    better boards.
    Please give reason as to why Z is better than Q and pricing.
    Is it always the case for these, that the higher the price, the better?

    Robert Baer, Nov 18, 2005

  2. Robert Baer

    PeteS Guest

    I would start by looking at high end graphics cards (or at least high
    end enough to run the latest genre of games) and then see what support
    it requires from the main board. Does it need PCI express? AGP8x?

    I have found, in general, that Abit does a good job on motherboards,
    and tend to be cheaper than the competition for comparable
    functionality.
    Asus also is quite good, and does their own (clone) graphics cards too.

    Cheers

    PeteS

    PeteS, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Robert Baer

    bmoag Guest

    Re: gamer video board

    It isn't just the motherboard.
    Out of the box motherboards that use the same chip sets, unless pushed, tend
    to perform similarly although differences in price can, but not always,
    reflect differences in build quality and hence long term reliability.
    In truth there are some amazing bargain priced motherboards out there.
    Ah, but what type of motherboard and what platform?
    Do want to use two video cards and do you understand what is availiable now
    and what ATI is promising?
    Do you understand the differences between Nvida 64 bit chip sets and Intel
    64 bit chip sets?
    Do you understand the difference between 32 and 64 bit technologies?
    Do you understand the difference in how AMD and Intel implement 64 bit
    technologies?
    Do you understand the differences between AMD dual core and Intel dual core
    technologies? Why one is good and one is about to be abandoned as a cobbled
    together me-too product?
    Do you even need or want dual core processing?
    Do you understand if or how differences in memory and bus speed may or may
    not be important?
    Do you understand how or if to overclock?
    Is AGP a quaint term out of the distant past or something you equate with
    PCIe?
    Do you understand why you may or may not want to use RAID and the
    differences between different types of RAID arrays?
    Do you understand how to ensure adequate cooling for high end, high speed,
    very hot components? This is something understimated by many do it
    yourselfers (as well as corporate vendors!). Your humble correspondent has
    seen home built and manufactured desktops that could double as a furnace for
    a small apartment building.
    In truth there are several smaller vendors who can build you a very high
    end, dual card/dual 64 bit core Raid arrayed system for less than you can
    build it yourself and with a warranty to boot.
    You might want to check them out.

    bmoag, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Re: gamer video board

    www.tomshardware.com

    Is a good site for reviews.

    Martin Riddle, Nov 19, 2005
  5. Robert Baer

    cbm5 Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > I need to build up a computer for a gamer, and wish to know about the
    > better boards.
    > Please give reason as to why Z is better than Q and pricing.
    > Is it always the case for these, that the higher the price, the better?

    The higher the price, the less incremental performance gained. It gets
    to the point where you're paying for single-digit FPS gains over a
    friend's machine, but spending hundreds more. IMHO, the formula is as
    follows:

    $0 - $50 --> trash barrel, play games released up to five years ago.

    $50 - $100 --> cheapskate, play games released up to three years ago
    with reduced quality and low resolution

    $100 - $150 --> low-end, may be possible to run a game from one year ago
    with reduced quality and low resolution

    $150 - $200 --> midrange, play older games at high quality and
    resolution or new games at low quality and medium resolution

    $200 - $250 --> upper-midrange, play new games at moderate quality
    settings and possibly high resolution

    $250 - $300 --> nearly top-end, play new games at good quality and high
    resolution

    $300 - $350 --> solid top-end, play new games with high quality and high
    resolution

    $350 - $400 --> serious top-end, play new games with high quality and
    maximum resolution

    $400 - $450 --> top-end of what most people are willing to spend, plays
    today's games at maximum quality and resolution and may survive a couple
    years of tomorrow's games.

    $450 - up --> obsession cards, primary purpose is getting a 2FPS edge on
    others with the same compulsive disorder.

    That's how I see it. In terms of FPS we're talking about a tenfold
    increase from the $50-$100 range to the $250-$300 range. From there to
    the $450+ cards you're looking at maybe 50% more FPS.

    cbm5, Nov 19, 2005
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Guest

    Re: gamer video board

    > I need to build up a computer for a gamer, and wish to know about the
    > better boards.
    > Please give reason as to why Z is better than Q and pricing.
    > Is it always the case for these, that the higher the price, the better?

    Right now there's two major competitors, NVIDIA and ATI. ATI seems to have
    stumbled badly in the last upgrade cycle leaving the Geforce series of
    NVIDIA at the top. One edition back from the top of the line would be the
    sweet spot.

    Robert

    Robert, Nov 19, 2005
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Guest

    Re: gamer video board

    "Martin Riddle" <> wrote in message
    > www.tomshardware.com
    >
    > Is a good site for reviews.
    >
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >> I need to build up a computer for a gamer, and wish to know about the
    >> better boards.
    >> Please give reason as to why Z is better than Q and pricing.
    >> Is it always the case for these, that the higher the price, the
    >> better?

    So is www.maximumpc.com

    They have a review of 10 of the latest Video cards here:
    http://www.maximumpc.com/reviews/video_cards/

    Robert

    Robert, Nov 19, 2005
  8. Re: gamer video board

    > I need to build up a computer for a gamer, and wish to know about the
    > better boards.

    I would first check on Toms Hardware; there is a recipy for a USD 500
    Gamers PC for inspiration. Everything PeeCee related changes every week
    anyway, so my accumulated wisdom is obsolete anyway ;-)

    Here goes:

    Get a PCI-Express Motherboard (MB). One can run several Graphics Cards in
    parallel on those IF the MB supports it.

    Athlon 64 3200 is nice too, a lot of performance for the money and it has
    some sort of idle mode that cuts power consumption down. At least 1 GB of
    RAM is needed, More than 120 GB disk too, Internet. Windows 64 SUCK and
    cannot even run itself properly, let alone a game, so just plain XP for now.

    > Please give reason as to why Z is better than Q and pricing.

    Religion! The Market is basically ATI Radeon and Nvidia Gforce leapfrogging
    each other. At present Nvidia is at the top. ATI will come up with
    something. So whatever goes in the box is what happens to match the money
    you have now ;-)

    Geforce 6600 with 256 MB DDR RAM is IMO ok for games now at USD 99, but ...
    If those GF 6600 can be paralleled they might be a better bet than a single
    high-end card.

    > Is it always the case for these, that the higher the price, the better?

    No, it's like it always is:

    There is a relation up to where the rationality of getting the "better" item
    disappears and it just become a fashion accessory because the underlying
    games engine (and the monitor) no longer support any better
    resolution/quality. There is also not much point in framerates many times
    above what one can visually see.

    I think the departure-from-sanity-point right now is about USD 200-250 for
    the GPU.

    Toms Hardware has analysis: www.tomshardware.com

    Frithiof Andreas Jensen, Nov 21, 2005