    http://www.f-secure.com/estore/uk/
    Until I noticed that they are charging 22% VAT.
    Surely VAT in the UK is 17.5% or has GB increased this on the QT?

    BIGEYE, Dec 14, 2004

  2. BIGEYE

    JohnT Guest

    Re: F-secure Antivirus Software - VAT?

    "BIGEYE" <> wrote in message
    news:41bec321$0$52986$...
    >I was going to bite the bullet and purchase f-secure antivirus from
    > http://www.f-secure.com/estore/uk/
    > Until I noticed that they are charging 22% VAT.
    > Surely VAT in the UK is 17.5% or has GB increased this on the QT?

    I think that it will be shipped from Germany. The VAT rate on that type of
    product in Germany is, presumably, 22%. If you have a product shipped from
    within the EU, you pay VAT at the Domestic rate of the Country from which you
    order.

    JohnT

    JohnT, Dec 14, 2004

  3. On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:40:34 -0000, "BIGEYE" <>
    wrote:

    >I was going to bite the bullet and purchase f-secure antivirus from
    >http://www.f-secure.com/estore/uk/
    >Until I noticed that they are charging 22% VAT.
    >Surely VAT in the UK is 17.5% or has GB increased this on the QT?

    If they're within the EU then I think you have to pay VAT at the rate
    applicable to _that_ country.
    --
    Interesting Xmas gifts: <http://www.awin1.com/tclick.php?id=405&mid=182> . <http://BizOrg.co.uk/shopping/>
    Locate your Mobile phone: <http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html>

    David Quinton, Dec 14, 2004
  4. BIGEYE

    Gin Guest

    why not buy from amazon in the UK ? £35.99 inc delivery

    Gin, Dec 14, 2004
  5. BIGEYE

    Buzby Guest

    Re: F-secure Antivirus Software - VAT?

    > Until I noticed that they are charging 22% VAT.
    > Surely VAT in the UK is 17.5% or has GB increased this on the QT?

    Get AVG anit virus from Grisoft.com - home use is free and pro use < USD$30
    for 2 years. It's as good as any of them and a lot less hassle than some!

    Buzby

    Buzby, Dec 14, 2004
  6. BIGEYE

    Irish Rover Guest

    Buzby wrote:
    >>Until I noticed that they are charging 22% VAT.
    >>Surely VAT in the UK is 17.5% or has GB increased this on the QT?

    > Get AVG anit virus from Grisoft.com - home use is free and pro use < USD$30
    > for 2 years. It's as good as any of them and a lot less hassle than some!
    >
    > Buzby

    I don't think its as good as some paid for services such as F-Secure
    though. I've not looked into it too much but I hear that tests don't
    rate AVG very high when compared to paid for products.

    --
    BARGAIN: NEC 3G mobile £11.99 P/M at:
    http://www.e2save.com/?money4me795158 (referal link)

    Get £5 for joining RPoints. http://tinyurl.com/4hchk (ref link)
    You can get huge cashback from online purchases, & click for easy cash.

    Irish Rover, Dec 14, 2004
  7. BIGEYE

    BIGEYE Guest

    Re: F-secure Antivirus Software - VAT?

    Indeed. F-secure came out tops in Feb's Computer Shopper AV test lab.

    BIGEYE, Dec 14, 2004
  8. BIGEYE

    Black Shuck Guest

    Re: F-secure Antivirus Software - VAT?

    On 14/12/2004 13:18 Buzby got up from the bar and shouted..:
    >>Until I noticed that they are charging 22% VAT.
    >>Surely VAT in the UK is 17.5% or has GB increased this on the QT?

    > Get AVG anit virus from Grisoft.com - home use is free and pro use < USD$30
    > for 2 years. It's as good as any of them and a lot less hassle than some!
    >
    > Buzby

    I disagree, AVG is slow and has a poor detection rate. If you must use
    a free virus scanner, try Avast, considerably better detection rate,
    still free (although you do have to register for free), less resource
    hungry, better featured, and does not look like the GUI was written by a
    2 year old...

    Paid for AV software, F-Secure is pretty darn good..

    --
    "This dog don't give a feck..."

    Black Shuck, Dec 14, 2004
  9. BIGEYE

    Duck ducking Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:44:06 +0000, Irish Rover <> wrote:

    >Buzby wrote:
    >>>Until I noticed that they are charging 22% VAT.
    >>>Surely VAT in the UK is 17.5% or has GB increased this on the QT?

    >> Get AVG anit virus from Grisoft.com - home use is free and pro use < USD$30
    >> for 2 years. It's as good as any of them and a lot less hassle than some!
    >>
    >> Buzby

    >I don't think its as good as some paid for services such as F-Secure
    >though. I've not looked into it too much but I hear that tests don't
    >rate AVG very high when compared to paid for products.

    Only really worry about one test, what happens here. Had no virus
    since starting to use AVG, had only one before so maybe that does not
    mean much but, found AVG to work well and without causing me any
    problems or slow downs.
    As for testing one lately sees too many that seem to start with the
    answer already worked out, the printed/typed word too often lies
    anyway but straight.

    Duck ducking, Dec 15, 2004
  10. Sebastian Kinnaird, Dec 15, 2004