OT: e-pox free news reader update

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by kpg, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. kpg

    kpg Guest

    After building an OE-like reader and fighting
    with the user interface I had an epiphany.
    Why re-invent the wheel? Instead of a reader
    I'm writing a server that sits between the user
    and the news group. Any newsreader can be used
    with it by simply entering localhost instead of
    news.microsoft.com (or whatever). The newsreader
    will talk to the local server, which in turn relays
    it to the remote newsgroup. It's a much simpler
    and effective solution. (I'm using it now!)

    The challenge is going to be the filter. Spam
    killers have the same problem, that is, identifying
    what is desirable and what is not. Fortunately,
    it's an easy matter to zap anything with a
    ***YAWN*** in it. Thanks e-pox, for being so
    damn repetitive. What a maroon.

    kpg

    kpg, Apr 8, 2004

  2. kpg

    Kat Guest

    I'm first in line.

    --
    Kat FORMER MCNGP #29

    /* Get the facts first. You can distort them later. */

    Kat, Apr 8, 2004

  3. kpg

    Neil Guest

    Kat <> wrote in news:4075ce00$:

    > I'm first in line.
    >
    > kpg wrote:
    >
    >> After building an OE-like reader and fighting
    >> with the user interface I had an epiphany.
    >> Why re-invent the wheel? Instead of a reader
    >> I'm writing a server that sits between the user
    >> and the news group. Any newsreader can be used
    >> with it by simply entering localhost instead of
    >> news.microsoft.com (or whatever). The newsreader
    >> will talk to the local server, which in turn relays
    >> it to the remote newsgroup. It's a much simpler
    >> and effective solution. (I'm using it now!)
    >>
    >> The challenge is going to be the filter. Spam
    >> killers have the same problem, that is, identifying
    >> what is desirable and what is not. Fortunately,
    >> it's an easy matter to zap anything with a
    >> ***YAWN*** in it. Thanks e-pox, for being so
    >> damn repetitive. What a maroon.
    >>
    >> kpg

    next..

    --
    Neil

    Neil, Apr 8, 2004
  4. kpg

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in news:#N#YdObHEHA.2612
    @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

    > After building an OE-like reader and fighting
    > with the user interface I had an epiphany.
    > Why re-invent the wheel? Instead of a reader
    > I'm writing a server that sits between the user
    > and the news group. Any newsreader can be used
    > with it by simply entering localhost instead of
    > news.microsoft.com (or whatever). The newsreader
    > will talk to the local server, which in turn relays
    > it to the remote newsgroup. It's a much simpler
    > and effective solution. (I'm using it now!)
    >
    > The challenge is going to be the filter. Spam
    > killers have the same problem, that is, identifying
    > what is desirable and what is not. Fortunately,
    > it's an easy matter to zap anything with a
    > ***YAWN*** in it. Thanks e-pox, for being so
    > damn repetitive. What a maroon.
    >
    > kpg

    isn't that proxy?

    check this site if you havent already. might give you soem ideas.

    http://www.proxyblind.org/

    :)

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    -------------------------------

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 8, 2004
  5. kpg

    eddierox Guest

    THE MIGHTY EDDIEROX

    IT LOOKS LIKE TECH GODDESS F**K'D YOU UP PRETTY GOOD !!!

    SHE MAKES A COUPLE OF STATEMENTS AND IT TAKES 30-40+
    POSTS FROM THE FAT FAGBOYS TO STILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

    IS THEIR A PROGRAM TO DISINVENT YOUR BRAND OF FAT?

    WHAT WILL THE NEW PROGRAM BE CALLED?

    EPIPHANAL FAT FAGBOYS NEWSGROUP INC. ???

    BEST YOU BLEW YOUR BRAINS OUT INSTEAD OF WASTING ALL
    THOSE TREES FOR YOUR MOUNTAIN OF TOILET PAPER!!!
    EASY...NOT A REAL CHALLENGE!!!!

    MAROON????
    WHAT DID YOU DO, WRITE A NEW PROGRAM FOR HOOK'D ON
    PHONICS???

    BREAK OUT THE kpg JELLY...YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT WHEN BRAT
    COMES ON-LINE !!!!

    OK READY???

    OK ARE YOU REALLY READY????

    GET READY FOR THE MIGHTY EDDIEROX EDDIE...

    OK HERE IT COMES...

    READY?????

    ***YAWN***

    eddierox, Apr 8, 2004
  6. kpg

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Re: e-pox free news reader update

    "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > After building an OE-like reader and fighting
    > with the user interface I had an epiphany.
    > Why re-invent the wheel? Instead of a reader
    > I'm writing a server that sits between the user
    > and the news group. Any newsreader can be used
    > with it by simply entering localhost instead of
    > news.microsoft.com (or whatever). The newsreader
    > will talk to the local server, which in turn relays
    > it to the remote newsgroup. It's a much simpler
    > and effective solution. (I'm using it now!)

    Haven't you now just created a proxy server of sorts?

    > The challenge is going to be the filter.

    That's why the mighty kpg is working on it.

    > What a maroon.

    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 9, 2004
  7. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Yes, it's a proxy server. This one won't shield the
    identity of the end user; it's just a convenient way to
    get in between the local and remote hosts.

    Progress is good. I don't want to replicate any
    functionality already offered by oe so I'm not
    implementing the *From: contains* or *Subject: contains*
    rules. What I will have is the inverse of that,
    *From: does not contain* or *Subject: does not contain*
    (not because it's particularly useful, but it is fun.)

    Additionally (and more to the point) I will extend oe's
    rules by allowing them to be applied to the message body.
    I will have contains, does not contain, and mostly uppercase.
    correct the case, or modify the message either in part on in
    whole.

    For example, assume you set a rule: Message Body Contains
    ***YAWN***. (Now why would we do that?) We can zap
    the message, or (even better I think) replace the message with
    a new one, like:

    I'm sorry I'm such an idiot, please ignore me.

    What great fun!

    A beta version will be available soon (once I finalize
    negotiations with all those spyware vendors that want
    in the program).

    kpg

    kpg, Apr 9, 2004
  8. kpg

    JaR Guest

    kpg opined, On 4/9/04 1:21 PM:

    > What great fun!
    >
    > A beta version will be available soon (once I finalize
    > negotiations with all those spyware vendors that want
    > in the program).
    >
    > kpg

    Can't wait!

    JaR