    I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my VCR, to
    record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs, avi, wmv and
    rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

    Russell, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Russell

    Codswallop Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:58:51 GMT, Russell wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my VCR,
    > to record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs, avi, wmv
    > and rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

    Sounds like you need a PC.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Russell

    Codswallop Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:29:55 GMT, Codswallop wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >> I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my
    >> VCR, to record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs,
    >> avi, wmv and rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

    > Sounds like you need a PC.

    Or maybe a modded X-Box with Linux...

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Russell

    Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:58:51 -0500, "Russell" <>
    wrote:

    >I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my VCR, to
    >record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs, avi, wmv and
    >rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

    One with Jesus inside.

    , Nov 29, 2003
  5. Russell

    someone Guest

    On 28 Nov 2003 22:44:50 GMT, Codswallop <> posted:

    >On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:29:55 GMT, Codswallop wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    >>> I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my
    >>> VCR, to record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs,
    >>> avi, wmv and rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

    >> Sounds like you need a PC.

    >Or maybe a modded X-Box with Linux...

    I've got a modded xbox. it can play all regions ntsc uc, ntsc j and pal. I
    heard that you can copy the whole game into the hard disk, but can't seem
    to find the option to do so.

    someone, Nov 29, 2003
  6. Russell

    Codswallop Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:31:22 GMT, someone wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >>> Sounds like you need a PC.

    >>Or maybe a modded X-Box with Linux...

    > I've got a modded xbox. it can play all regions ntsc uc, ntsc j and
    > pal. I heard that you can copy the whole game into the hard disk, but
    > can't seem to find the option to do so.

    When I said "modded" to the original poster, I meant that they should
    remove the DVD-ROM drive, and replace it with a DVD-RW drive. Then,
    they could install Linux and go from there. I'm sure someone has
    already done it...

    Maybe you could do a search on Google to find out how to copy X-Box
    games.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Nov 29, 2003
  7. Russell

    Russell Guest

    maybe I should have asked . . .

    How can I change mpegs, avi, wmv and rm's into a DVD playable format ? and
    can I burn them using my computers CD burner ?

    Russell, Nov 29, 2003
  8. Russell

    Bill Guest

    Re: maybe I should have asked . . .

    If you have the time to download it, Nero has a fully functional demo (good
    through the end of December) of a new (and very extensive) software suite
    called "Nero 6 Ultra Edition."

    http://www.nero.com/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

    You'll need a DVD-RW drive to burn a true DVD. The Nero software will allow
    you make both MPEG-1 Video CDs and MPEG-2 Super Video CDs though.

    Bill, Nov 29, 2003
  9. Russell

    CAM Guest

    Re: maybe I should have asked . . .

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 05:43:32 -0500, "Russell" <>
    wrote:

    >How can I change mpegs, avi, wmv and rm's into a DVD playable format ? and
    >can I burn them using my computers CD burner ?

    There are converter programs to get it to avi then you burn it all to
    svcd fo rcd media to play back in dvd players.
    www.vcdhelp.com

    CAM, Nov 29, 2003