OT: Free is good (VMWare)

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Neil, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Neil

    Neil Guest

    for those of you who frequest this corner of the universe, you have
    likely heard mention at one point or another of Virtual Machines and how
    they can benefit your study. The 2 main producers of these products are
    Microsoft (through the purchase of Connectix) and VMWare. The products
    from MS are less costly than the VMWare equivalents, but VMWare has been
    doing this longer and in some cases have a better product.

    VMWare today announced that they will give away the latest version of
    VMWare GSX (now called VMWare Server). This would be a great solution to
    anyone thinking of setting up a home lab. You will hoever need a host
    computer with lots of horsepower, but here is the link for the details:

    http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/server_beta.html

    PS, if this sounds like spam, I am not affiliated with VMWare or any of
    thier subsidiaries, I like the MS products just fine thanks, and if
    you've been here for any length of time you should know me better.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - I can tell you are lying. Your lips are moving.
    Neil, Feb 6, 2006

  2. Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    > PS, if this sounds like spam, I am not affiliated with VMWare or any of
    > thier subsidiaries, I like the MS products just fine thanks, and if
    > you've been here for any length of time you should know me better.

    Come on Neil, we *all* know you've been paid to spam for their product.
    Robert Williams, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Neil

    Mike T. Guest

    Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    "Neil" <guess!!!@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > for those of you who frequest this corner of the universe, you have
    > likely heard mention at one point or another of Virtual Machines and how
    > they can benefit your study. The 2 main producers of these products are
    > Microsoft (through the purchase of Connectix) and VMWare. The products
    > from MS are less costly than the VMWare equivalents, but VMWare has been
    > doing this longer and in some cases have a better product.
    >
    > VMWare today announced that they will give away the latest version of
    > VMWare GSX (now called VMWare Server). This would be a great solution to
    > anyone thinking of setting up a home lab. You will hoever need a host
    > computer with lots of horsepower, but here is the link for the details:
    >
    > http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/server_beta.html
    >
    > PS, if this sounds like spam, I am not affiliated with VMWare or any of
    > thier subsidiaries, I like the MS products just fine thanks, and if
    > you've been here for any length of time you should know me better.

    This is GREAT news. I haven't used the MS product, but I HAVE used VMWare,
    and have been quite pleased with it.

    --
    Mike T.
    MCNGP #XLI
    Mike T., Feb 6, 2006
  4. Neil

    kpg Guest

    Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    Robert Williams <>
    said something like

    > Come on Neil, we *all* know you've been paid to spam for their
    > product.

    No. Neil is a straight shooter. He's doing it becuase he thinks
    (knows) it will help MCSE wannabees, and it's just a great deal.

    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Neil would spam for the right price.

    kpg

    PS - thanks for the info.
    kpg, Feb 6, 2006
  5. Neil

    Neil Guest

    Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    did you hear kpg <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> say in

    > No. Neil is a straight shooter. He's doing it becuase he thinks
    > (knows) it will help MCSE wannabees, and it's just a great deal.

    This is exactly the thing. This will help Joe Average to _LEARN_ the
    product. much better than offering some a$$Fsckin braindump. This is
    actually a great way to learn the products and using this tool could be
    helpful in the real world as well as many business consider teh benefits
    of vitualization.

    > Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Neil would spam for the right price.

    4 cups of coffee and $20 is usually a good start.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - One rm -rf / can ruin your whole day.
    Neil, Feb 6, 2006
  6. Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    > did you hear kpg <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> say in
    >
    > > No. Neil is a straight shooter. He's doing it becuase he thinks
    > > (knows) it will help MCSE wannabees, and it's just a great deal.

    > This is exactly the thing. This will help Joe Average to _LEARN_ the
    > product. much better than offering some a$$Fsckin braindump. This is
    > actually a great way to learn the products and using this tool could be
    > helpful in the real world as well as many business consider teh benefits
    > of vitualization.

    Because it's *you* Neil, I'm definitely going to check it out.

    > > Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Neil would spam for the right price.

    > 4 cups of coffee and $20 is usually a good start.

    Damnit, and we've only got 3 cups left.
    Robert Williams, Feb 6, 2006
  7. Neil

    Robert Moir Guest

    Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    Neil wrote:
    > for those of you who frequest this corner of the universe, you have
    > likely heard mention at one point or another of Virtual Machines and
    > how they can benefit your study. The 2 main producers of these
    > products are Microsoft (through the purchase of Connectix) and
    > VMWare. The products from MS are less costly than the VMWare
    > equivalents, but VMWare has been doing this longer and in some cases
    > have a better product.

    Virtual Machines were made for coursework labs, thats for sure.

    > VMWare today announced that they will give away the latest version of
    > VMWare GSX (now called VMWare Server). This would be a great solution
    > to anyone thinking of setting up a home lab. You will hoever need a
    > host computer with lots of horsepower, but here is the link for the
    > details:

    Can't compete with that price! Its actually a really good product too, I'm
    surprised they did that.

    Rob Moir, MS MVP
    Blog Site - http://www.robertmoir.com
    Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    I'm always surprised at "professionals" who STILL have to be asked "Have you
    checked (event viewer / syslog)".
    Robert Moir, Feb 6, 2006
  8. Neil

    JaR Guest

    plaintive wail of Neil:

    > VMWare today announced that they will give away the latest version of
    > VMWare GSX (now called VMWare Server).

    I do note that if you want to use it on a 'doze host, it has to be 2K or
    2K3 server. won't run on 2K or XP. Most folks studying won't have access to
    a server. Looks like it will install on nearly any Linux distro though. If
    you don't have a server license or don't want to keep re-installing every
    180 days you can load Linux on a box, then install VMWare and any windows
    versions on top of it.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110
    JaR, Feb 6, 2006
  9. Neil

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    >Come on Neil, we *all* know you've been paid to spam for their product.

    people who spam make me sick.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Tell your friends about our tasty 1/2 pounder over at Bob's diner.

    Wanna up trade that old dodge of yours? Well mosey on over to Ted
    O'Shays Autos.

    Need a lawyer quick? Call 08887-FAST-LAWYERS.

    Need to lose weight but dieting don't work? Then you need Nancy's low
    carb vitamin pills just $9.99 for 50!
    Kline Sphere, Feb 7, 2006
  10. Neil

    Mike T. Guest

    Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    "Robert Williams" <>
    schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:...

    >> did you hear kpg <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> say in
    >>
    >> > No. Neil is a straight shooter. He's doing it becuase he thinks
    >> > (knows) it will help MCSE wannabees, and it's just a great deal.

    >> This is exactly the thing. This will help Joe Average to _LEARN_ the
    >> product. much better than offering some a$$Fsckin braindump. This is
    >> actually a great way to learn the products and using this tool could be
    >> helpful in the real world as well as many business consider teh benefits
    >> of vitualization.
    >>

    > Because it's *you* Neil, I'm definitely going to check it out.
    >

    >> > Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Neil would spam for the right price.

    >> 4 cups of coffee and $20 is usually a good start.
    >>

    > Damnit, and we've only got 3 cups left.

    I bid $8 and a candy bar.

    --
    Mike T.
    MCNGP #XLI
    Mike T., Feb 8, 2006
  11. Neil

    Mike T. Guest

    Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    "Robert Williams" <>
    schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:...
    >> PS, if this sounds like spam, I am not affiliated with VMWare or any of
    >> thier subsidiaries, I like the MS products just fine thanks, and if
    >> you've been here for any length of time you should know me better.

    > Come on Neil, we *all* know you've been paid to spam for their product.

    Neil would never spam. As sure as I'm sitting at my IKEA© computer desk in
    front of my computer which, by the way, is running with an AMD Athlon XP®
    processor and Microsoft(tm) Windows XP Professional®, and drinking a nice
    piping hot cup of Maxwell House(tm) coffee with two spoonfuls of Domino®
    sugar.

    Maxwell House. Good to the last drop.©

    --
    Mike T.
    MCNGP #XLI
    Mike T., Feb 8, 2006
  12. Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    "Mike T." <> wrote in message

    > "Robert Williams" <>
    > schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:...
    > >
    > > "Neil" <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> did you hear kpg <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> say in

    > >> This is exactly the thing. This will help Joe Average to _LEARN_ the
    > >> product. much better than offering some a$$Fsckin braindump. This is
    > >> actually a great way to learn the products and using this tool could be
    > >> helpful in the real world as well as many business consider teh benefits
    > >> of vitualization.
    > >>

    > > Because it's *you* Neil, I'm definitely going to check it out.

    > >> 4 cups of coffee and $20 is usually a good start.
    > >>

    > > Damnit, and we've only got 3 cups left.
    > >

    > I bid $8 and a candy bar.

    I'll give you $7 and *one* of my peanutbutter cups.
    Robert Williams, Feb 8, 2006
  13. Neil

    MitchS Guest

    Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    "Robert Williams" <>
    wrote in message news:...

    > "Mike T." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Robert Williams" <>
    >> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:...
    >> >
    >> > "Neil" <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >> > Because it's *you* Neil, I'm definitely going to check it out.

    >> > Damnit, and we've only got 3 cups left.
    >> >

    >> I bid $8 and a candy bar.
    >>

    > I'll give you $7 and *one* of my peanutbutter cups.

    A buck fifty and you can have your pic taken next to my red stapler.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    MitchS, Feb 8, 2006
  14. Re: Free is good (VMWare)

    "MitchS" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert Williams" <>
    > wrote in message news:...
    > >
    > > "Mike T." <> wrote in message

    > >> I bid $8 and a candy bar.
    > >>

    > > I'll give you $7 and *one* of my peanutbutter cups.

    > A buck fifty and you can have your pic taken next to my red stapler.

    No WAY!!!!!!! Sold!!!
    Robert Williams, Feb 8, 2006