OT: Ford, The Survivor....venting!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John A., Jun 7, 2009.

  1. John A.

    John A. Guest

    On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 09:43:37 -0500, "Dr.Smith" <>
    wrote:
    >A few months before that I had "Check Engine Light". Years ago on my 1990
    >Silverado, you could simply hook up a jumper (wire or bent paperclip)
    >between a couple of the sockets on the diagnostic interface and the trouble
    >code would blink out on the "Check Engine Light" on the dash. GM redesigned
    >that so that mechanics or DIY's would have to buy expensive equipment to
    >check this now. That cost me $70 to find out that I had a bad gas cap!

    The equipment's not that expensive.
    http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125-PocketScan-Code-Reader/dp/B0007LEG2K

    Or if you want even cheaper:
    http://www.amazon.com/C100-Check-Engine-Scanner-Reader/dp/B0026IU98W

    >I have stuck by GM since I was a teenager (just turned 42), but their idea
    >of loyalty only goes one way.
    >
    >Maybe all manufacturers design their vehicles this way now.

    Dunno about the rest, but the OBD II interface is standard for all
    manufacturers. It has been required in all cars sold in the US since
    '96. Most manufacturers do have their own custom codes beyond the
    standard codes. You can look them up online, though.

    John A., Jun 7, 2009