(OT) F1 Pole Positions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector-NZ, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1:20.555
    Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW 1:20.653
    Jenson Button BAR-Honda 1:20.734
    Fernando Alonso Renault 1:20.773
    Takuma Sato BAR-Honda 1:20.805
    Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.856
    Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:20.898 Antonio Pizzonia
    Williams-BMW 1:20.921
    David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.058
    Jarno Trulli Renault 1:21.506
    Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas 1:21.859
    Olivier Panis Toyota 1:21.889
    Giancarlo Fisichella Sauber-Petronas 1:21.929
    Ricardo Zonta Toyota 1:22.114
    Christian Klien Jaguar-Cosworth 1:22.230
    Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth 1:22.490
    Nick Heidfeld Jordan-Ford 1:23.146
    Gianmaria Bruni Minardi-Cosworth 1:23.794
    Giorgio Pantano Jordan-Ford
    Zsolt Baumgartner Minardi-Cosworth

    They where all probably heavy on fuel as Monza is a loser for pitstops,

    Catch you all tonite at midnight guys.
    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:
    > Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1:20.555
    > Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW 1:20.653
    > Jenson Button BAR-Honda 1:20.734
    > Fernando Alonso Renault 1:20.773
    > Takuma Sato BAR-Honda 1:20.805
    > Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.856
    > Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:20.898 Antonio Pizzonia
    > Williams-BMW 1:20.921
    > David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.058
    > Jarno Trulli Renault 1:21.506
    > Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas 1:21.859
    > Olivier Panis Toyota 1:21.889
    > Giancarlo Fisichella Sauber-Petronas 1:21.929
    > Ricardo Zonta Toyota 1:22.114
    > Christian Klien Jaguar-Cosworth 1:22.230
    > Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth 1:22.490
    > Nick Heidfeld Jordan-Ford 1:23.146
    > Gianmaria Bruni Minardi-Cosworth 1:23.794
    > Giorgio Pantano Jordan-Ford
    > Zsolt Baumgartner Minardi-Cosworth
    >
    > They where all probably heavy on fuel as Monza is a loser for
    > pitstops,

    True. Damn, that's an interesting grid. Was it rain affected or anything?

    > Catch you all tonite at midnight guys.

    Looks like an interesting race. I'll be watching it.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2004

  3. > Looks like an interesting race. I'll be watching it.

    What time tonite is the race please ? TV1 again ?

    ta.

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 11, 2004
  4. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ...Waylon Smithers.. wrote:
    >> Looks like an interesting race. I'll be watching it.

    > What time tonite is the race please ? TV1 again ?

    Coverage starts at 11:30pm and the race at around midnite. Yep TV1. It was
    only during the Olympics that it went to 2.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2004
  5. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    ~misfit~ said the following on 12/09/2004 01:27:
    > Collector-NZ wrote:
    >

    >>They where all probably heavy on fuel as Monza is a loser for
    >>pitstops,

    > True. Damn, that's an interesting grid. Was it rain affected or anything?
    >

    >>Catch you all tonite at midnight guys.

    > Looks like an interesting race. I'll be watching it.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Perfect running conditions, just the way it came out. But even Montoya
    who was doing 1.19.5 in Practice ran a lot slower. Low down force and
    big fuel loads make a huge difference.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 12, 2004
  6. Collector-NZ

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Collector-NZ <> wrote:

    > Perfect running conditions, just the way it came out. But even Montoya
    > who was doing 1.19.5 in Practice ran a lot slower. Low down force and
    > big fuel loads make a huge difference.

    I guess I don't understand, being only a very occasional motorsport
    watcher.

    Can they not refuel (or change tyres) between qualifying and the start
    of the race? If so, when did that start?

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Sep 12, 2004
  7. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Bruce Hoult said the following on 12/09/2004 13:20:

    > In article <>,
    > Collector-NZ <> wrote:
    >

    >>Perfect running conditions, just the way it came out. But even Montoya
    >>who was doing 1.19.5 in Practice ran a lot slower. Low down force and
    >>big fuel loads make a huge difference.

    > I guess I don't understand, being only a very occasional motorsport
    > watcher.
    >
    > Can they not refuel (or change tyres) between qualifying and the start
    > of the race? If so, when did that start?

    Under the Parkfirma rules they have to start with the tyres and fuel
    they had at Qualifying and no changes to the cars. Came in this season.
    If they need to change and engine/trans after qualifying then they start
    from the pit lane.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 12, 2004
  8. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:
    > Bruce Hoult said the following on 12/09/2004 13:20:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Collector-NZ <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Perfect running conditions, just the way it came out. But even
    >>> Montoya who was doing 1.19.5 in Practice ran a lot slower. Low down
    >>> force and big fuel loads make a huge difference.

    >> I guess I don't understand, being only a very occasional motorsport
    >> watcher.
    >>
    >> Can they not refuel (or change tyres) between qualifying and the
    >> start of the race? If so, when did that start?
    >>

    > Under the Parkfirma rules they have to start with the tyres and fuel
    > they had at Qualifying and no changes to the cars. Came in this
    > season. If they need to change and engine/trans after qualifying then
    > they start from the pit lane.

    Yeah, quite a few new rules this year, some controversial. And they're
    talking about more changes next year. At the moment it's one engine/trans
    has to last all weekend, they're talking about it having to last two meets
    next year.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 12, 2004
  9. Collector-NZ

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Collector-NZ <> wrote:

    > > Can they not refuel (or change tyres) between qualifying and the start
    > > of the race? If so, when did that start?
    > >

    > Under the Parkfirma rules they have to start with the tyres and fuel
    > they had at Qualifying and no changes to the cars. Came in this season.
    > If they need to change and engine/trans after qualifying then they start
    > from the pit lane.

    Interesting. And I didn't think that was the case last time I watched.
    (Well, ok, I watched the Spa race recently, thanks to a head-up here).

    I suppose it's intended to stop them having silly setups for qualifying,
    and add a bit more strategy to the race. But surely the only reasonable
    thing to do is to work backwards fromt the end, figuring your fuel
    stops, then put in just enough to do qualifying and get to the first
    fuel stop, and put on the stickiest tyres you can that will last to the
    first fuel stop.

    I'd be very suprised if it was worth getting pole position if it meant
    that you had to pit 10 laps before anyone else.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Sep 12, 2004
  10. > Coverage starts at 11:30pm and the race at around midnite. Yep TV1.
    > It was only during the Olympics that it went to 2.

    Thanks, looks like another late night tonite watching some good racing :)

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 12, 2004
  11. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Bruce Hoult said the following on 12/09/2004 14:42:

    > In article <>,
    > Collector-NZ <> wrote:

    > I'd be very suprised if it was worth getting pole position if it meant
    > that you had to pit 10 laps before anyone else.

    Depends on the track, some tracks extract a heavy penalty (pit stop
    requiring a lead of 15-20 secs to rejoin in the same position) while
    others are really quick and can be an advantage to pit early and often
    to keep the car on top running form. (Lighter etc)

    Collector-NZ, Sep 12, 2004
  12. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Re: (OT)Can you Imagine F1 in NZ.GEN

    If we moved into NZ.GEN for this fortnightly discussion can you imagine
    the flames profanity and bitching, goes to show us NZ.COMP types are
    generally fairly easy going

    -)

    Collector-NZ, Sep 12, 2004
  13. Collector-NZ

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message
    > If we moved into NZ.GEN for this fortnightly discussion can you imagine
    > the flames profanity and bitching, goes to show us NZ.COMP types are
    > generally fairly easy going
    >
    > -)

    You just leave Roger right where he is.
    LOL

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 12, 2004
  14. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:
    > If we moved into NZ.GEN for this fortnightly discussion can you
    > imagine the flames profanity and bitching, goes to show us NZ.COMP
    > types are generally fairly easy going
    >
    > -)

    Agreed. I tried out nz.general for all of a couple of weeks a few years back
    and, from the look of the crossposted threads I've seen since, it hasn't
    changed.

    For the most part nz.comp is a very relaxed MG, I like that.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 12, 2004
  15. Collector-NZ

    EMB Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:

    > If we moved into NZ.GEN for this fortnightly discussion can you imagine
    > the flames profanity and bitching, goes to show us NZ.COMP types are
    > generally fairly easy going

    Let's just leave the F1 threads right here, not only are we not being
    flamed for it but there appears to be a widening group of interested
    parties.

    And to keep it on topic, isn't all telemetry from the onboard computers
    banned from next year?

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    Old age is the outpatients department for purgatory.

    -John Morton

    EMB, Sep 12, 2004
  16. Collector-NZ

    Mr Scebe Guest

    > Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1:20.555

    Ah yes, anther attempt at a 1-2.

    > Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW 1:20.653

    Takes out Barrichello and Button at the first corner, and Kimi wins easily.

    > Jenson Button BAR-Honda 1:20.734
    > Fernando Alonso Renault 1:20.773
    > Takuma Sato BAR-Honda 1:20.805

    You have to ask how? Though he's been surprisingly fast this season. Bob
    reckoned it was the tyres. He could easily take out Shu from here ;)

    > Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.856
    > Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:20.898 Antonio Pizzonia
    > Williams-BMW 1:20.921
    > David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.058

    Time to go.

    > Jarno Trulli Renault 1:21.506
    > Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas 1:21.859
    > Olivier Panis Toyota 1:21.889
    > Giancarlo Fisichella Sauber-Petronas 1:21.929
    > Ricardo Zonta Toyota 1:22.114
    > Christian Klien Jaguar-Cosworth 1:22.230
    > Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth 1:22.490
    > Nick Heidfeld Jordan-Ford 1:23.146
    > Gianmaria Bruni Minardi-Cosworth 1:23.794
    > Giorgio Pantano Jordan-Ford
    > Zsolt Baumgartner Minardi-Cosworth
    >
    > They where all probably heavy on fuel as Monza is a loser for pitstops,
    >
    > Catch you all tonite at midnight guys.

    Maybe.

    Just out of interest who supports what teams? I'm an old Maclaren fan,
    because i still feel they're a part of us.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Sep 12, 2004
  17. Collector-NZ

    EMB said the following on 12/09/2004 21:24:

    > Collector-NZ wrote:
    >
    >> If we moved into NZ.GEN for this fortnightly discussion can you
    >> imagine the flames profanity and bitching, goes to show us NZ.COMP
    >> types are generally fairly easy going

    > Let's just leave the F1 threads right here, not only are we not being
    > flamed for it but there appears to be a widening group of interested
    > parties.
    >
    > And to keep it on topic, isn't all telemetry from the onboard computers
    > banned from next year?

    For sure, since Misfit and I got to talking we have added quite a few
    extras to the threads each fortnight.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 12, 2004
  18. Collector-NZ

    EMB Guest

    Mr Scebe wrote:

    > Just out of interest who supports what teams? I'm an old Maclaren fan,
    > because i still feel they're a part of us.

    McLaren, partly because of the NZ connection, partly because of a tour
    of their factory back in the 1980's.

    EMB, Sep 12, 2004
  19. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Mr Scebe wrote:
    >
    >> Just out of interest who supports what teams? I'm an old Maclaren
    >> fan, because i still feel they're a part of us.

    > McLaren, partly because of the NZ connection, partly because of a tour
    > of their factory back in the 1980's.

    I've always liked Williams for some reason. Frank's a bit of a carachter. No
    real favourites as far as teams go, I'm more of a driver man. I used to
    think Benneton were a good team, especially when they were using Ford
    engines. They were using V8's while everyone else was using V10's (except
    Ferrari who were using V12's). Now they're all V10's that's it, no choice,
    FIA rules.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 12, 2004
  20. Collector-NZ

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <NPU0d.1593$>,
    "Mr Scebe" <> wrote:

    > "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1:20.555

    > Ah yes, anther attempt at a 1-2.

    Sucessful.

    > They where all probably heavy on fuel as Monza is a loser for pitstops,

    And the winner was the only one to have three pit stops instead of two
    (or one, in the case of Coulthard).

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Sep 12, 2004