    Costs??? Where from??? Worth it???

    Thanks

    TEX
    TEX, Feb 12, 2004

  2. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:42:45 +1300, TEX wrote:

    > What the "formal" qual that you have to have so that you can fix
    > electrical equipment??? The one that Woger doesn't have. :)

    Electrical serviceman's registration, or limited electrical registration,
    Part A (appliances and fixed wiring, 230V) , which have both had many name
    mutations over the years. (The latter is now "electrical service
    technician")

    > Just wondering what you have to get a proper formal qual for it, so that
    > you are legally allowed to do it for other ppl.
    > Costs??? Where from??? Worth it???

    A 1 week fulltime polytech course (or 9 weeks as an evening course), plus
    the paperwork which needs renewing every year and a 1/2 day refresher
    course every 2 years.

    Cost is a couple of hundred dollars all up and about the same to renew.

    http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/content/licence_registration.html

    Also www.ewr.govt.nz and http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 12, 2004

  3. TEX

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:42:45 +1300, TEX wrote:
    >

    >>What the "formal" qual that you have to have so that you can fix
    >>electrical equipment??? The one that Woger doesn't have. :)

    > Electrical serviceman's registration, or limited electrical registration,
    > Part A (appliances and fixed wiring, 230V) , which have both had many name
    > mutations over the years. (The latter is now "electrical service
    > technician")
    >

    >>Just wondering what you have to get a proper formal qual for it, so that
    >>you are legally allowed to do it for other ppl.
    >>Costs??? Where from??? Worth it???

    > A 1 week fulltime polytech course (or 9 weeks as an evening course), plus
    > the paperwork which needs renewing every year and a 1/2 day refresher
    > course every 2 years.
    >
    > Cost is a couple of hundred dollars all up and about the same to renew.
    >
    > http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/content/licence_registration.html
    >
    > Also www.ewr.govt.nz and http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/

    Has the requirement for 2 years industry experience been dropped?.
    Practicing licence costs $60 per year to maintain and the bi-annual
    refresher course was $160 for me 2 years ago. The course is almost a
    waste of time, always the same tired old collection of dangerous
    appliances, yes I know the regulations, yes I can test an appliance. The
    first aid course could be worth it, never know when you may need it.
    Roger_Nickel, Feb 12, 2004
  4. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:42:45 +1300, TEX <> wrote:

    >What the "formal" qual that you have to have so that you can fix
    >electrical equipment??? The one that Woger doesn't have. :)
    >
    >I have over years fixed things from tvs to playstations to all sort of
    >wierd and wonderful things that i have picked up off ppl. All just as
    >hobby. Most of the stuff ends up around the flat or given to mates who
    >need a video player or something (still have too many of those things)
    >for the exchange of a dozen beer :)
    >
    >Just wondering what you have to get a proper formal qual for it, so that
    >you are legally allowed to do it for other ppl.
    >Costs??? Where from??? Worth it???
    >

    >Thanks
    >
    >TEX

    http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/content/publications/info/info0301.html

    lists the requirements.

    The Act and Regulations can be found at

    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Feb 12, 2004
  5. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:34:45 +1300, Malcolm Moore
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:42:45 +1300, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    >>What the "formal" qual that you have to have so that you can fix
    >>electrical equipment??? The one that Woger doesn't have. :)
    >>
    >>I have over years fixed things from tvs to playstations to all sort of
    >>wierd and wonderful things that i have picked up off ppl. All just as
    >>hobby. Most of the stuff ends up around the flat or given to mates who
    >>need a video player or something (still have too many of those things)
    >>for the exchange of a dozen beer :)
    >>
    >>Just wondering what you have to get a proper formal qual for it, so that
    >>you are legally allowed to do it for other ppl.
    >>Costs??? Where from??? Worth it???
    >>

    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>TEX

    >http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/content/publications/info/info0301.html
    >
    >lists the requirements.
    >
    >The Act and Regulations can be found at
    >
    >http://www.legislation.govt.nz/

    I meant to mention that schedule 2 of the Electricity Regulations
    lists the practical and theoretical requirements.
    --
    Regards
    Malcolm.
    Malcolm Moore, Feb 12, 2004
  6. TEX

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Feb 12, 2004
  7. TEX

    Disco Stu Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > Has the requirement for 2 years industry experience been dropped?.
    > Practicing licence costs $60 per year to maintain and the bi-annual
    > refresher course was $160 for me 2 years ago. The course is almost a
    > waste of time, always the same tired old collection of dangerous
    > appliances, yes I know the regulations, yes I can test an appliance. The
    > first aid course could be worth it, never know when you may need it.

    Gotta say, it is mostly useless. Completley geared up for toaster
    repair, and nobody knows the answers to computer related questions.

    I've never been able to get a straight answer from anyone about whether
    you need to test a PC after you have worked on it. Everyone seems to
    have their own theory. To name a few...

    Yes, the act clearly says 'any repairs'.
    No for 'components', yes for powersupply
    No for anything.
    No unless it's medical equipment

    I even contacted the Commerce Comission about it. No response from them.
    Disco Stu, Feb 12, 2004
  8. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:26:32 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:42:45 +1300, TEX wrote:
    >
    >> What the "formal" qual that you have to have so that you can fix
    >> electrical equipment??? The one that Woger doesn't have. :)

    >Electrical serviceman's registration, or limited electrical registration,
    >Part A (appliances and fixed wiring, 230V) , which have both had many name
    >mutations over the years. (The latter is now "electrical service
    >technician")
    >
    >> Just wondering what you have to get a proper formal qual for it, so that
    >> you are legally allowed to do it for other ppl.
    >> Costs??? Where from??? Worth it???

    >A 1 week fulltime polytech course (or 9 weeks as an evening course), plus
    >the paperwork which needs renewing every year and a 1/2 day refresher
    >course every 2 years.
    >
    >Cost is a couple of hundred dollars all up and about the same to renew.
    >
    >http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/content/licence_registration.html
    >
    >Also www.ewr.govt.nz and http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/

    And Proof that you have done said work for 3 Years, ie a letter from a Firm
    that you have worked for.

    Plus the Fee for the registration + the Ongoing fee each year.
    Robin Wheeler, Feb 12, 2004
  9. TEX

    Greg Guest

    > Has the requirement for 2 years industry experience been dropped?.
    > Practicing licence costs $60 per year to maintain and the bi-annual
    > refresher course was $160 for me 2 years ago. The course is almost a
    > waste of time, always the same tired old collection of dangerous
    > appliances, yes I know the regulations, yes I can test an appliance. The
    > first aid course could be worth it, never know when you may need it.

    ever tried giving yourself CPR? Think about it, most electricians works
    by themselves and learning CRP would be a was for them should they ever
    need to use it!
    Greg, Feb 13, 2004
  10. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:14:24 +1300, Greg <> wrote:

    >> Has the requirement for 2 years industry experience been dropped?.
    >> Practicing licence costs $60 per year to maintain and the bi-annual
    >> refresher course was $160 for me 2 years ago. The course is almost a
    >> waste of time, always the same tired old collection of dangerous
    >> appliances, yes I know the regulations, yes I can test an appliance. The
    >> first aid course could be worth it, never know when you may need it.
    >>

    >ever tried giving yourself CPR? Think about it, most electricians works
    >by themselves and learning CRP would be a was for them should they ever
    >need to use it!

    It used to be a requirement that you had to work in pairs, I even contacted
    the Commerce commission regarding this, and they thought it was, and from
    memory its a UK law as well.

    But then again its Idiots that make these laws, Gov quangoes so these idiots
    can stay in a job..
    Robin Wheeler, Feb 13, 2004
  11. TEX

    joe_90 Guest

    Robin Wheeler wrote:
    > And Proof that you have done said work for 3 Years, ie a letter from a Firm
    > that you have worked for.

    Isn't that a catch-22 situation, or is there an industry recognised 3
    year apprenticeship to satisfy this requirement?
    joe_90, Feb 13, 2004
  12. TEX

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    joe_90 wrote:

    > Isn't that a catch-22 situation, or is there an industry recognised 3
    > year apprenticeship to satisfy this requirement?

    You're supposed to work under supervision under a "permit to assist"
    until you pass the test. There aren't many places where you can do that
    today.
    Roger_Nickel, Feb 13, 2004
  13. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:18:09 +1300, joe_90
    <joe_90_remove@nospam_zipmail.co.nz> wrote:

    >Robin Wheeler wrote:
    >> And Proof that you have done said work for 3 Years, ie a letter from a Firm
    >> that you have worked for.

    >Isn't that a catch-22 situation, or is there an industry recognised 3
    >year apprenticeship to satisfy this requirement?

    Not it use to be a Permit to assist but that has now been dropped I think..

    I managed to get mine from Databank..
    Robin Wheeler, Feb 13, 2004
  14. TEX

    joe_90 Guest

    Thanks for the replies.

    It sounds like the usual bureaucratic nightmare.
    joe_90, Feb 13, 2004
  15. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:23:56 +1300, Robin Wheeler wrote:

    > And Proof that you have done said work for 3 Years, ie a letter from a Firm
    > that you have worked for.

    IIRC That's for the full sparky ticket, not the serviceman's one.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 14, 2004
  16. TEX

    Frank Osborn Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:27:36 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:23:56 +1300, Robin Wheeler wrote:
    >
    >> And Proof that you have done said work for 3 Years, ie a letter from a Firm
    >> that you have worked for.

    >IIRC That's for the full sparky ticket, not the serviceman's one.

    No not in my case..
    Frank Osborn, Feb 14, 2004