    <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a2>

    --
    Peter
    peter, Dec 21, 2010

  2. "peter" <> wrote in message
    news:4d10a24e$0$5483$-secrets.com...

    > The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
    >
    > Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
    > this issue.
    >
    > According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
    > on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control access
    > (and content?)
    >
    > <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a2>

    Even Al Franken can have a dose of sanity now and then.
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Dec 21, 2010

  3. peter

    RichA Guest

    On Dec 21, 7:48 am, peter <> wrote:
    > The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
    >
    > Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
    > this issue.
    >
    > According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
    > on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
    > access (and content?)
    >
    > <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=t...>
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
    opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with? You and the other
    Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
    websites.
    RichA, Dec 21, 2010
  4. peter

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:38:01 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Dec 21, 7:48 am, peter <> wrote:
    >> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
    >>
    >> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
    >> this issue.
    >>
    >> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
    >> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
    >> access (and content?)
    >>
    >> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=t...>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    >Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
    >opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with? You and the other
    >Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
    >websites.

    Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".
    John A., Dec 21, 2010
  5. peter

    RichA Guest

    On Dec 21, 12:42 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:38:01 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Dec 21, 7:48 am, peter <> wrote:
    > >> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.

    > >> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
    > >> this issue.

    > >> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
    > >> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
    > >> access (and content?)

    > >> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=t...>

    > >> --
    > >> Peter

    > >Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
    > >opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with?  You and the other
    > >Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
    > >websites.

    > Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".

    What does Al Franken think of the ADL's placement of a "hate filter"
    in a large internet censor mechanism originally designed to filter
    pornography? Al Gore endorsed it, but what does Franken think?
    RichA, Dec 21, 2010
  6. peter

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:51:21 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Dec 21, 12:42 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:38:01 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
    >> >opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with?  You and the other
    >> >Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
    >> >websites.

    >> Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".

    >What does Al Franken think of the ADL's placement of a "hate filter"
    >in a large internet censor mechanism originally designed to filter
    >pornography? Al Gore endorsed it, but what does Franken think?

    As it happens, my web browser effectively filters out pages I'm not
    currently looking at. Such a filter as you describe, installed,
    configured, activated, and used at the option of the user, is no more
    censorship than that.

    My not listening to you is not an infringement of your freedom of
    speech.
    John A., Dec 22, 2010
  7. peter

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:39:08 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2010-12-21 09:51:21 -0800, RichA <> said:
    >
    >> On Dec 21, 12:42 pm, John A. <> wrote:

    >> on

    >> ss

    >> =t...>

    >>> Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".

    >> What does Al Franken think of the ADL's placement of a "hate filter"
    >> in a large internet censor mechanism originally designed to filter
    >> pornography? Al Gore endorsed it, but what does Franken think?

    >...and just why would you be bothered, considering your location North
    >of the border?

    Loss of an audience south of the border?
    John A., Dec 22, 2010
  8. peter

    peter Guest

    On 12/21/2010 12:51 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Dec 21, 12:42 pm, John A.<> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:38:01 -0800 (PST), RichA<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
    >>> opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with? You and the other
    >>> Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
    >>> websites.

    >> Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".

    > What does Al Franken think of the ADL's placement of a "hate filter"
    > in a large internet censor mechanism originally designed to filter
    > pornography? Al Gore endorsed it, but what does Franken think?

    Ask! He has a public email. While you're dissing Franken, read the whole
    FCC proposal, It sets up the groundwork for censorship. the proposal
    scares the shit out of me. Also, read the loopholes.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Dec 22, 2010
  9. peter

    peter Guest

    On 12/21/2010 5:30 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2010-12-21 11:48:49 -0800, Bowser <> said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:48:49 -0500, peter
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
    >>>
    >>> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
    >>> this issue.
    >>>
    >>> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
    >>> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
    >>> access (and content?)
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a2>
    >>>

    > Never
    >>>

    >> mind...
    >>
    >> Franken is against the mobile compaines censoring sites to sell their
    >> own. Still not sure the gov should get involved.

    > Who is AT&T & Verizon paying.

    The proposed rules are quite fuzzy. I think the FCC is dipping its toe
    in the water. It is up to us, to raise a fuss. I have already written my
    congressman and both Senators.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Dec 22, 2010
  10. peter

    peter Guest

    On 12/21/2010 8:12 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
    > "peter"<> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
    >>
    >> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
    >> this issue.
    >>
    >> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
    >> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control access
    >> (and content?)
    >>
    >> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a2>

    > Even Al Franken can have a dose of sanity now and then.

    Think it through.Hopefully you will write to your congressman and
    Senators Schumer and Gilderbrand, expressing your POV. this affects all
    of us, which is why I posted this off topic article.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Dec 22, 2010
  11. In article <4d10a24e$0$5483$-secrets.com>,
    peter <> wrote:

    > The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
    >
    > Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
    > this issue.
    >
    > According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
    > on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
    > access (and content?)
    >
    > <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todayshea
    > dlines&emc=a2>

    Would you rather have Verizon, AT&T, and Comcast remain mostly in charge
    of US Internet? And before you start talking about free markets, read
    up on what they've been doing to guarantee that there's no free market.
    --
    I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam
    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 22, 2010
  12. "peter" <> wrote in message
    > On 12/21/2010 8:12 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >> "peter"<> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
    >>>
    >>> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
    >>> this issue.
    >>>
    >>> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
    >>> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
    >>> access
    >>> (and content?)
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a2>

    >> Even Al Franken can have a dose of sanity now and then.

    > Think it through.Hopefully you will write to your congressman and Senators
    > Schumer and Gilderbrand, expressing your POV. this affects all of us,
    > which is why I posted this off topic article.

    Already done that but I fear our great Senators don't pay much attention to
    our letters. I've written Schumer in the past and the responseses I've
    received clearly show that my letters were not read. I've called
    Gillibrand's office a couple of times and I was given a run-around without
    ever having the chance to express my opinion and make my request. Although
    my representative Tim Bishop and I have pretty much opposite views, my
    opinion of him is far better than that of our Senators. He's responsive and
    has given my wife and I some face-to-face time so that we can address our
    concerns. On top of that, it's hard to not like the guy, very personable.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some action the Congress took to
    prohibit the FCC from doing anything like this, yet the FCC is going ahead
    anyway?
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Dec 22, 2010
  13. peter

    Ray Fischer Guest

    peter <> wrote:

    >The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.

    Liar. The announced that they're going to regulate internet providers
    to ensure free access to the internet.

    --
    Ray Fischer | Mendacracy (n.) government by lying
    Ray Fischer, Dec 22, 2010
  14. peter

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:49:24 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <4d10a24e$0$5483$-secrets.com>,
    >> peter <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
    >>>
    >>> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
    >>> this issue.
    >>>
    >>> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
    >>> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
    >>> access (and content?)
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todayshea
    >>> dlines&emc=a2>

    >>Would you rather have Verizon, AT&T, and Comcast remain mostly in charge
    >>of US Internet? And before you start talking about free markets, read
    >>up on what they've been doing to guarantee that there's no free market.

    >Agreed, but I get nervous when the government gets involved.

    Because we all know that corporations can be trusted to do what's best
    for citizens, right?

    > However
    >good their intentions may be, they're just a bunch of know-nothing
    >lawyers who think they know what they're doing.

    Rightard propaganda.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 22, 2010
  15. peter

    GMAN Guest

    In article <4d12619f$0$43992$>, wrote:
    >Bowser <> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:49:24 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
    >><> wrote:

    > <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todayshea
    >>>
    >>>Would you rather have Verizon, AT&T, and Comcast remain mostly in charge
    >>>of US Internet? And before you start talking about free markets, read
    >>>up on what they've been doing to guarantee that there's no free market.

    >>Agreed, but I get nervous when the government gets involved.

    >Because we all know that corporations can be trusted to do what's best
    >for citizens, right?

    But you trust Govt to do that???

    GMAN, Dec 22, 2010
  16. peter

    Ray Fischer Guest

    GMAN <> wrote:
    >In article <4d12619f$0$43992$>, wrote:
    >>Bowser <> wrote:

    >> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todayshea

    >>>Agreed, but I get nervous when the government gets involved.

    >>Because we all know that corporations can be trusted to do what's best
    >>for citizens, right?

    >But you trust Govt to do that???

    The government is accountable to the voters.
    Corporations are accountable to shareholders.

    I trust corporations to consider profits to be their primary
    objective. Service to customers, honesty, free markets, even
    the survival of people, comes second.

    Government isn't about making profits. The primary objective is to
    provide service to customers.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 22, 2010
  17. peter

    peter Guest

    On 12/22/2010 3:36 PM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    > peter<> wrote:
    >>
    >> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.

    > Liar. The announced that they're going to regulate internet providers
    > to ensure free access to the internet.

    Your name calling is helpful.

    Without providers how does the average person get access.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Dec 22, 2010
  18. peter

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:56:05 -0500, peter
    <> wrote:

    >On 12/22/2010 3:36 PM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> peter<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.

    >> Liar. The announced that they're going to regulate internet providers
    >> to ensure free access to the internet.
    >>

    >Your name calling is helpful.
    >
    >Without providers how does the average person get access.

    A moot question.
    John A., Dec 22, 2010
  19. peter

    Ray Fischer Guest

    peter <> wrote:
    >On 12/22/2010 3:36 PM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> peter<> wrote:

    >>> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.

    >> Liar. The announced that they're going to regulate internet providers
    >> to ensure free access to the internet.

    >Your name calling is helpful.

    Yep. I wouldn't want you to be free to decieve people with such
    transparent bnullshit.

    >Without providers how does the average person get access.

    Are you really going to try that bullshit extortion routine?

    Ray Fischer, Dec 23, 2010
  20. peter

    peter Guest

    On 12/23/2010 4:28 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    > peter<> wrote:

    >>> Liar. The announced that they're going to regulate internet providers
    >>> to ensure free access to the internet.

    >> Your name calling is helpful.

    > Yep. I wouldn't want you to be free to decieve people with such
    > transparent bnullshit.

    We agree

    >> Without providers how does the average person get access.

    > Are you really going to try that bullshit extortion routine?

    Do you think everybody is entitle to free Internet access

    --
    Peter
    peter, Dec 23, 2010