OT - Gilbert & Sullivan on Janet Jackson

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    To the tune of Gilbert & Sullivan's "Tit-willow" from the "Mikaido"
    http://math.boisestate.edu/gas/mikado/tit_willow.mid

    Adaptation : (C) 2004 Andrew Solkin, British Colombia, Canada

    On Super Bowl Sunday, a singer's right tit
    O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    Gave folk in America one mighty fit,
    O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    Each jaded New Yorker, each Arkansas rube,
    Unsuspectingly watching the game on the tube,
    Didn't know that at half-time, he'd see Janet's boob,
    O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!

    A storm in a D-cup, a molehill indeed,
    O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    That prompted the FCC's blustering screed,
    O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    Each TV reporter, each pundit pronounced
    That the MTV moguls deserved to be bounced
    And the network executives all be denounced,
    O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!

    Now I haven't the tiniest bit of a doubt
    O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    'Twas no "wardrobe malfunction" that made it pop out,
    O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    Though her talents, though meagre, have won her some fame,
    Her silicon figure is what makes her name,
    Any "star" in a thousand would do just the same -
    O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!

    Lyrics: Andrew Solkin. Original score: Gilbert & Sullivan
    Alan Browne, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Alan Browne

    tkranz Guest

    I generally disapprove of grossly off-topic, but I'll grudgingly give credit
    for some originality here,

    tkranz, Feb 6, 2004

  3. In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> writes

    >To the tune of Gilbert & Sullivan's "Tit-willow" from the "Mikaido"
    >http://math.boisestate.edu/gas/mikado/tit_willow.mid
    >
    >Adaptation : (C) 2004 Andrew Solkin, British Colombia, Canada
    >
    >On Super Bowl Sunday, a singer's right tit
    >O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >Gave folk in America one mighty fit,
    >O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >Each jaded New Yorker, each Arkansas rube,
    >Unsuspectingly watching the game on the tube,
    >Didn't know that at half-time, he'd see Janet's boob,
    >O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >
    >A storm in a D-cup, a molehill indeed,
    >O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >That prompted the FCC's blustering screed,
    >O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >Each TV reporter, each pundit pronounced
    >That the MTV moguls deserved to be bounced
    >And the network executives all be denounced,
    >O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >
    >Now I haven't the tiniest bit of a doubt
    >O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >'Twas no "wardrobe malfunction" that made it pop out,
    >O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >Though her talents, though meagre, have won her some fame,
    >Her silicon figure is what makes her name,
    >Any "star" in a thousand would do just the same -
    >O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >
    >Lyrics: Andrew Solkin. Original score: Gilbert & Sullivan

    Brilliant, Alan!

    I can never understand why lunatics (and there always seem to be more in
    the USA that most other places - much as I love the USA) get so steamed
    up about such things. After all, half the world have got them, most of
    the other half spend a fair proportion of their time thinking about
    them, and most people began life attached to them.

    FWIW, there is currently a similar fascination over here with the (very
    enhanced - if yours was a storm in a D-cup this must be a triple-F cup)
    physique of a well-known model who is taken part in a celebrity reality
    TV show. So far, no one here has thought it worth suing the TV network
    for umpteen billion pounds for upsetting his/her tender sensibilities.
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Feb 6, 2004
  4. "David Littlewood" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Alan Browne
    > <> writes
    > >

    > >To the tune of Gilbert & Sullivan's "Tit-willow" from the "Mikaido"
    > >http://math.boisestate.edu/gas/mikado/tit_willow.mid
    > >
    > >Adaptation : (C) 2004 Andrew Solkin, British Colombia, Canada

    (snip)
    > Brilliant, Alan!
    >
    > I can never understand why lunatics (and there always seem to be more in
    > the USA that most other places - much as I love the USA) get so steamed
    > up about such things. After all, half the world have got them, most of
    > the other half spend a fair proportion of their time thinking about
    > them, and most people began life attached to them.
    >
    > FWIW, there is currently a similar fascination over here with the (very
    > enhanced - if yours was a storm in a D-cup this must be a triple-F cup)
    > physique of a well-known model who is taken part in a celebrity reality
    > TV show. So far, no one here has thought it worth suing the TV network
    > for umpteen billion pounds for upsetting his/her tender sensibilities.
    >
    > David Littlewood

    -----------

    It gets even sillier...(off my news feed)

    (AP) -- Friday, February 6, 2004 9:33 AM EST (1433 GMT) - "A banker from
    Knoxville, Tennessee, filed a class action lawsuit against Jackson, dance
    partner Justin Timberlake, CBS, halftime show producers MTV and the
    networks' parent company, Viacom. Terri Carlin said the "sexually explicit
    conduct" by the performers caused millions of people to "suffer outrage,
    anger, embarrassment and serious injury." "

    Photographers beware...the next nude you shoot could put you on the pointy
    end of a class action lawsuit!!!

    Only in America - land of the free (free to sue anyone; anytime; for any
    thing)

    PS to David, Katie Price, aka Jordan, is not THAT large. She is "only?" a EE
    cup size, but, still, when taking her picture depth-of-field is a problem
    LOL

    Journalist
    Journalist-North, Feb 7, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Journalist-North wrote:

    > It gets even sillier...(off my news feed)
    >
    > (AP) -- Friday, February 6, 2004 9:33 AM EST (1433 GMT) - "A banker from
    > Knoxville, Tennessee, filed a class action lawsuit against Jackson, dance
    > partner Justin Timberlake, CBS, halftime show producers MTV and the
    > networks' parent company, Viacom. Terri Carlin said the "sexually explicit
    > conduct" by the performers caused millions of people to "suffer outrage,
    > anger, embarrassment and serious injury." "
    >
    > Photographers beware...the next nude you shoot could put you on the pointy
    > end of a class action lawsuit!!!

    au contraire, you sell the photos as evidence to the class action.
    Alan Browne, Feb 7, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    David Littlewood wrote:

    >> Any "star" in a thousand would do just the same -
    >> O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >>
    >> Lyrics: Andrew Solkin. Original score: Gilbert & Sullivan
    >>

    > Brilliant, Alan!

    ....not me, an old friend (who is brillant) wrote it and sent it. Pretty
    damned good...

    > I can never understand why lunatics (and there always seem to be more in
    > the USA that most other places - much as I love the USA) get so steamed
    > up about such things. After all, half the world have got them, most of
    > the other half spend a fair proportion of their time thinking about
    > them, and most people began life attached to them.

    It's a US thing... nowhere else in the world...

    Cheers,
    Alan
    Alan Browne, Feb 7, 2004
  7. "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > David Littlewood wrote:
    >

    > >> Any "star" in a thousand would do just the same -
    > >> O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    > >>
    > >> Lyrics: Andrew Solkin. Original score: Gilbert & Sullivan
    > >>

    > > Brilliant, Alan!

    > ...not me, an old friend (who is brillant) wrote it and sent it. Pretty
    > damned good...
    >

    > > I can never understand why lunatics (and there always seem to be more in
    > > the USA that most other places - much as I love the USA) get so steamed
    > > up about such things. After all, half the world have got them, most of
    > > the other half spend a fair proportion of their time thinking about
    > > them, and most people began life attached to them.

    > It's a US thing... nowhere else in the world...
    >

    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    It comes from our tight-lipped, narrow minded, holier-than-thou
    beginnings.......
    William Graham, Feb 7, 2004
  8. In article <qzWUb.8507$>,
    Journalist-North <> writes

    >"David Littlewood" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Alan Browne
    >> <> writes
    >> >

    >> >To the tune of Gilbert & Sullivan's "Tit-willow" from the "Mikaido"
    >> >http://math.boisestate.edu/gas/mikado/tit_willow.mid
    >> >
    >> >Adaptation : (C) 2004 Andrew Solkin, British Colombia, Canada

    >(snip)
    >> Brilliant, Alan!
    >>
    >> I can never understand why lunatics (and there always seem to be more in
    >> the USA that most other places - much as I love the USA) get so steamed
    >> up about such things. After all, half the world have got them, most of
    >> the other half spend a fair proportion of their time thinking about
    >> them, and most people began life attached to them.
    >>
    >> FWIW, there is currently a similar fascination over here with the (very
    >> enhanced - if yours was a storm in a D-cup this must be a triple-F cup)
    >> physique of a well-known model who is taken part in a celebrity reality
    >> TV show. So far, no one here has thought it worth suing the TV network
    >> for umpteen billion pounds for upsetting his/her tender sensibilities.
    >>
    >> David Littlewood

    >-----------
    >
    >It gets even sillier...(off my news feed)
    >
    >(AP) -- Friday, February 6, 2004 9:33 AM EST (1433 GMT) - "A banker from
    >Knoxville, Tennessee, filed a class action lawsuit against Jackson, dance
    >partner Justin Timberlake, CBS, halftime show producers MTV and the
    >networks' parent company, Viacom. Terri Carlin said the "sexually explicit
    >conduct" by the performers caused millions of people to "suffer outrage,
    >anger, embarrassment and serious injury." "
    >
    >Photographers beware...the next nude you shoot could put you on the pointy
    >end of a class action lawsuit!!!
    >
    >Only in America - land of the free (free to sue anyone; anytime; for any
    >thing)

    Well, it was this story I was referring to in my quoted post (see last
    sentence).

    >PS to David, Katie Price, aka Jordan, is not THAT large. She is "only?" a EE
    >cup size, but, still, when taking her picture depth-of-field is a problem
    >LOL

    I stand corrected (at least I can without overbalancing). Actually, she
    comes over as rather nicer than I thought she would - and stands the
    stress much better as well.
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Feb 7, 2004
  9. In article <00XUb.49530$>, Alan Browne
    <> writes
    >David Littlewood wrote:
    >

    >>> Any "star" in a thousand would do just the same -
    >>> O billow, tit-billow, tit-billow!
    >>>
    >>> Lyrics: Andrew Solkin. Original score: Gilbert & Sullivan
    >>>

    >> Brilliant, Alan!

    >...not me, an old friend (who is brillant) wrote it and sent it.
    >Pretty damned good...

    I noticed that; the compliment was aimed at the author (but thanks to
    you for sharing it with us).

    >> I can never understand why lunatics (and there always seem to be
    >>more in the USA that most other places - much as I love the USA) get
    >>so steamed up about such things. After all, half the world have got
    >>them, most of the other half spend a fair proportion of their time
    >>thinking about them, and most people began life attached to them.

    >It's a US thing... nowhere else in the world...

    Unfortunately the horrible trend is spreading over here. At least losing
    litigants are virtually always made to pay the successful party's legal
    costs here, which means, even if your lawyer is on a contingent fee
    basis, there is some disincentive to frivolous cases.
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Feb 7, 2004
  10. In article <gd1Vb.189267$Rc4.1491940@attbi_s54>, William Graham
    <> writes

    >> > I can never understand why lunatics (and there always seem to be more in
    >> > the USA that most other places - much as I love the USA) get so steamed
    >> > up about such things. After all, half the world have got them, most of
    >> > the other half spend a fair proportion of their time thinking about
    >> > them, and most people began life attached to them.

    >> It's a US thing... nowhere else in the world...
    >>

    >> Cheers,
    >> Alan
    >>

    >It comes from our tight-lipped, narrow minded, holier-than-thou
    >beginnings.......

    A couple of years ago I heard the story of an Australian woman who gave
    (IIRC) a radio interview on being Australian. She said: "I give thanks
    every day that we got all the criminals and America got all the
    religious bigots."

    I'm sure it's a teeny bit exaggerated - but funny too.
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Feb 7, 2004
  11. "David Littlewood" <> wrote in message
    (snip)

    > >PS to David, Katie Price, aka Jordan, is not THAT large. She is "only?" a

    EE
    > >cup size, but, still, when taking her picture depth-of-field is a problem
    > >LOL
    > >

    > I stand corrected (at least I can without overbalancing). Actually, she
    > comes over as rather nicer than I thought she would - and stands the
    > stress much better as well.
    >
    > David Littlewood

    ------------

    I don't know much about Jordan except what you and I see in the public
    arena. She doesn't impress me, however, as the "brightest firework in the
    box." Most P-3 girls and glam models are very nice indeed (and I don't mean
    just their physical assets).

    My all time favourite, bar none, is Joanne Guest. Personable; funny; can
    carry a conversation; pretty (not just cute); never bitchy; never involved
    in scandal; and in spite of her limitations (she "sounds" and comes across
    most of the time as being dumb as rocks but absolutely is NOT so in
    reality - she is a smart cookie!) does strive to improve own education and
    self development even to this day. Jo Guest is a definite winner and a real
    stand out though I also know several others, as well, that have lots of
    class.

    Once you get past the shock-and-awe of the T&A, and quit slobbering or
    talking to their chest, the great majority of the girls in the P-3 business
    are exceptional in many ways.

    Journalist
    Journalist-North, Feb 7, 2004
  12. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    David Littlewood wrote:

    > Unfortunately the horrible trend is spreading over here. At least losing
    > litigants are virtually always made to pay the successful party's legal
    > costs here, which means, even if your lawyer is on a contingent fee
    > basis, there is some disincentive to frivolous cases.

    There are occasional judgments in the US where judges throw out
    frivolous cases and make the claimant pay ... but the bar is so much
    lower in the US than in the UK. Franky, it's not something I pay
    attention to here in Canada, but I would assume it is somewhere between
    the two...

    Cheers,
    Alan

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 7, 2004
  13. Alan Browne

    Robert Guest

    I think that in Canada the general rule is that the loser pays ALL costs. If
    you are innocent why should you have to pay to go to court to prove your
    innocence?

    Robert, Feb 7, 2004
  14. Alan Browne

    Lunaray Guest

    I couldn't agree with you more, sometimes the good ol' USA embarasses me!
    :)
    Lunaray, Feb 7, 2004
  15. "Journalist-North" <> wrote in message

    > "David Littlewood" <> wrote in message
    > (snip)
    > > >
    > > >PS to David, Katie Price, aka Jordan, is not THAT large. She is "only?"

    > EE
    > > >cup size, but, still, when taking her picture depth-of-field is a

    problem
    > > >LOL
    > > >

    > > I stand corrected (at least I can without overbalancing). Actually, she
    > > comes over as rather nicer than I thought she would - and stands the
    > > stress much better as well.
    > >
    > > David Littlewood

    > ------------
    >
    > I don't know much about Jordan except what you and I see in the public
    > arena. She doesn't impress me, however, as the "brightest firework in the
    > box." Most P-3 girls and glam models are very nice indeed (and I don't

    mean
    > just their physical assets).
    >
    > My all time favourite, bar none, is Joanne Guest. Personable; funny; can
    > carry a conversation; pretty (not just cute); never bitchy; never involved
    > in scandal; and in spite of her limitations (she "sounds" and comes across
    > most of the time as being dumb as rocks but absolutely is NOT so in
    > reality - she is a smart cookie!) does strive to improve own education and
    > self development even to this day. Jo Guest is a definite winner and a

    real
    > stand out though I also know several others, as well, that have lots of
    > class.
    >
    > Once you get past the shock-and-awe of the T&A, and quit slobbering or
    > talking to their chest, the great majority of the girls in the P-3

    business
    > are exceptional in many ways.
    >
    > Journalist

    My personal favorite is Dolly Parton, who, when asked by a reporter if it
    was true that she spent $50,000 on clothes last year, said, "Yes....You've
    got no idea how expensive it is to look this cheap."
    William Graham, Feb 8, 2004
  16. Alan Browne

    Deathwalker Guest

    AP) -- Friday, February 6, 2004 9:33 AM EST (1433 GMT) - "A banker from
    Knoxville, Tennessee, filed a class action lawsuit against Jackson, dance
    partner Justin Timberlake, CBS, halftime show producers MTV and the
    networks' parent company, Viacom. Terri Carlin said the "sexually explicit
    conduct" by the performers caused millions of people to "suffer outrage,
    anger, embarrassment and serious injury." "

    all but the last one i can't see actually claiming for. However, i don't
    see how the former caused the latter.
    Deathwalker, Feb 8, 2004
  17. Alan Browne

    Deathwalker Guest

    we have something called a vociferous litigant. (i may have that wrong).
    Basically you can be banned from litigation cos you are doing it for
    financial gain. There was a man who filed 52 in a year. He applied for
    jobs he was hopelessly unqualified for and when he failed to get them
    claimed it was due to racism. He only won 2.

    Deathwalker, Feb 10, 2004
  18. Jesus, if they had that rule in the usa, then 100% of ATLA would have to be
    banned for life...

    "Deathwalker" <> > Basically you can be
    Dennis O'Connor, Feb 10, 2004
  19. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Deathwalker wrote:

    > we have something called a vociferous litigant. (i may have that wrong).
    > Basically you can be banned from litigation cos you are doing it for
    > financial gain. There was a man who filed 52 in a year. He applied for
    > jobs he was hopelessly unqualified for and when he failed to get them
    > claimed it was due to racism. He only won 2.

    Regarding frivolous lawsuits in Canada, here is an example of a company
    here attempting to have a case declared frivolous (fail), and attempt to
    have security posted by the plaintiff in case they defend successfully
    and are awarded defence costs. Even when the defendant asks for
    security, the judge reduces the defence estimate by 10 times (the judge
    pretty much tags the defendant as putting the plaintiff into a position
    from which he can't continue the suit)... then puts the onus on the
    plaintiff to post that security. ... this all before the case is even
    heard. (A Bristol UK resident, moves to Canada after being hired, and
    then is fired and sues).

    http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache...nada civil frivolous dismissal&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 10, 2004
  20. Alan Browne

    Deathwalker Guest

    > Deathwalker wrote:
    >
    > > we have something called a vociferous litigant. (i may have that

    wrong).
    > > Basically you can be banned from litigation cos you are doing it for
    > > financial gain. There was a man who filed 52 in a year. He applied for
    > > jobs he was hopelessly unqualified for and when he failed to get them
    > > claimed it was due to racism. He only won 2.

    > Regarding frivolous lawsuits in Canada, here is an example of a company
    > here attempting to have a case declared frivolous (fail), and attempt to
    > have security posted by the plaintiff in case they defend successfully
    > and are awarded defence costs. Even when the defendant asks for
    > security, the judge reduces the defence estimate by 10 times (the judge
    > pretty much tags the defendant as putting the plaintiff into a position
    > from which he can't continue the suit)... then puts the onus on the
    > plaintiff to post that security. ... this all before the case is even
    > heard. (A Bristol UK resident, moves to Canada after being hired, and
    > then is fired and sues).

    http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache...Canada civil frivolous dismissal&hl=en&ie=UTF

    There is a legend that you can't buy hot coffee in mcdonalds america cos
    someone sued for being scalded with hot coffee. This rule maybe limited to
    drive thru restaraunts.
    Deathwalker, Feb 10, 2004