    carry by counting the strands and measuring their diameter with a
    micrometer?

    THANX

    Watcher of the Skies, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Watcher of the Skies

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Re: Electrical question

    Errrrr...erm... Watcher of the Skies said:

    > Can anyone give me the formula for calculating the Max AMPAGE a cable can
    > carry by counting the strands and measuring their diameter with a
    > micrometer?
    >
    > THANX

    I'm sure that someone could, but they might ask if it's copper wire or steel.

    Brian H¹©, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Watcher of the Skies

    Buffalo Guest

    Re: Electrical question

    The amt of amperage a wire can carry usually also depends on its insulation
    and its length.A short bare wire in free air can carry a lot.
    For instance, a #12awg wire with poor temp insulation in a pipe is usually
    only good to about 20 amps while a bare #12 awg wire in free air can carry
    50amps, more or less. Stranded wire can usually carry more current than a
    solid wire of the same awg rating because of its increased surface area.
    Sorry, I know I didn't answer your question.
    This link will relate wire diameter to awg.
    http://www.hardwarebook.net/table/AWG.html

    Buffalo, Jun 25, 2003
  4. Watcher of the Skies

    Kenny Guest

    Re: Electrical question

    I did this as part of BTEC but can't remember, have a look here:
    http://www.epanorama.net/documents/wiring/wire_resistance.html

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jun 25, 2003
  5. Watcher of the Skies

    John Guest

    Re: Electrical question

    Depends whether copper or aluminium, whether armoured, unarmoured, whether
    run in air or underground, ambient temp?., how many cables run together.

    Determine xsection area of each strand multiply by no. of strands in core to
    find sq.mm, then refer to IEE Wiring regulations to obtain current rating
    for that size.

    J.

    John, Jun 25, 2003
  6. Re: Electrical question

    Ah - somebody who knows what I am talking about & doesn't take the piss out
    of my spelling.
    Thanks
    Thank to all the rest who tried
    Hi Bear Nation gets the "killfile" for his contribution.

    Watcher of the Skies, Jun 26, 2003