    ---
    Food prices add up

    Biggest rise in years blamed on bad weather, fuel, other factors

    11:21 AM CDT on Monday, May 28, 2007
    Los Angeles Times

    First gas, now food. The household budget is getting no relief these
    days.

    Prices are going up for much of what gets dumped into the grocery cart
    – including cereals, bread, bacon, pork roasts, chicken, eggs,
    cookies, hot dogs, oranges, soda pop and dried beans.

    New federal statistics show that food prices rose 3.9 percent
    nationally in April, and the outlook is equally chilling wherever you
    shop. It is happening for many reasons: inflation, drought, freezing
    weather, even the rising cost of corn – highly sought after not only
    as an ingredient for thousands of food products, but also to make
    ethanol.

    Food prices in 2007 are increasing at their highest rate in years.

    "We are going to see grocery store prices to show one of the most
    rapid increases in the last 15 years or so," said Patrick Jackman, an
    economist at the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

    Where a year ago shoppers saw decreases for some items, including
    breakfast cereals, beef roasts, pork, chicken, cheese and olives,
    about the only foods showing any dips in price this year are butter,
    bananas and frozen vegetables.

    Hard freezes in California, Florida and other states are one
    contributor to the runup in prices, especially for produce, but that's
    easing as farmers plant new vegetable crops to replace what was
    damaged.

    Fuel and corn

    The real problem, according to food manufacturers and supermarket
    executives, is the runup in fuel prices and the cost of grain, which
    has soared as an ever-growing amount of corn is diverted to make
    ethanol to mix with gasoline.

    "Corn prices have moved up significantly as demand for ethanol taps
    supplies ... which will impact overall inflation levels throughout the
    year," Jeff Noddle, chief executive of Supervalu Inc., reported to
    shareholders last month. Supervalu owns Albertson's, Cub Foods and
    other grocery stores.

    The price of a bushel of corn has jumped 46 percent to $3.66 over the
    past 12 months and earlier this year topped $4, according to DTN, an
    agriculture information firm in Omaha, Neb.

    "It has been a remarkable run," said Michael Swanson, an agricultural
    economist at Wells Fargo & Co.

    Mr. Swanson said corn is the culprit for his estimate that food
    inflation will reach the 4 to 4.5 percent range this year, the highest
    since 1990.

    That's because corn is the building block for much of the American
    food supply.

    It is what dairy cows eat to make milk and hens consume to produce
    eggs. It fattens cattle, hogs and chickens before slaughter –
    depending on the animal, it takes from 2.5 to 6 pounds of feed corn to
    produce a pound of meat. Corn syrup is the third-largest ingredient in
    Heinz ketchup and is the sweetener that goes into soft drinks and
    hundreds of other food items.

    Corn also is the building block of the 7 billion gallons of ethanol
    made in the United States this year, a figure that is on its way to 14
    billion gallons by 2011, according to estimates by Iowa State
    University.

    As farmers discover just how golden corn has become, they are
    replanting fields formerly devoted to wheat, soy and other foods with
    corn, driving up the price of even more food commodities. Soy is up 28
    percent to $7.41 a bushel, DTN said.

    Meanwhile, smaller-than-expected crops in the U.S. and Australia have
    pushed the price of wheat up 22 percent to $4.80 a bushel from a year
    ago. That's why shoppers are paying more for bread and other baked
    goods.

    Aggressive strategy

    At the same time, food companies "are getting more aggressive" about
    raising prices to improve profit margins, said Burt Flickinger III,
    managing director of the Strategic Resources Group consulting firm.

    Major manufacturers pushing through price increases include Coca Cola
    Co., Kraft Foods Inc., Kellogg Co., Hershey Foods Corp. and Tyson
    Foods Inc.

    Prices are going to continue to rise in the coming months as companies
    such as Tyson, one of the nation's largest providers of beef, pork and
    chicken, pass what they are paying for corn down the food chain to
    consumers, said Richard Bond, the company's chief executive.

    Tyson will pay a third more, or $300 million, for corn and grain this
    year, Mr. Bond said at a news conference April 30.

    HUNGER PAINS

    Increasing fuel prices are also being felt at the supermarket.

    Milk: Up 3.2%

    Oranges: Up 34.1%

    Ground beef: Up 2.7%

    Chicken Up 5.5%

    Coffee Up 4.9%

    Frosty, May 29, 2007

  2. Frosty

    SgtMinor Guest

    Frosty wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > At the same time, food companies "are getting more aggressive" about
    > raising prices to improve profit margins, said Burt Flickinger III,
    > managing director of the Strategic Resources Group consulting firm.
    >
    > Major manufacturers pushing through price increases include Coca Cola
    > Co., Kraft Foods Inc., Kellogg Co., Hershey Foods Corp. and Tyson
    > Foods Inc.
    >
    > Prices are going to continue to rise in the coming months as companies
    > such as Tyson, one of the nation's largest providers of beef, pork and
    > chicken, pass what they are paying for corn down the food chain to
    > consumers, said Richard Bond, the company's chief executive.
    >
    > Tyson will pay a third more, or $300 million, for corn and grain this
    > year, Mr. Bond said at a news conference April 30.
    >

    > HUNGER PAINS
    >
    > Increasing fuel prices are also being felt at the supermarket.

    Check out Aaron Russo's video re the Federal Reserve:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=styYIG-fiEc

    SgtMinor, May 29, 2007

  3. Frosty <> wrote in

    > It's inflation, dammit!
    > Why do we think we can just keep borrowing and printing
    > currency with no ill consequences?
    > Oh...it's public education, of course!

    Like *you* are so goddamn *much* smarter than *everyone*
    else... If you're so fucking smart, then eat shit -
    that's what you're good at! Thanks for ruining my day,
    you dooky-buger.

    Here's what kills me on the whole greenhouse solution:

    Why does anyone think burning "ethanol" creates any less
    carbon dioxide than burning any other shit? Hydrogen is
    the cleanest answer, but past development there's no
    fucking money in it. It's the same as with the
    pharmacuticals : there's no profit in the cure.

    Persuasion = drive the prices up, so the "solution"
    seems affordable. Sugar beets make more ethanol
    than corn, and have a shorter growth cycle!

    It's a big guise - to get us onto nuclear energy...

    The problem with that is that there is still *no* way
    to dispose of the "spent" fuel... These assholes,
    oh excuse me... "investors" are willing to gamble that
    when the problem gets big enough, the "government" will
    fund a way to fix it... Ahem! "Government" = taxpayers.

    That is right : a fucking "conspiracy" with the same
    thing at its root as every other abomination in our
    culture. Greed!

    And why? Because shitheads don't vote and/or get involved
    past waiting until the election is over and then putting
    a bumper sticker on their SUVs so everyone else believes
    they are a "winner".

    Read the book, this joint is likely going up in flames

    --

    "Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar?
    Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur."

    Bucky Breeder, May 29, 2007
  4. Frosty

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns993F7C6387455DRiVEBYESLY@216.151.153.21...
    > Frosty <> wrote in
    > >
    > > It's inflation, dammit!
    > > Why do we think we can just keep borrowing and printing
    > > currency with no ill consequences?
    > > Oh...it's public education, of course!

    > Like *you* are so goddamn *much* smarter than *everyone*
    > else... If you're so fucking smart, then eat shit -
    > that's what you're good at! Thanks for ruining my day,
    > you dooky-buger.

    What was that? Performance art?

    > Here's what kills me on the whole greenhouse solution:
    >
    > Why does anyone think burning "ethanol" creates any less
    > carbon dioxide than burning any other shit? Hydrogen is
    > the cleanest answer, but past development there's no
    > fucking money in it. It's the same as with the
    > pharmacuticals : there's no profit in the cure.

    I remember reading here not long ago, "The money's in the treatment, not
    the cure." That idea begins to explain the exploitive environment we're
    living in now.

    > Persuasion = drive the prices up, so the "solution"
    > seems affordable. Sugar beets make more ethanol
    > than corn, and have a shorter growth cycle!

    Uh-uh...nobody's trying to persuade us.

    > It's a big guise - to get us onto nuclear energy...

    The investing class, or neo-cons or robber barons -- there isn't a good
    descriptive name for them yet -- have turned on the public and have
    begun exploiting us the same way they'd exploit a natural resource. Get
    as much out of us as cheaply as possible and leave.

    > The problem with that is that there is still *no* way
    > to dispose of the "spent" fuel... These assholes,
    > oh excuse me... "investors" are willing to gamble that
    > when the problem gets big enough, the "government" will
    > fund a way to fix it... Ahem! "Government" = taxpayers.
    >
    > That is right : a fucking "conspiracy" with the same
    > thing at its root as every other abomination in our
    > culture. Greed!

    Hmm...uhhmmm...wellll.... Yeah, I think that about says it! But I don't
    know how much of a conspiracy is going on. A lot of evil can be
    achieved just by the 'best' people getting together and talking. They
    tend to do the same things in their walk of life just as we do in ours.
    But there ARE different "walks of life." Call them different classes;
    means the same thing.

    > And why? Because shitheads don't vote and/or get involved
    > past waiting until the election is over and then putting
    > a bumper sticker on their SUVs so everyone else believes
    > they are a "winner".

    People around these parts still proudly sport their W stickers in yer
    face, bottom-left in the rear window of their SUVs. They don't think
    anything is wrong.

    > Read the book, this joint is likely going up in flames

    Book?

    > --
    >
    > "Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar?
    > Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur."

    didn't understand the above either..

    DemoDisk, May 29, 2007
  5. "DoDoDisk" splatter-poops this from

    > "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    > message news:Xns993F7C6387455DRiVEBYESLY@216.151.153.21...
    >> Frosty <> wrote in
    >> >
    >> > It's inflation, dammit!
    >> > Why do we think we can just keep borrowing and printing
    >> > currency with no ill consequences?
    >> > Oh...it's public education, of course!

    >> Like *you* are so goddamn *much* smarter than *everyone*
    >> else... If you're so fucking smart, then eat shit -
    >> that's what you're good at! Thanks for ruining my day,
    >> you dooky-buger.

    > What was that? Performance art?

    Yes it is! And *you* love it too, [like most do]. U No U do!

    >> Here's what kills me on the whole greenhouse solution:
    >>
    >> Why does anyone think burning "ethanol" creates any less
    >> carbon dioxide than burning any other shit? Hydrogen is
    >> the cleanest answer, but past development there's no
    >> fucking money in it. It's the same as with the
    >> pharmacuticals : there's no profit in the cure.

    > I remember reading here not long ago, "The money's in
    > the treatment, not the cure." That idea begins to
    > explain the exploitive environment we're living in now.

    Yeah, you read it because I wrote it...
    Nice to know the Alzheimer's not full-blown -
    now go tell someone who gives a shit about your
    medical problems.

    I also coined the abbreviation "M$" for Microsoft, and
    now everyone rips it off. As if it's the only idea
    I've ever articulated.

    >> Persuasion = drive the prices up, so the "solution"
    >> seems affordable. Sugar beets make more ethanol
    >> than corn, and have a shorter growth cycle!

    > Uh-uh...nobody's trying to persuade us.

    Oh looky, poopypants got himself an opposing opinion
    (or is that facetious?)
    You can always lead off with "it's a well known fact
    for over 15 years now..." That always makes a point.

    >> It's a big guise - to get us onto nuclear energy...

    > The investing class, or neo-cons or robber barons --
    > there isn't a good descriptive name for them yet --

    "Bourgeoisie" work for ya? It's got some history... hmmm.
    Then there's "petite bourgeoisie" and the "Proletariat"...
    But WTF, let's write the French out of our consciousness
    because they don't like GW and posse's cluster-**** and
    call it a "war on terrorism." $Billions = <flush>!
    Oh yeah, might be "inflation" OK... the inflation you
    gets when they blows the smoke up yer arse! <guffaw>

    Freedom fries, yum yum.

    > have turned on the public and have
    > begun exploiting us the same way they'd exploit a
    > natural resource. Get as much out of us as cheaply
    > as possible and leave.

    That's what I said shitwit - no doubt you'll remember
    reading that in here -- when the fucking crack you're
    smoking wears off and some yuppie wakes you up off
    the sidewalk.

    >> The problem with that is that there is still *no* way
    >> to dispose of the "spent" fuel... These assholes,
    >> oh excuse me... "investors" are willing to gamble that
    >> when the problem gets big enough, the "government" will
    >> fund a way to fix it... Ahem! "Government" = taxpayers.
    >>
    >> That is right : a fucking "conspiracy" with the same
    >> thing at its root as every other abomination in our
    >> culture. Greed!

    > Hmm...uhhmmm...wellll.... Yeah, I think that about says it!
    > But I don't know how much of a conspiracy is going on.
    > A lot of evil can be achieved just by the 'best' people
    > getting together and talking. They tend to do the same
    > things in their walk of life just as we do in ours.
    > But there ARE different "walks of life." Call them
    > different classes; means the same thing.

    Hmmm. OK, now that's constructive rationalization...
    Sort of like the part where Halliburton accidently
    makes a bunch of money and Cheney's blind trust fund
    quadruples. Unforseeable and unintended consequences
    from a harmless little conversation...

    And I like the part where you're agreeing with me.
    WTF do *you* think "conspiracy" means?

    Read all that somewheres and got ya to thinkin'?

    Nope, just typing, ehh?

    >> And why? Because shitheads don't vote and/or get involved
    >> past waiting until the election is over and then putting
    >> a bumper sticker on their SUVs so everyone else believes
    >> they are a "winner".

    > People around these parts still proudly sport their W stickers in yer
    > face, bottom-left in the rear window of their SUVs. They don't think
    > anything is wrong.

    Hmmm. Read *that* somewheres, did ya?

    >> Read the book, this joint is likely going up in flames

    > Book?

    It's one of those box looking thangys with
    lots of sheets of paper inside with writing on it.
    Sometimes it got pikktures too - so as toofless
    peoples can share in the American dream.

    >> "Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar?
    >> Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur."

    > didn't understand the above either..

    Do'h? Go after the sig line, ehh? Roughly :

    "Oh! Was I speaking Latin again?
    Silly me. Sometimes it just sort of slips out."

    --

    "Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes,
    fumum recta in faciem ferri?"

    Bucky Breeder, May 30, 2007
  6. Frosty

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote ...
    > "DoDoDisk" splatter-poops this from

    <all kinds of crap snipped>

    You're seriously sick and off your meds. But I'm glad we could have a
    meeting of minds. Does Kman come to or in yours?

    Don't forget to pull up the covers.

    DemoDisk, May 30, 2007
  7. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:30:21 -0400 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk SgtMinor
    <>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >Frosty wrote:
    >> It's inflation, dammit!

    <snippy deux>

    >Check out Aaron Russo's video re the Federal Reserve:
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=styYIG-fiEc

    That Ron Paul is really something.
    If I still voted I'd vote for him.

    Frosty, May 30, 2007
  8. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    On 29 May 2007 17:18:49 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Bucky Breeder
    <>, intended to write
    something intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >Frosty <> wrote in
    >>
    >> It's inflation, dammit!
    >> Why do we think we can just keep borrowing and printing
    >> currency with no ill consequences?
    >> Oh...it's public education, of course!

    >Like *you* are so goddamn *much* smarter than *everyone*
    >else... If you're so fucking smart, then eat shit -
    >that's what you're good at! Thanks for ruining my day,
    >you dooky-buger.

    Well, about that stuff, yeah, I am.

    <snip a bunch of sobbing about other peoples GREED!>

    >Read the book, this joint is likely going up in flames

    True that.

    Frosty, May 30, 2007
  9. Bucky Breeder wrote:

    > you dooky-buger.

    So was that supposed to be "dooky-burger" or "dooky-bugger"?

    I'm betting on the former, but I don't know your lifestyle.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 30, 2007
  10. "DoDoDisk" submits evidence of his mental illness in

    > You're seriously sick and off your meds. But I'm glad
    > we could have a meeting of minds. Does Kman come to
    > or in yours?
    >
    > Don't forget to pull up the covers.

    You may as well *prove* that
    you are a fucking idiot.

    Bucky Breeder, May 30, 2007
  11. "DoDoDisk" having no original thought of his own,
    writes in news::

    > "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote ...
    >> "DoDoDisk" splatter-poops this from

    > <all kinds of crap snipped>

    You talking about this, you shit-brained retard:

> [...]

    > People around these parts still proudly sport their W stickers in yer
    > face, bottom-left in the rear window of their SUVs. They don't think
    > anything is wrong.

    Hmmm. Read *that* somewheres, did ya?

    >> Read the book, this joint is likely going up in flames

    > Book?

    It's one of those box looking thangys with
    lots of sheets of paper inside with writing on it.
    Sometimes it got pikktures too - so as toofless
    peoples can share in the American dream.

    >> "Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar?
    >> Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur."

    > didn't understand the above either..

    Do'h? Go after the sig line, ehh? Roughly :

    "Oh! Was I speaking Latin again?
    Silly me. Sometimes it just sort of slips out."

    > You're seriously sick and off your meds. But I'm glad
    > we could have a
    > meeting of minds. Does Kman come to or in yours?

    You swing like a leetle gurl...

    Bucky Breeder, May 30, 2007
  12. Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >
    >> you dooky-buger.

    > So was that supposed to be "dooky-burger" or "dooky-bugger"?
    >
    > I'm betting on the former, but I don't know your lifestyle.

    If you have to ask...

    It's really *your* lifestyle at issue here, don't cha?

    It could be "booger", but it was aimed at an asshole
    who has delusions of being smarter than anyone else...

    Guess it got to you too, ehh?

    Spelling-troll tryouts, perhaps?

    LOL!

    Bucky Breeder, May 30, 2007
  13. Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >> Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >>
    >>> you dooky-buger.

    >> So was that supposed to be "dooky-burger" or "dooky-bugger"?
    >>
    >> I'm betting on the former, but I don't know your lifestyle.

    > If you have to ask...
    >
    > It's really *your* lifestyle at issue here, don't cha?
    >
    > It could be "booger", but it was aimed at an asshole
    > who has delusions of being smarter than anyone else...
    >
    > Guess it got to you too, ehh?
    >
    > Spelling-troll tryouts, perhaps?

    No, I just wondered what you meant.

    Blinky the Shark, May 31, 2007