    the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
    TIA
    S.Smith

    S. Smith, Jun 19, 2008

  2. S. Smith

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01>, S. Smith
    <> scribeth thus
    >I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb. 09.
    >I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing the
    >DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
    >nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
    >antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
    >with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
    >transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
    >sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is lost.
    >The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the reception
    >on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
    >reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
    >the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
    >TIA
    >S.Smith

    Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
    posted to a public website would be of use...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jun 19, 2008

  3. S. Smith

    Paul Guest

    S. Smith wrote:
    > I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb. 09.
    > I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing the
    > DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
    > nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
    > antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
    > with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
    > transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
    > sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is lost.
    > The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the reception
    > on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
    > reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
    > the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
    > TIA
    > S.Smith

    This article...

    http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/01/30/ota-hd-demystified/

    mentions this site...

    http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

    so you can do a bit of planning. Maybe you can figure out where
    the transmitters are located, and their distance from you ?

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 19, 2008
  4. S. Smith

    S. Smith Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01>, S. Smith
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
    >>09.
    >>I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing
    >>the
    >>DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
    >>nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
    >>antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
    >>with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
    >>transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
    >>sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is
    >>lost.
    >>The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the
    >>reception
    >>on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
    >>reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
    >>the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
    >>TIA
    >>S.Smith
    >>

    > Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
    > posted to a public website would be of use...
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is located
    outside on top of house.

    S. Smith, Jun 19, 2008
  5. S. Smith

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <9Pw6k.27950$8q2.1771@trnddc02>, S. Smith
    <> scribeth thus

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01>, S. Smith
    >> <> scribeth thus
    >>>I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
    >>>09.
    >>>I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing
    >>>the
    >>>DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
    >>>nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
    >>>antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
    >>>with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
    >>>transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
    >>>sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is
    >>>lost.
    >>>The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the
    >>>reception
    >>>on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
    >>>reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
    >>>the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
    >>>TIA
    >>>S.Smith
    >>>

    >> Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
    >> posted to a public website would be of use...
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer

    >We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is located
    >outside on top of house.

    Ummm.. Thats the USofA Dallas then?...

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jun 19, 2008
  6. S. Smith

    S. Smith Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <9Pw6k.27950$8q2.1771@trnddc02>, S. Smith
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>
    >>"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01>, S. Smith
    >>> <> scribeth thus
    >>>>

    >>> Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
    >>> posted to a public website would be of use...
    >>> --
    >>> Tony Sayer

    >>We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is located
    >>outside on top of house.
    >>

    > Ummm.. Thats the USofA Dallas then?...
    >
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    Yuppers.

    S. Smith, Jun 19, 2008
  7. S. Smith

    S. Smith Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:g3e4ni$lc8$...
    > S. Smith wrote:
    >> I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
    >> 09. I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of
    >> purchasing the DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are
    >> Sanyo and very nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the
    >> rooms that had 13" antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there
    >> will be no problems with the switch over. The new TV's receive both
    >> Analog and Digital transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the
    >> Digital channels sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes
    >> the signal is lost. The interference does not occur with the Analog
    >> channels, but the reception on those is not as clear as the Digital
    >> channels. I am wondering if the reception of Digital could be related to
    >> our outside antena or maybe is it the area we live..DFW with maybe poor
    >> transmission?
    >> TIA
    >> S.Smith

    > This article...
    >
    > http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/01/30/ota-hd-demystified/
    >
    > mentions this site...
    >
    > http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
    >
    > so you can do a bit of planning. Maybe you can figure out where
    > the transmitters are located, and their distance from you ?
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks...that is something I had not thought about.
    S.

    S. Smith, Jun 20, 2008
  8. S. Smith

    Hp Guest

    tony sayer wrote:

    > In article ?9Pw6k.27950$8q2.1771@trnddc02?, S. Smith
    > ?? scribeth thus
    > ?
    > ?"tony sayer" ?? wrote in message
    > ?news:...
    > ?? In article ?iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01?, S. Smith
    > ?? ?? scribeth thus
    > ???I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
    > ???09.
    > ???I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing
    > ???the
    > ???DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
    > ???nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
    > ???antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
    > ???with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
    > ???transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
    > ???sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is
    > ???lost.
    > ???The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the
    > ???reception
    > ???on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
    > ???reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
    > ???the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
    > ???TIA
    > ???S.Smith
    > ???
    > ???
    > ?? Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
    > ?? posted to a public website would be of use...
    > ?? --
    > ?? Tony Sayer
    > ?We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is located
    > ?outside on top of house.
    > ?
    > ?
    > Ummm.. Thats the USofA Dallas then?...
    >
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    ALSO, you might explore antenna designs, if your outside unit was for analog
    only, how is it rated for tomorrows digital ???

    Hp, Jun 20, 2008
  9. S. Smith

    Neil Green Guest

    "S. Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I am not sure where to post my question about the TV
    >change over in Feb. 09. I know there are alot of
    >smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing the
    >DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's.
    >They are Sanyo and very nice with speakers on the
    >sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
    >antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there
    >will be no problems with the switch over. The new
    >TV's receive both Analog and Digital transmissions.
    >I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
    >sometime have interference and show pixels and
    >sometimes the signal is lost. The interference does
    >not occur with the Analog channels, but the reception
    >on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I
    >am wondering if the reception of Digital could be
    >related to our outside antena or maybe is it the area
    >we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
    > TIA
    > S.Smith

    If your antenna was receiving analogue signals clearly
    then it should be fine for digital.
    Drop outs and some pixellation do occur more
    frequently with digital, and the frequency of these
    can be due to a number of things.
    Some TV stations have a more consistent broadcast
    signal, the reception can be poorer in some areas, it
    can be effected by the digital decoder, the cabling in
    the house, local factors such as power lines etc.
    The occasional pixellation is to be expected, this is
    the result of a temporary interruption to the signal,
    but a complete loss of signal is something you should
    investigate further.

    Neil Green, Jun 20, 2008
  10. S. Smith

    S. Smith Guest

    "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > "S. Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
    >>09. I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of
    >>purchasing the DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are
    >>Sanyo and very nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the
    >>rooms that had 13" antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there
    >>will be no problems with the switch over. The new TV's receive both
    >>Analog and Digital transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the
    >>Digital channels sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes
    >>the signal is lost. The interference does not occur with the Analog
    >>channels, but the reception on those is not as clear as the Digital
    >>channels. I am wondering if the reception of Digital could be related to
    >>our outside antena or maybe is it the area we live..DFW with maybe poor
    >>transmission?
    >> TIA
    >> S.Smith

    > If your antenna was receiving analogue signals clearly then it should be
    > fine for digital.
    > Drop outs and some pixellation do occur more frequently with digital, and
    > the frequency of these can be due to a number of things.
    > Some TV stations have a more consistent broadcast signal, the reception
    > can be poorer in some areas, it can be effected by the digital decoder,
    > the cabling in the house, local factors such as power lines etc.
    > The occasional pixellation is to be expected, this is the result of a
    > temporary interruption to the signal, but a complete loss of signal is
    > something you should investigate further.

    Neil, thank you...lots of good information.
    S.

    S. Smith, Jun 20, 2008
  11. S. Smith

    S. Smith Guest

    "Hp" <> wrote in message news:...

    > tony sayer wrote:
    >
    >> In article ?9Pw6k.27950$8q2.1771@trnddc02?, S. Smith
    >> ?? scribeth thus
    >> ?
    >> ?"tony sayer" ?? wrote in message
    >> ?news:...
    >> ?? In article ?iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01?, S. Smith
    >> ?? ?? scribeth thus
    >> ???I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in
    >> Feb.
    >> ???09.
    >> ???I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of
    >> purchasing
    >> ???the
    >> ???DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and
    >> very
    >> ???nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had
    >> 13"
    >> ???antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no
    >> problems
    >> ???with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
    >> ???transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
    >> ???sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is
    >> ???lost.
    >> ???The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the
    >> ???reception
    >> ???on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if
    >> the
    >> ???reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe
    >> is it
    >> ???the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
    >> ???TIA
    >> ???S.Smith
    >> ???
    >> ???
    >> ?? Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
    >> ?? posted to a public website would be of use...
    >> ?? --
    >> ?? Tony Sayer
    >> ?We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is
    >> located
    >> ?outside on top of house.
    >> ?
    >> ?
    >> Ummm.. Thats the USofA Dallas then?...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer

    > ALSO, you might explore antenna designs, if your outside unit was for
    > analog
    > only, how is it rated for tomorrows digital ???

    It seems okay for the most part, except for the things I mentioned. I think
    I can live with it as the TV's are not in the main viewing rooms.
    Thanks.
    S.

    S. Smith, Jun 20, 2008
  12. S. Smith

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <Hhy6k.74$fi.73@trnddc03>, S. Smith <>
    scribeth thus

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <9Pw6k.27950$8q2.1771@trnddc02>, S. Smith
    >> <> scribeth thus
    >>>
    >>>"tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    >>>We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is located
    >>>outside on top of house.
    >>>

    >> Ummm.. Thats the USofA Dallas then?...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer

    >Yuppers.

    Ah!, sorry about that then. I'm in 'lil ole England..

    Isn't there a Dallas somewhere in Scotland?..

    All sounds like a poor aerial signal somewhere..
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jun 20, 2008