A boy from
    a reliable Italian family but graduated from the top business college in
    America. Naturally his marriage to the sister of the Don made his future
    assured."

    So, they trot Connie out in Part II as a drunken slut and then in Part III
    she becomes a bitter old bitch bent on endless vendettas. "Kill the
    bastards!"

    Godfather III would have been dramatically improved if Sophia Coppola's swan
    song in the final climatic Opera House scene had occurred at the beginning
    of the movie. Then the cast members could have just talked about her and
    shown family pictures of her. "Remember when Mary did this and when Mary did
    that?"

    It's difficult to suffer through Miss Coppola's pathetic performance without
    laughing. In Godfather III, this wannabe starlet is surrounded by talented
    actors. It's embarrassing to watch some of Hollywood's most
    talented performers attempt to help her as she stumbles through the awkward
    recital of each of her lines.

    And I'm not the only one who feels this way:

    Here's how Cheech summed up
    the situation in_Bullets Over Broadway_:

    "She throws the whole thing out of whack. Can't you see it? Every time I
    hear that voice, it's like a knife in my fuckin' heart. She can't act! You
    listening to me? She makes stuff not work. Stuff she ain't even in, it comes
    out twisted. Leave me alone. I got a fuckin' headache."

    I couldn't have said it better myself.

    On the other hand, Miss Coppola's lousy acting does liven up an otherwise
    dull movie with an element of comic relief.
    One-Shot Scot, Jan 7, 2006
  10. Per One-Shot Scot:
    >It's embarrassing to watch some of Hollywood's most
    >talented performers attempt to help her as she stumbles through the awkward
    >recital of each of her lines.
    >
    >And I'm not the only one who feels this way:

    Rest assured... I'm no movie expert, but from her first appearance I just
    couldn't believe that anybody that bad could appear in such a big-name film.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jan 7, 2006
  11. (PeteCresswell)

    Frank Sereno Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > Per One-Shot Scot:
    >
    >>It's embarrassing to watch some of Hollywood's most
    >>talented performers attempt to help her as she stumbles through the awkward
    >>recital of each of her lines.
    >>
    >>And I'm not the only one who feels this way:

    > Rest assured... I'm no movie expert, but from her first appearance I just
    > couldn't believe that anybody that bad could appear in such a big-name film.

    It always helps to have your father direct the movie!
    Frank Sereno, Jan 7, 2006
  12. (PeteCresswell)

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Frank Sereno wrote:
    > (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >
    >> Per One-Shot Scot:
    >>
    >>> It's embarrassing to watch some of Hollywood's most
    >>> talented performers attempt to help her as she stumbles through the
    >>> awkward
    >>> recital of each of her lines.
    >>>
    >>> And I'm not the only one who feels this way:

    >> Rest assured... I'm no movie expert, but from her first appearance I just
    >> couldn't believe that anybody that bad could appear in such a big-name
    >> film.

    > It always helps to have your father direct the movie!

    That and the fact she was hanging around the set already so her dad
    didn't have to shut down the production when the star originally cast in
    the role quit one week into the shoot.

    ALV
    Andrew Venor, Jan 8, 2006
  13. In article <7vivf.5349$M%>,
    says...
    > "Fish! - of Arcadia." <> wrote in message
    > >> I wouldn't be so quick to presume. Random House did recently
    > >> commission
    > >> and publish a "Godfather Returns" sequel novel by Mark Winegardner:
    > >>
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/8hjg7
    > >>
    > >> And, even more despicably, there is also a new Godfather video game:
    > >>
    > >> http://ps2.ign.com/objects/665/665843.html
    > >>
    > >> Is a 4th movie really so unlikely?

    > > Of course it fucking is. FFC got bagged to death for making the 3rd
    > > one,

    > Who says he has to be involved? Mario Puzo is dead and yet there's a 4th
    > Godfather novel. Coppola doesn't own the rights to the franchise,
    > Paramount does. They can do with it what they want, and if they think
    > making a 4th movie could earn them a nickel there's nothing stopping
    > them from doing it.
    >
    > > and what the hell would it be about anyway?

    > It would be based on the "Godfather Returns" novel, presumably.
    >
    > I'm certainly not saying this is a good idea. I'd be pretty mortified by
    > it. But to say it's never going to happen is just plain ignorant of the
    > realities of the movie business.

    Well you can crap on and speculate all you want. The fact is it's not
    going to happen, never, ever.

    Why? Because who the **** would ONLY pay to see the 4th part of a
    movie. I'm saying this because who the **** would see the 4th IF YOU'D
    SEEN THE FIRST 3 and knew that no one previously involved would be in
    it, and the story was made by someone else?

    So it's unliely the 100 or so dickheads who WOULD pay to see the 4th
    installment of a movie without kowing/seeing the previous 3, would cover
    the costs of production.

    So can you explain how *I'm* being 'ignorant of the movie business' yet
    you're not?

    What are you basing the assumption that it WOULD ever be made, on?

    --

    "Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James
    Fish! - of Arcadia., Jan 9, 2006
  14. (PeteCresswell)

    > Well you can crap on and speculate all you want. The fact is it's not
    > going to happen, never, ever.
    >
    > Why? Because who the **** would ONLY pay to see the 4th part of a
    > movie. I'm saying this because who the **** would see the 4th IF
    > YOU'D
    > SEEN THE FIRST 3 and knew that no one previously involved would be in
    > it, and the story was made by someone else?
    >
    > So it's unliely the 100 or so dickheads who WOULD pay to see the 4th
    > installment of a movie without kowing/seeing the previous 3, would
    > cover
    > the costs of production.
    >
    > So can you explain how *I'm* being 'ignorant of the movie business'
    > yet
    > you're not?
    >
    > What are you basing the assumption that it WOULD ever be made, on?

    I don't know why I should argue this with you. I hope it doesn't happen,
    but I wouldn't count it out. There's a 4th Godfather novel and a new
    Godfather video game. Who paid for those? Somebody did.

    Why did "Carlito's Way: Rise to Power" get made, when it had no
    involvement from anyone who made the first movie and was not a sequel
    that any audience was clamoring for? Yet there it is on retailer
    shelves, and I guarantee you that somebody has bought a copy.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 9, 2006
  15. (PeteCresswell)

    Jason Halsey Guest

    > but I wouldn't count it out. There's a 4th Godfather novel and a new
    > Godfather video game.

    Just curious.
    Are there actually 4 "Godfather" books out? I was always under the
    impression that there was just the one Mario Puzo novel that covered at
    least parts one and two, not sure if it covered three as I read the book
    long before i saw the third movie. And the new novel that came out
    relatively recently.
    Jason Halsey, Jan 20, 2006
  16. (PeteCresswell)

    wunnuy Guest

    Jason Halsey wrote:

    > Just curious.
    > Are there actually 4 "Godfather" books out? I was always under the
    > impression that there was just the one Mario Puzo novel that covered at
    > least parts one and two, not sure if it covered three as I read the book
    > long before i saw the third movie. And the new novel that came out
    > relatively recently.

    There's no Godfather 4. There's Godfther returns which fillls in spots
    not shown in GF3, I was bored stiff and couldn't finish it.
    wunnuy, Jan 20, 2006
  17. (PeteCresswell)

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jason Halsey" <> wrote in message
    >> but I wouldn't count it out. There's a 4th Godfather novel and a new
    >> Godfather video game.

    > Just curious.
    > Are there actually 4 "Godfather" books out? I was always under the
    > impression that there was just the one Mario Puzo novel that covered
    > at least parts one and two, not sure if it covered three as I read the
    > book long before i saw the third movie. And the new novel that came
    > out relatively recently.

    Yes, you're right. There aren't 4 books, but Mario Puzo did write the
    screenplays for all 3 films, which is where I was confused.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 21, 2006