OT: General networking problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jason, Mar 11, 2009.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hi,

    I have a general networking problem which maybe someone can help me with,
    the scenario is this. We have implemented a 3rd DNS filtering service
    (www.opendns.com) which we use to block non-work related web browsing - our
    DNS servers are on our internal LAN (Windows server 2000) which resolve
    local names but the forwarders go to opendns where content is filtered as
    per our rules.

    The MD of the company is now insisting that he be exempt from this
    filtering, so we have the problem that if we change his DNS settings to
    external DNS servers he will not be able to resolve any internal names. One
    obvious solution would be to give him 2 PCs, one for web browsing only with
    external DNS servers & one for internal use but I don't think that would
    wash. Another solution I have considered would be to give him 2 NICs one
    with internal DNS & one with external DNS & somehow configure the browser
    to use the one NIC for web browsing & the other one for internal use but I
    don't know how I could do this? The PC is running Windows XP prof, SP2 - if
    anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them?

    TIA, Jase

    Jason, Mar 11, 2009

  2. Jason

    scottp2626 Guest

    OpenDNS states:

    Jason wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a general networking problem which maybe someone can help me with,
    > the scenario is this. We have implemented a 3rd DNS filtering service
    > (www.opendns.com) which we use to block non-work related web browsing - our
    > DNS servers are on our internal LAN (Windows server 2000) which resolve
    > local names but the forwarders go to opendns where content is filtered as
    > per our rules.
    >
    > The MD of the company is now insisting that he be exempt from this
    > filtering, so we have the problem that if we change his DNS settings to
    > external DNS servers he will not be able to resolve any internal names. One
    > obvious solution would be to give him 2 PCs, one for web browsing only with
    > external DNS servers & one for internal use but I don't think that would
    > wash. Another solution I have considered would be to give him 2 NICs one
    > with internal DNS & one with external DNS & somehow configure the browser
    > to use the one NIC for web browsing & the other one for internal use but I
    > don't know how I could do this? The PC is running Windows XP prof, SP2 - if
    > anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them?
    >

    > TIA, Jase

    A thought.....

    OpenDNS states:

    "Filtering by Department

    OpenDNS makes it easy to implement different filtering levels for
    different networks within your organization. Set up more restrictive
    filtering for some departments, and less restrictive filtering for
    others. It's as easy as adding the network and checking a box."

    Give him his open department/settings at opendns? IDK, I haven't used
    any of their solutions, sounds like it might work?

    scottp2626, Mar 11, 2009

  3. Jason

    scottp2626 Guest

    scottp2626, Mar 11, 2009
  4. Jason

    Aubrey Adams Guest

    Re: General networking problem

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a general networking problem which maybe someone can help me with,
    > the scenario is this. We have implemented a 3rd DNS filtering service
    > (www.opendns.com) which we use to block non-work related web browsing -
    > our
    > DNS servers are on our internal LAN (Windows server 2000) which resolve
    > local names but the forwarders go to opendns where content is filtered as
    > per our rules.
    >
    > The MD of the company is now insisting that he be exempt from this
    > filtering, so we have the problem that if we change his DNS settings to
    > external DNS servers he will not be able to resolve any internal names.
    > One
    > obvious solution would be to give him 2 PCs, one for web browsing only
    > with
    > external DNS servers & one for internal use but I don't think that would
    > wash. Another solution I have considered would be to give him 2 NICs one
    > with internal DNS & one with external DNS & somehow configure the browser
    > to use the one NIC for web browsing & the other one for internal use but I
    > don't know how I could do this? The PC is running Windows XP prof, SP2 -
    > if
    > anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them?
    >

    > TIA, Jase

    Ha MDs like to do that - just because they can.

    If you go the 2 NIC path you can configure specific routes on XP using the
    "route add" command at the command prompt. Point internal routes to the
    appropriate NIC and a default route to the other.

    "route ?" will show you all the options.

    Hmm, I'm not sure if the route will stick if the PC reboots though - you may
    have to write a batch/script file to always set the routes at startup.

    Aubrey

    Aubrey Adams, Mar 18, 2009
  5. Jason

    Trendkill Guest

    Re: General networking problem

    On Mar 18, 10:25 am, "Aubrey Adams" <>
    wrote:
    > "Jason" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I have a general networking problem which maybe someone can help me with,
    > > the scenario is this. We have implemented a 3rd DNS filtering service
    > > (www.opendns.com) which we use to block non-work related web browsing -
    > > our
    > > DNS servers are on our internal LAN (Windows server 2000) which resolve
    > > local names but the forwarders go to opendns where content is filtered as
    > > per our rules.

    > > The MD of the company is now insisting that he be exempt from this
    > > filtering, so we have the problem that if we change his DNS settings to
    > > external DNS servers he will not be able to resolve any internal names.
    > > One
    > > obvious solution would be to give him 2 PCs, one for web browsing only
    > > with
    > > external DNS servers & one for internal use but I don't think that would
    > > wash. Another solution I have considered would be to give him 2 NICs one
    > > with internal DNS & one with external DNS & somehow configure the browser
    > > to use the one NIC for web browsing & the other one for internal use but I
    > > don't know how I could do this? The PC is running Windows XP prof, SP2 -
    > > if
    > > anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them?

    > > TIA, Jase

    > Ha MDs like to do that - just because they can.
    >
    > If you go the 2 NIC path you can configure specific routes on XP using the
    > "route add" command at the command prompt. Point internal routes to the
    > appropriate NIC and a default route to the other.
    >
    > "route ?" will show you all the options.
    >
    > Hmm, I'm not sure if the route will stick if the PC reboots though - you may
    > have to write a batch/script file to always set the routes at startup.
    >
    > Aubrey

    Routing will not solve this. The pc still have to point at one DNS or
    the other. If it goes to the solution they have now, the MD can't
    surf openly. If they point to a public DNS, it won't resolve internal
    hosts. You could put in a host file for local (manual updates of
    course), and point him/her to the public DNS...but I think using the
    your service provider to solve is probably a better option.

    Trendkill, Mar 18, 2009