    Is there any way to download the original photo?
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 10, 2012

  2. In article <>,
    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    > I'm logged on as a Facebook user and I can see the thumbnails of
    > somebody's "Wall" photos.
    >
    > But when I click on one it goes grey and throws a sort of
    > progress icon, but nothing further happens.
    >
    > Is there any way to download the original photo?

    Pete-

    I'm not a member, but a group I belong to is on Facebook.

    I went to their Facebook web page and clicked on a wall picture at the
    top of the screen. It took me to a page with several pictures, each of
    which was a collection of more pictures. At one of the collections I
    clicked on one of the pictures, and it came up in a larger size. At the
    lower right corner of the picture was the word, Options. One of the
    options was to download the picture.

    It happened to be one of my photos, and the copy I downloaded was 3.1
    megapixels. The original was 10 megapixels, so it had been downsized.
    However that may be the best you can do.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Apr 10, 2012

  3. Per Fred McKenzie:
    >At one of the collections I
    >clicked on one of the pictures, and it came up in a larger size. At the
    >lower right corner of the picture was the word, Options. One of the
    >options was to download the picture.

    Thanks for the validation.

    Sounds like that functionality is, at the moment, broken for me.
    Guess I'll wait a few days and see what happens.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 10, 2012
  4. In article <>,
    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    > Sounds like that functionality is, at the moment, broken for me.
    > Guess I'll wait a few days and see what happens.

    Pete-

    You might also try a different web browser.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Apr 10, 2012
  5. Per Fred McKenzie:

    >You might also try a different web browser.

    Tried Chrome 18.0.1025.152 m and IE 8.0.6001 - same results.

    Anybody doing this successfully? Browser Name/Version?
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 11, 2012
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Bruce Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >I'm logged on as a Facebook user and I can see the thumbnails of
    >somebody's "Wall" photos.
    >
    >But when I click on one it goes grey and throws a sort of
    >progress icon, but nothing further happens.
    >
    >Is there any way to download the original photo?

    I suspect the person's account settings are preventing you from doing
    that. I closed my Facebook account some time ago and there have been
    several changes to privacy settings since then, so I cannot give you
    more specific advice.

    Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
    you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
    have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
    without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
    foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

    Bruce, Apr 11, 2012
  7. Per Bruce:
    >Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
    >you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
    >have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
    >without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
    >foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

    He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
    are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
    own copies.

    The privacy settings angle rings true to me and I'm going to ping
    him on it.

    The problem link:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Extre....126654330754648.35664.107900719296676&type=3

    or: http://tinyurl.com/7csokwv
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 11, 2012
  8. (PeteCresswell)

    Bruce Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    >Per Bruce:
    >>Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
    >>you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
    >>have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
    >>without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
    >>foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

    >He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
    >are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
    >own copies.

    They are his images, not yours. His copyright, not yours. You are
    not legally entitled to any images made of you in a public space.

    Bruce, Apr 11, 2012
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    Bruce Guest

    >On 2012-04-11 06:23:44 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >> "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    >>> Per Bruce:
    >>>
    >>> He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
    >>> are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
    >>> own copies.

    >> They are his images, not yours. His copyright, not yours. You are
    >> not legally entitled to any images made of you in a public space.

    >However, It seems that the Facebook account holder, who placed these
    >images out in public has technically waived his copyright.

    The Facebook user has not waived his or her copyright, either
    "technically" (whatever that means) or otherwise. It is a breach of
    copyright to take and/or use images from the web unless the copyright
    owner expressly permits it.

    Common sense should tell you not to post anything online that you
    don't want other people to copy or use, but placing files on a web
    site is not in itself an invitation to take and/or use unless that is
    specifically stated.

    Bruce, Apr 11, 2012
  10. Per George Kerby:
    >I opened the link to several pictures of a guy and guys on water. I take it
    >that you are the guy with the red coat/jacket? I clicked on the upper left
    >file and drug to my desktop. File 559074...270.jpg opens without any problem
    >in Preview on a Mac using Safari.

    That's the answer: user RCI..... worked for me too, now that I
    know what to do.

    I didn't mean to start a legal discussion. Trust me: this guy
    *wants* me to have these pics. He just doesn't have the
    technical savvy to just email them to me.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 11, 2012
  11. (PeteCresswell)

    Bruce Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >Per George Kerby:
    >>I opened the link to several pictures of a guy and guys on water. I take it
    >>that you are the guy with the red coat/jacket? I clicked on the upper left
    >>file and drug to my desktop. File 559074...270.jpg opens without any problem
    >>in Preview on a Mac using Safari.

    >That's the answer: user RCI..... worked for me too, now that I
    >know what to do.
    >
    >I didn't mean to start a legal discussion. Trust me: this guy
    >*wants* me to have these pics. He just doesn't have the
    >technical savvy to just email them to me.

    I find it difficult to believe that anyone who can upload images to
    Facebook would have any difficulty attaching the same images to an
    email message.

    Bruce, Apr 12, 2012
  12. (PeteCresswell)

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:36:36 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-04-11 16:23:20 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >
    >> "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Per George Kerby:
    >>>
    >>> That's the answer: user RCI..... worked for me too, now that I
    >>> know what to do.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't mean to start a legal discussion. Trust me: this guy
    >>> *wants* me to have these pics. He just doesn't have the
    >>> technical savvy to just email them to me.

    >> I find it difficult to believe that anyone who can upload images to
    >> Facebook would have any difficulty attaching the same images to an
    >> email message.

    >Amazing!
    >We agree again.

    Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
    Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Apr 12, 2012
  13. (PeteCresswell)

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
    > Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.

    what an idiotic comment and why am i not surprised.

    nospam, Apr 12, 2012
  14. Per Bruce:
    >I find it difficult to believe that anyone who can upload images to
    >Facebook would have any difficulty attaching the same images to an
    >email message.

    So do I - but there it is.

    I didn't want to prod him, but the first thing that came to my
    mind is that he uploaded them and then lost track of where the
    originals were.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 12, 2012
  15. Per tony cooper:
    >Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
    >Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.

    Everybody I know who has a small business has a Facebook account
    - and some of them are stone technophobes, so I'm guessing they
    see value in it.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 12, 2012
  16. (PeteCresswell)

    Bruce Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >>I find it difficult to believe that anyone who can upload images to
    >>Facebook would have any difficulty attaching the same images to an
    >>email message.

    >So do I - but there it is.
    >
    >I didn't want to prod him, but the first thing that came to my
    >mind is that he uploaded them and then lost track of where the
    >originals were.

    Someone needs a slap.

    Bruce, Apr 12, 2012
  17. (PeteCresswell)

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:25:45 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Per tony cooper:
    >>Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
    >>Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.

    >Everybody I know who has a small business has a Facebook account
    >- and some of them are stone technophobes, so I'm guessing they
    >see value in it.

    A lot of people think they should do something because "everybody" is
    doing it. If Facebook suddenly disappeared, would it affect them,
    though?
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Apr 12, 2012
  18. (PeteCresswell)

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >>Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
    > >>Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.

    > >Everybody I know who has a small business has a Facebook account
    > >- and some of them are stone technophobes, so I'm guessing they
    > >see value in it.

    > A lot of people think they should do something because "everybody" is
    > doing it.

    some do but not as much as you think.

    > If Facebook suddenly disappeared, would it affect them,
    > though?

    yes.

    nospam, Apr 12, 2012
  19. Per Bruce:

    >Someone needs a slap.

    If you're talking about the guy who took the photos, don't look
    at me!.... he weighs around 300# and is an avid athlete.... -)
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Apr 12, 2012
  20. (PeteCresswell)

    Bruce Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >Per Bruce:
    >>
    >>Someone needs a slap.

    >If you're talking about the guy who took the photos, don't look
    >at me!.... he weighs around 300# and is an avid athlete.... -)

    I wasn't offering to do it. ;-)

    Bruce, Apr 12, 2012