OT: DECT phone with really good range - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Roger Baker, Apr 8, 2007.

  1. Roger Baker

    Roger Baker Guest

    Sorry to be somewhat OT but I know many of you use DECT phones plugged
    into the ATA. I have bought a new house (for me) and it has quite a
    lot of garden around it.

    I have a BT Freestyle 2200 system and also a Philips 1222 system. For
    reasons that I won't go into I need to leave the existing systems
    where they are. Under the same conditions I find the Philips has a
    better range than the BT system, which cuts out well before the
    Philips. I know these things are supposed to have a maximum power
    output but some seem to work better than others. I need to be able to
    cover the whole garden, which the Philips almost does.

    Looking for recommendations for a system to plug into my ATA that
    gives really good range. Maybe I should buy another Philips :)

    Thanks,

    Roger.

    Roger Baker, Apr 8, 2007

  2. Roger Baker

    Nick Guest

    Re: DECT phone with really good range - any recommendations?

    "Roger Baker" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry to be somewhat OT but I know many of you use DECT phones plugged
    > into the ATA. I have bought a new house (for me) and it has quite a
    > lot of garden around it.
    >
    > I have a BT Freestyle 2200 system and also a Philips 1222 system. For
    > reasons that I won't go into I need to leave the existing systems
    > where they are. Under the same conditions I find the Philips has a
    > better range than the BT system, which cuts out well before the
    > Philips. I know these things are supposed to have a maximum power
    > output but some seem to work better than others. I need to be able to
    > cover the whole garden, which the Philips almost does.
    >
    > Looking for recommendations for a system to plug into my ATA that
    > gives really good range. Maybe I should buy another Philips :)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Roger.

    You could experiment by placing the base unit in different positions
    around the house. If possible, you could try an upstairs room or even
    the loft. Height and free space are the most essential criteria.

    Nick, Apr 8, 2007

  3. Roger Baker

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Re: DECT phone with really good range - any recommendations?

    "Nick" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > You could experiment by placing the base unit in
    > different positions around the house. If possible, you
    > could try an upstairs room or even the loft. Height and
    > free space are the most essential criteria.

    Or you could get a repeater. Sited in the right place it might cover areas
    the main base doesn't. Repeaters only work with certain types of phone and
    they're not cheap, but if you absolutely must have the coverage it may be
    an option worth considering.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 8, 2007
  4. Roger Baker

    Graham Guest

    Re: DECT phone with really good range - any recommendations?

    ..

    > You could experiment by placing the base unit in different positions
    > around the house. If possible, you could try an upstairs room or even
    > the loft. Height and free space are the most essential criteria.

    I am sure when I did a course on a Blick multi-cell DECT system that
    we were warned not to site the base-stations too high up because
    you could get a null in coverage right underneath.

    I think they insisted in referring to the base stations as radio-heads,
    made them sound like an 80s rock band.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Apr 8, 2007
  5. Roger Baker

    David Millen Guest

    On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:28:03 +0100, "Graham" <> wrote:

    >.
    >>>

    >> You could experiment by placing the base unit in different positions
    >> around the house. If possible, you could try an upstairs room or even
    >> the loft. Height and free space are the most essential criteria.

    >I am sure when I did a course on a Blick multi-cell DECT system that
    >we were warned not to site the base-stations too high up because
    >you could get a null in coverage right underneath.
    >
    >I think they insisted in referring to the base stations as radio-heads,
    >made them sound like an 80s rock band.

    Also, it helps to think of the coverage as a fixed-volume cone with
    the base at its apex - the higher you go, the smaller the area of the
    circle which forms the base of the cone. Height can still be
    helpful, but it's not a cure-all.
    --
    All the best
    David Millen

    David Millen, Apr 8, 2007
  6. Roger Baker

    Tim Guest

    Roger Baker wrote:
    > Looking for recommendations for a system to plug into my ATA that
    > gives really good range. Maybe I should buy another Philips :)

    Just forget the ATA and buy a Siemens C460IP. The range is as good as
    any single base / no repeater system I have used.

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 8, 2007
  7. In article <46192295$0$763$>,
    Tim <> wrote:
    >Roger Baker wrote:
    >> Looking for recommendations for a system to plug into my ATA that
    >> gives really good range. Maybe I should buy another Philips :)
    >>

    >Just forget the ATA and buy a Siemens C460IP. The range is as good as
    >any single base / no repeater system I have used.

    Seconded. I've installed 4 of these now (3 at a client site and one at
    home, as it more than passes the wife test!) and the range and sound
    quality is excellent. The base unit has an analogue phone socket and an
    Ethernet port. The base unit (+ PSU) is separate from the phone/charger
    unit - so all handsets are identical and you can put the base unit where
    it's best positioned.

    I've bought mine from http://www.provu.co.uk/ no connection other than
    being a happy customer, although I have found that other so-called GAP
    compliant handsets I already had won't mate to the base station )-:

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 8, 2007
  8. Roger Baker

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:10:01 +0200, Roger Baker <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry to be somewhat OT but I know many of you use DECT phones plugged
    >into the ATA. I have bought a new house (for me) and it has quite a
    >lot of garden around it.
    >
    >I have a BT Freestyle 2200 system and also a Philips 1222 system. For
    >reasons that I won't go into I need to leave the existing systems
    >where they are. Under the same conditions I find the Philips has a
    >better range than the BT system, which cuts out well before the
    >Philips. I know these things are supposed to have a maximum power
    >output but some seem to work better than others. I need to be able to
    >cover the whole garden, which the Philips almost does.
    >
    >Looking for recommendations for a system to plug into my ATA that
    >gives really good range. Maybe I should buy another Philips :)
    >
    >Thanks,
    >

    >Roger.

    If I wanted to increase the range, of any device like this, I'd look
    at improving the aerial. It is a pity these devices don't have an
    aerial socket. To use an external aerial you'd have to open up the
    base station and make a suiable connection. There are plenty of
    articles on the Net for homebrew 2.4GHz aerials. It all depends on how
    confident you are about the electronics side of it.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Apr 8, 2007
  9. Roger Baker

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > If I wanted to increase the range, of any device like
    > this, I'd look at improving the aerial. It is a pity
    > these devices don't have an aerial socket. To use an
    > external aerial you'd have to open up the base station
    > and make a suiable connection. There are plenty of
    > articles on the Net for homebrew 2.4GHz aerials. It all
    > depends on how confident you are about the electronics
    > side of it.

    I wouldn't swear to it, but I'd hazard a pretty good guess that the reason
    these devices don't have aerial sockets is to prevent people doing exactly
    what you are trying to do..! Imagine if everybody put external aerials on
    their DECT bases, it could cause a lot of interference problems. Do it
    with Wi-Fi as well and it would be chaos in a heavily populated area..!

    Also if you do modify the aerial connection, bear in mind you will almost
    certainly invalidate any warranty and probably run foul of type-approval
    legislation as well.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 9, 2007
  10. Roger Baker

    Andy Lord Guest

    On Apr 8, 12:10 pm, Roger Baker <> wrote:
    > Sorry to be somewhat OT but I know many of you use DECT phones plugged
    > into the ATA. I have bought a new house (for me) and it has quite a
    > lot of garden around it.
    >
    > I have a BT Freestyle 2200 system and also a Philips 1222 system. For
    > reasons that I won't go into I need to leave the existing systems
    > where they are. Under the same conditions I find the Philips has a
    > better range than the BT system, which cuts out well before the
    > Philips. I know these things are supposed to have a maximum power
    > output but some seem to work better than others. I need to be able to
    > cover the whole garden, which the Philips almost does.
    >
    > Looking for recommendations for a system to plug into my ATA that
    > gives really good range. Maybe I should buy another Philips :)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Roger.

    Google for "BT Diverse Elements" - they claim 1km outdoor range and
    weatherproof.

    --

    Andy

    Andy Lord, Apr 9, 2007
  11. Roger Baker

    Tim Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > If I wanted to increase the range, of any device like this, I'd look
    > at improving the aerial. It is a pity these devices don't have an
    > aerial socket. To use an external aerial you'd have to open up the
    > base station and make a suiable connection. There are plenty of
    > articles on the Net for homebrew 2.4GHz aerials. It all depends on how
    > confident you are about the electronics side of it.

    Except Dect runs on 1880-1900 MHz.

    So, if you were to connect a 2.4Ghz antenna then the VSWR would probably
    kill the transmitter over time.

    One of the very good things about Dect is that it has its own frequency
    band. Only Dect devices operate here, so there is very little chance of
    interference. For this to work, everything has to work within the Dect
    standard, and I guess this includes transmit power levels.

    If you do want to go further, then we believe that the BT diverse
    repeater will work with the C460IP. It is also a Siemens product.

    I haven't tried it yet.

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 9, 2007
  12. Roger Baker

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:22:27 +0100, Tim <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >> If I wanted to increase the range, of any device like this, I'd look
    >> at improving the aerial. It is a pity these devices don't have an
    >> aerial socket. To use an external aerial you'd have to open up the
    >> base station and make a suiable connection. There are plenty of
    >> articles on the Net for homebrew 2.4GHz aerials. It all depends on how
    >> confident you are about the electronics side of it.
    >>

    >Except Dect runs on 1880-1900 MHz.

    Yes, I wasn't very clear. I did mean with modification. Many of the
    aerial plans do allow for use at other frequencies.

    >So, if you were to connect a 2.4Ghz antenna then the VSWR would probably
    >kill the transmitter over time.

    At such low power I don't think there would be a problem. If the 'PA'
    is going to go it'll go quickly. So much better in the valve days -
    when they started to glow red you knew there was a problem and could
    switch off - semiconductors go into thermal runaway and that's end of
    story. I did hear of one chap who coverd a golf course with a rabbit
    base station with an aerial attached.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Apr 9, 2007
  13. Roger Baker

    Roger Baker Guest

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:22:27 +0100, Tim <> wrote:

    >Except Dect runs on 1880-1900 MHz.

    Tim,

    Thanks for this. I too had always understood DECT to be circa 1900Mhz.

    I am intrigued why people sometimes need to move their DECT base
    stations away from their WiFi access points or change WiFi channel to
    avoid drop outs. Maybe the front end of these devices is wide open?

    Roger.

    Roger Baker, Apr 9, 2007
  14. Roger Baker

    Tim Guest

    Roger Baker wrote:

    > Thanks for this. I too had always understood DECT to be circa 1900Mhz.
    >
    > I am intrigued why people sometimes need to move their DECT base
    > stations away from their WiFi access points or change WiFi channel to
    > avoid drop outs. Maybe the front end of these devices is wide open?

    You are probably correct.

    I've not had a problem with wifi.

    But do know of problems with using the new (chinese) BT Dect phones when
    the dect base is next to a some Freeview set top boxes.

    If the problems were wifi, then the problem may not have been Dect but
    something else. But changing the wifi channel helps. For example, Wifi
    channel 12 is completely unusable in my office, for some reason I've
    never been able to explain.

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 9, 2007
  15. Roger Baker

    Roger Baker Guest

    On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:04:51 +0100, Tim <> wrote:

    >something else. But changing the wifi channel helps. For example, Wifi
    >channel 12 is completely unusable in my office, for some reason I've
    >never been able to explain.

    Could it be that some of the items in your office are using WiFi cards
    designed for the USA market? I don't think they allow channels 11 & 12
    in the USA.

    I have a Linksys WMB54G Music Bridge purched in the USA and it only
    has WiFi channels 1 to 11.

    Reger.

    Roger Baker, Apr 9, 2007
  16. Roger Baker

    Tim Guest

    Roger Baker wrote:
    > Could it be that some of the items in your office are using WiFi cards
    > designed for the USA market? I don't think they allow channels 11 & 12
    > in the USA.

    I don't think so. We've tried lots of different wifi devices. And they
    work fine on 12 in other places.

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 9, 2007
  17. Roger Baker

    alexd Guest

    Tim wrote:

    > For example, Wifi channel 12 is completely unusable in my office, for some
    > reason I've never been able to explain.

    Could be other users on the channel. As you alluded to in an earlier post,
    WiFi has to share the 2.4GHz band with a whole host of other devices, so it
    could be almost anything from CCTV to a dodgy imported cordless phone.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:26:58 up 1 day, 4:45, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.26, 0.31

    alexd, Apr 9, 2007
  18. Roger Baker

    Tim Guest

    alexd wrote:

    > Could be other users on the channel. As you alluded to in an earlier post,
    > WiFi has to share the 2.4GHz band with a whole host of other devices, so it
    > could be almost anything from CCTV to a dodgy imported cordless phone.

    Which goes back to saying that the dedicated spectrum for Dect is a
    really good thing.

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 9, 2007
  19. Roger Baker

    alexd Guest

    OT: DECT

    Tim wrote:

    > Which goes back to saying that the dedicated spectrum for Dect is a
    > really good thing.

    How many DECT "channels" are there? How many sets of one handset + one base
    station could one have in the same room making calls at once? If you've got
    too many too close together, do you get a busy tone or does the handset
    just fail to register with the base station?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:33:37 up 2 days, 6:52, 2 users, load average: 0.80, 0.68, 0.52

    alexd, Apr 10, 2007
  20. Re: OT: DECT

    In article <>, alexd <> wrote:
    >Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Which goes back to saying that the dedicated spectrum for Dect is a
    >> really good thing.

    >How many DECT "channels" are there? How many sets of one handset + one base
    >station could one have in the same room making calls at once? If you've got
    >too many too close together, do you get a busy tone or does the handset
    >just fail to register with the base station?

    I've never been able to work this out, but AIUI, there are professional
    DECT solutions that can handle over 100 sepatate phones, each individually
    addressable.

    At one client site, I've got 5 basestations in one room, (3 siemens
    CP460IPs, one on a fax machine, one a BT unit) all working OK - but when
    I power-up an el-cheapo USB DECT phone that they have in the same room,
    it breaks most of the others, I think it's the USB phone base that is the
    issue, not the fact that there are too many DECT basestations - it's just
    cheape skype rubbish as far as I'm concerned, and best off in the bin.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 10, 2007