    says a lot about the team and the drivers.
    What happened to Montoya and at one stage I had visions of Sato tucking
    his balls under cover and having a go at at Schummy but alas no.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Collector-NZ

    Patrick Bold Guest

    Re: (OT) Off-topic means take it somewhere else

    An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of this.
    Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just email your
    friends.

    Patrick Bold, Sep 12, 2004

  3. Collector-NZ

    EMB Guest

    Re: (OT) Off-topic means ignore it Patrick

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of this.
    > Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just email your
    > friends.

    With all due respect Patrick, go take a flying fsck at yourself -
    there's a reasonably large band of interested bods here, the posts are
    marked as off topic, and you appear to be the only person who has a
    problem with it.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Sep 12, 2004
  4. Collector-NZ

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Patrick Bold wrote:
    >
    >> An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of
    >> this. Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just
    >> email your friends.

    > With all due respect Patrick, go take a flying fsck at yourself -
    > there's a reasonably large band of interested bods here, the posts are
    > marked as off topic, and you appear to be the only person who has a
    > problem with it.

    With all due respect, EMB, this is nz.comp. Marking a an off-topic post
    as off-topic is simply stating the obvious. It has no place here, no
    matter how interested a handful of mates may happen to be in the subject
    and no matter how many other people bother to object. Usenet happens to
    one of those places places where the rule of thumb is NOT "It's all
    about me". Have some respect for the medium and for your fellow users.

    And btw...cussing someone out just makes you look ignorant. Try coming
    up a reasonable argument for why this newsgroup should become
    nz.catchall and we can discuss it.

    Patrick Bold, Sep 12, 2004
  5. Collector-NZ

    Herb Garden Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> Patrick Bold wrote:
    >>
    >>> An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of
    >>> this. Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just
    >>> email your friends.

    >> With all due respect Patrick, go take a flying fsck at yourself -
    >> there's a reasonably large band of interested bods here, the posts
    >> are marked as off topic, and you appear to be the only person who
    >> has a problem with it.
    >>

    > With all due respect, EMB, this is nz.comp. Marking a an off-topic
    > post as off-topic is simply stating the obvious. It has no place
    > here, no matter how interested a handful of mates may happen to be in
    > the subject and no matter how many other people bother to object.
    > Usenet happens to one of those places places where the rule of thumb
    > is NOT "It's all about me". Have some respect for the medium and for
    > your fellow users.
    >
    > And btw...cussing someone out just makes you look ignorant. Try coming
    > up a reasonable argument for why this newsgroup should become
    > nz.catchall and we can discuss it.

    Thats what nz.tech was made for TV etc.
    F1 is a TV programme :)
    I don't mind the F1 threads here myself, and if there are a bunch of regular
    posters participating in the thread its good traffic.

    Herb Garden, Sep 12, 2004
  6. Collector-NZ

    JohnO Guest

    "Patrick Bold" <> wrote in message
    > An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of this.
    > Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just email your
    > friends.
    >
    > "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > Dam Alonso dumped it in a trap, Button just not quite fast enough,
    > > Raikonen dropped an engine, Truli just did come to the party. All the
    > > same you have to hand it to The Red Team, each had a problem Baro with
    > > tyres and Schummy with a spin and they still get this sort of result,
    > > it says a lot about the team and the drivers.
    > > What happened to Montoya and at one stage I had visions of Sato
    > > tucking his balls under cover and having a go at at Schummy but alas
    > > no.

    Get stuffed you top-posting net-nanny.

    JohnO, Sep 12, 2004
  7. Collector-NZ

    Bret Guest

    Re: (OT) Off-topic means ignore it Patrick

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:51:11 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
    <> wrote:

    >"EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> Patrick Bold wrote:
    >>
    >>> An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of
    >>> this. Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just
    >>> email your friends.

    >> With all due respect Patrick, go take a flying fsck at yourself -
    >> there's a reasonably large band of interested bods here, the posts are
    >> marked as off topic, and you appear to be the only person who has a
    >> problem with it.
    >>

    >With all due respect, EMB, this is nz.comp. Marking a an off-topic post
    >as off-topic is simply stating the obvious. It has no place here, no
    >matter how interested a handful of mates may happen to be in the subject
    >and no matter how many other people bother to object. Usenet happens to
    >one of those places places where the rule of thumb is NOT "It's all
    >about me". Have some respect for the medium and for your fellow users.
    >
    >And btw...cussing someone out just makes you look ignorant. Try coming
    >up a reasonable argument for why this newsgroup should become
    >nz.catchall and we can discuss it.

    Just filter [OT] Patrick.

    Bret, Sep 12, 2004
  8. Re: (OT) Off-topic means take it somewhere else

    Patrick Bold wrote:
    > An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of
    > this. Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just
    > email your friends.

    Considering the amount of crap that is posted under the guise of nz.comp
    mate, what's the difference ?

    What's the difference between someone typing up in nz.comp about F1 and
    someone saying "stupid little boy you don't have a clue" 10 times a day ?

    I'd much rather see an OT header and decide to read it than wade thru
    mindless rants of a senile transvestite.

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 12, 2004
  9. Collector-NZ

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    > "Patrick Bold" <> wrote in message
    >> An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of
    >> this.
    >> Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just email
    >> your
    >> friends.

    > Get stuffed you top-posting net-nanny.

    If you're posting a reminder to someone that off-topic posts don't
    belong here, then you can bloody well post it wherever the heck you
    want. No one needed to read the OP's opinion on F1 to get the drift of
    what I was saying.

    Patrick Bold, Sep 12, 2004
  10. Re: (OT) Off-topic means ignore it Patrick

    In article <ci27rg$nhp$> in nz.comp on Mon, 13 Sep 2004
    07:28:34 +1200, EMB <> says...
    > Patrick Bold wrote:
    >
    > > An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of this.
    > > Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just email your
    > > friends.

    > With all due respect Patrick, go take a flying fsck at yourself -
    > there's a reasonably large band of interested bods here, the posts are
    > marked as off topic, and you appear to be the only person who has a
    > problem with it.

    I'm going to object as well.

    Some of the NZ groups are cluttered with large amounts of offtopic
    traffic. It means a lot of time wasted sifting through all the OT
    traffic.

    If you post in nz.general or nz.rec you might find a wider audience who
    don't all read nz.comp

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 12, 2004
  11. Collector-NZ

    Patrick Bold Guest

    Re: (OT) Off-topic means take it somewhere else

    "..Waylon Smithers.." <.>
    wrote in message news:ci2dv3$rgv$...
    > Patrick Bold wrote:
    >> An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of
    >> this. Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just
    >> email your friends.

    > Considering the amount of crap that is posted under the guise of
    > nz.comp
    > mate, what's the difference ?

    In terms of substance, there's no difference at all. But here at least
    it's a clear-cut abuse of a valued usenet convention, which is that no
    one gets to hijack a group for their own convenience. Everyone knows
    that. So why not draw a line?

    > What's the difference between someone typing up in nz.comp about F1
    > and
    > someone saying "stupid little boy you don't have a clue" 10 times a
    > day ?

    Again, there's no substantive difference in my view. But you or I can't
    do anything about that, because it's a matter of judgment. This is not:
    off-topic is off-topic. Everyone's entitled to do that once in a
    while -- but 4 times a day strikes me as being the sort of habit that
    should not be encouraged.

    > I'd much rather see an OT header and decide to read it than wade thru
    > mindless rants of a senile transvestite.

    Well, ok. But then you could say much the same about cross-posts and
    spam. Point is, users shouldn't be forced into making trade-offs like
    that.

    Patrick Bold, Sep 12, 2004
  12. Re: (OT) Off-topic means take it somewhere else

    > Well, ok. But then you could say much the same about cross-posts and
    > spam. Point is, users shouldn't be forced into making trade-offs like
    > that.

    Uh oh ! We're having a polite, exchanging of opinions here !

    This might be breaking the convention of nz.comp

    </joke>

    :)

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 12, 2004
  13. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Patrick Bold said the following on 13/09/2004 03:09:

    > An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of this.
    > Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just email your
    > friends.
    >
    > "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message

    Hey twerp, you might as well pack your bags and leave since we will all
    be back discussing F1 in a fortnight and in any weekend where there is
    an F1 GP held.

    We choose not to use NZ.GEN for this topic, because we dont have too and
    because it is populated by too many idiots like you.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 12, 2004
  14. Collector-NZ

    Chris Guest

    Collector-NZ <> wrote in news:2qj0npF1007dpU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Dam Alonso dumped it in a trap, Button just not quite fast enough,
    > Raikonen dropped an engine, Truli just did come to the party. All the
    > same you have to hand it to The Red Team, each had a problem Baro with
    > tyres and Schummy with a spin and they still get this sort of result, it
    > says a lot about the team and the drivers.
    > What happened to Montoya and at one stage I had visions of Sato tucking
    > his balls under cover and having a go at at Schummy but alas no.

    There are some good pics at the BBC http://tinyurl.com/63vpj - well there
    might be better ones else where but since there people complaining about
    this thread I though I'd post the link anyway. Much more interesting than
    a mu OS is better than yours kind of thread IMO

    Chris, Sep 12, 2004
  15. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <ci27rg$nhp$> in nz.comp on Mon, 13 Sep
    > 2004 07:28:34 +1200, EMB <> says...
    >> Patrick Bold wrote:
    >>
    >>> An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of
    >>> this. Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just
    >>> email your friends.

    >> With all due respect Patrick, go take a flying fsck at yourself -
    >> there's a reasonably large band of interested bods here, the posts
    >> are marked as off topic, and you appear to be the only person who
    >> has a problem with it.

    > I'm going to object as well.
    >
    > Some of the NZ groups are cluttered with large amounts of offtopic
    > traffic. It means a lot of time wasted sifting through all the OT
    > traffic.
    >
    > If you post in nz.general or nz.rec you might find a wider audience
    > who don't all read nz.comp

    I see your point but I don't want to talk to people I don't know about it.
    Im happy talking to my nz.comp 'friends', people I've known for a year or
    more and who's opinions I respect.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 12, 2004
  16. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > Again, there's no substantive difference in my view. But you or I
    > can't do anything about that, because it's a matter of judgment. This
    > is not: off-topic is off-topic. Everyone's entitled to do that once
    > in a
    > while -- but 4 times a day strikes me as being the sort of habit that
    > should not be encouraged.

    So we should put a mindless bit about telemetry or the awesome digital
    effects in each post. Maybe I should append it to my sig? Make it on-topic.
    One of the teams is sponsored by Compaq don't-you-know?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2004
  17. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:
    > Dam Alonso dumped it in a trap, Button just not quite fast enough,
    > Raikonen dropped an engine, Truli just did come to the party. All the
    > same you have to hand it to The Red Team, each had a problem Baro with
    > tyres and Schummy with a spin and they still get this sort of result,
    > it says a lot about the team and the drivers.

    It really does. I'm pleased to see Barrichello do so well, he's had to play
    second fiddle for so long people tend to forget how good he is.

    > What happened to Montoya and at one stage I had visions of Sato
    > tucking his balls under cover and having a go at at Schummy but alas
    > no.

    With the other guys a lot of it is the cars. I've been watching F1 for over
    a decade fairly religiously now and I can't recall a time when one
    manufacturer was so dominant for so long. I think that if some of those
    young chargers had a red car under them then things would get really
    interesting.

    As much as I respect the acomplishments of Ferrari and Schumy over recent
    seasons I hope the forth-coming reg changes hobble the red team, even if
    it's just for a while. It's only since Schumy joined them that they've been
    doing so well. Before that they hadn't had a championship win for 21 years.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2004
  18. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: (OT) Off-topic means take it somewhere else

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    <top posting fixed>

    > "Collector-NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> Dam Alonso dumped it in a trap, Button just not quite fast enough,
    >> Raikonen dropped an engine, Truli just did come to the party. All the
    >> same you have to hand it to The Red Team, each had a problem Baro
    >> with tyres and Schummy with a spin and they still get this sort of
    >> result, it says a lot about the team and the drivers.
    >> What happened to Montoya and at one stage I had visions of Sato
    >> tucking his balls under cover and having a go at at Schummy but alas
    >> no.

    > An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of
    > this. Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just
    > email your friends.

    No. This is fine thanks. Just ignore it if it bothers you.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2004
  19. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> Patrick Bold wrote:
    >>
    >>> An occasional off-topic post is fine. But you're making a habit of
    >>> this. Please find an appropriate newsgroup for this. Or else just
    >>> email your friends.

    >> With all due respect Patrick, go take a flying fsck at yourself -
    >> there's a reasonably large band of interested bods here, the posts
    >> are marked as off topic, and you appear to be the only person who
    >> has a problem with it.
    >>

    > With all due respect, EMB, this is nz.comp. Marking a an off-topic
    > post as off-topic is simply stating the obvious. It has no place
    > here, no matter how interested a handful of mates may happen to be in
    > the subject and no matter how many other people bother to object.
    > Usenet happens to one of those places places where the rule of thumb
    > is NOT "It's all about me".

    Exactly, it's not about one individual. There is a significant group of
    people here who are interested in this.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2004
  20. Collector-NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Herb Garden wrote:

    > Thats what nz.tech was made for TV etc.
    > F1 is a TV programme :)
    > I don't mind the F1 threads here myself, and if there are a bunch of
    > regular posters participating in the thread its good traffic.

    I agree. It's nz.comp regulars talking about F1. It's not like we've been
    invaded by a bunch of people posting about it. Ok, strictly speaking it's
    not kosher but rules were made to be stretched. And hey, it's only once a
    fortnight or so about 16 times a year.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2004