    Any suggestions are appreciated. Except for the 'clean out your ears' and
    'see an audiologist' suggestions ... I have good hearing :p

    Rider

    Rider, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Rider

    SteveM Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in
    news:bvmq13$5ul$:

    > Does anyone else have real truoble getting the sound levels right when
    > viewing DVD's on their TV, or even the PC?
    >
    > If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound
    > effects kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the
    > neighbourhood doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out
    > the speech clearly.
    >
    > Any suggestions are appreciated. Except for the 'clean out your ears'
    > and 'see an audiologist' suggestions ... I have good hearing :p
    >
    > Rider

    The solution depends on how your DVD player is connected (audio wise):

    If it is just stereo RCA leads off the back of the DVD player then:
    Depending on your model of player, make sure you down-mix the audio
    out of those connectors to Dolby Prologic (or just stero).
    If your player has 5.1 line outs then the dialog may be going out
    of the centre channel connector.

    However probably you are just experiencing the large dynamic range
    that DVD sound offers.
    There may be an option on the DVD player to compess the dynamic
    range. Maybe something like quiet, soft, etc (It changes from brand
    to brand)

    If it is connected to a DD or DTS 5.1 AMP through Coax or Optical
    connectors then the compression option should be found on the amps
    setup menu somewhere.

    Hope this helps

    SteveM

    SteveM, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    > "Rider" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Does anyone else have real truoble getting the sound levels right when
    > > viewing DVD's on their TV, or even the PC?
    > >
    > > If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound
    > > effects kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the
    > > neighbourhood doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out
    > > the speech clearly.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions are appreciated. Except for the 'clean out your ears'
    > > and 'see an audiologist' suggestions ... I have good hearing :p
    > >
    > > Rider
    > >

    > The solution depends on how your DVD player is connected (audio wise):
    >
    > If it is just stereo RCA leads off the back of the DVD player then:
    > Depending on your model of player, make sure you down-mix the audio
    > out of those connectors to Dolby Prologic (or just stero).
    > If your player has 5.1 line outs then the dialog may be going out
    > of the centre channel connector.
    >
    > However probably you are just experiencing the large dynamic range
    > that DVD sound offers.
    > There may be an option on the DVD player to compess the dynamic
    > range. Maybe something like quiet, soft, etc (It changes from brand
    > to brand)
    >
    > If it is connected to a DD or DTS 5.1 AMP through Coax or Optical
    > connectors then the compression option should be found on the amps
    > setup menu somewhere.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > SteveM

    Cheers

    Its just RCA plugs for left and right. Have set the player to plain stereo
    .... still too loud on the sound effects. Tried changing it to 5.1 but then I
    got no sound LOL
    Its not just me either, my better half hates this also.

    Rider

    Rider, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Rider

    XPD Guest

    Re: DVD Sound Levels

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone else have real truoble getting the sound levels right when
    > viewing DVD's on their TV, or even the PC?
    >
    > If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound

    effects
    > kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the neighbourhood
    > doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out the speech

    clearly.

    Think this is due to DTS/5.1 encoding... u notice it on "certain" divx
    files as well ;)
    No easy way around it...... Ive got 3 devices in the house capable of
    playing DVDs, and all have the same prob, even if the DVD is 2 channel
    stereo only :)

    XPD, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Rider

    Rider Guest

    Re: DVD Sound Levels

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone else have real truoble getting the sound levels right when
    > > viewing DVD's on their TV, or even the PC?
    > >
    > > If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound

    > effects
    > > kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the

    neighbourhood
    > > doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out the speech

    > clearly.
    >
    > Think this is due to DTS/5.1 encoding... u notice it on "certain" divx
    > files as well ;)
    > No easy way around it...... Ive got 3 devices in the house capable of
    > playing DVDs, and all have the same prob, even if the DVD is 2 channel
    > stereo only :)

    *sighs* I thought this might be the case, back to vhs for me LOL

    Rider, Feb 3, 2004
  6. SteveM wrote:
    > "Rider" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Does anyone else have real truoble getting the sound levels right
    >> when viewing DVD's on their TV, or even the PC?
    >>
    >> If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound
    >> effects kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the
    >> neighbourhood doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out
    >> the speech clearly.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions are appreciated. Except for the 'clean out your ears'
    >> and 'see an audiologist' suggestions ... I have good hearing :p
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > The solution depends on how your DVD player is connected (audio wise):
    >
    > If it is just stereo RCA leads off the back of the DVD player then:
    > Depending on your model of player, make sure you down-mix the
    > audio out of those connectors to Dolby Prologic (or just stero).
    > If your player has 5.1 line outs then the dialog may be going out
    > of the centre channel connector.
    >
    > However probably you are just experiencing the large dynamic range
    > that DVD sound offers.
    > There may be an option on the DVD player to compess the dynamic
    > range. Maybe something like quiet, soft, etc (It changes from brand
    > to brand)

    ----------------snip--------------------------

    My Pioneer DSP has this sort of compression called "midnight mode"

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Rider

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:29:20 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone else have real truoble getting the sound levels right when
    >viewing DVD's on their TV, or even the PC?
    >
    >If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound effects
    >kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the neighbourhood
    >doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out the speech clearly.
    >
    >Any suggestions are appreciated. Except for the 'clean out your ears' and
    >'see an audiologist' suggestions ... I have good hearing :p
    >
    >Rider

    Get smaller speakers that are physically limited in regard to maximum
    sound volumes? The sound from big speakers carries further.

    I listen to DVDs with small but very dynamic speakers, only 10 x 10 x
    15cm with 7cm woofers. They are heavy with large magnets and can
    produce an impressive sound level (with a grunty amp) when right in
    front of them, even with war films, but the sound doesn't carry far
    outside. I was pretty impressed with what they did for the artillery
    barage in "A Bridge Too Far".

    GraB, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:29:20 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone else have real truoble getting the sound levels right when
    > >viewing DVD's on their TV, or even the PC?
    > >
    > >If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound

    effects
    > >kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the

    neighbourhood
    > >doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out the speech

    clearly.

    > >Any suggestions are appreciated. Except for the 'clean out your ears' and
    > >'see an audiologist' suggestions ... I have good hearing :p
    > >
    > >Rider
    > >

    > Get smaller speakers that are physically limited in regard to maximum
    > sound volumes? The sound from big speakers carries further.
    >
    > I listen to DVDs with small but very dynamic speakers, only 10 x 10 x
    > 15cm with 7cm woofers. They are heavy with large magnets and can
    > produce an impressive sound level (with a grunty amp) when right in
    > front of them, even with war films, but the sound doesn't carry far
    > outside. I was pretty impressed with what they did for the artillery
    > barage in "A Bridge Too Far".

    I don't really want to pull apart my tv LOL

    Rider, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Rider

    Craig Shore Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone else have real truoble getting the sound levels right when
    >viewing DVD's on their TV, or even the PC?
    >
    >If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound effects
    >kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the neighbourhood
    >doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out the speech clearly.
    >
    >Any suggestions are appreciated. Except for the 'clean out your ears' and
    >'see an audiologist' suggestions ... I have good hearing :p

    It's just the dynamic range of the sound. Thesedays most recorded
    audio is quite compressed. Movies on DVD aren't. What you are hearing
    is the way they recorded it. It's like that in a movie theatre, it
    gives it more impact when they want it to.

    Craig Shore, Feb 3, 2004
  10. Rider

    ac Guest

    In article <bvmq13$5ul$>,
    says...
    > Does anyone else have real truoble getting the sound levels right when
    > viewing DVD's on their TV, or even the PC?
    >
    > If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound effects
    > kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the neighbourhood
    > doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out the speech clearly.
    >
    > Any suggestions are appreciated. Except for the 'clean out your ears' and
    > 'see an audiologist' suggestions ... I have good hearing :p
    >
    > Rider

    Heh, all you need to do is train your neighbours ;)
    You are hearing the sound as the Director intended - blame them!

    You will just have to man your remote or stick the sound through some
    sort of mixing equipment.

    Having a good quality center speakers (not sbub) for 5.1 sound can help
    with the dialogue.

    ac, Feb 3, 2004
  11. Rider

    Bok Guest

    Rider wrote:

    > If I have the volume set so I can hear the dialogue, once the sound effects
    > kickin I get absolutely blasted. Turn down the volume so the neighbourhood
    > doesnt hear what I'm watching, and now I can't make out the speech clearly.

    I have noticed the relative levels of sound effects versus dialogue vary
    greatly between movie sound tracks. I didn't have much trouble setting
    up our HT system for acceptable levels to accomodate the range of
    different types of DVD movies (and music videos) various members of the
    family view. It certainly wasn't right straight 'out of the box' though.

    You didn't tell us what sort of setup you have so I'll assume some form
    of DD / DTS decoding with a 5.1 speaker system.

    Are you using some form of HT amp/receiver and are the speakers
    correctly matched? When the dialogue, which should mostly come from the
    center speaker is at an acceptable level are you mainly being blasted
    from the sub or from the surrounds (front or rear)?

    If you have an HT amp, you should be able to adjust the relative power
    levels to each speaker up or down in 1dB increments to compensate for
    speaker sensitivity mismatches and the proximity of each speaker to your
    listening postion in the room. You should be able to adjust the level on
    an active sub up or down [if that's relevant to you].

    If you don't have an HT amp or it doesn't allow you to adjust speaker
    levels, then another option is to replace you *center* speaker with one
    that is more efficient (higher sensitivity) than the surrounds. Look at
    the speaker sensitivity rating specified in dB SPL @ 1W @ 1 metre. A
    relative increase in sensitivity of a few dB will make a lot of
    difference to the problem you describe. However, such a solution won't
    neccearily do much for the overall quality of the system. In an HT
    system, the center speaker is the most critical and ideally it should be
    matched (in timbre) to the front surrounds.

    Bok, Feb 3, 2004