    my debit card

    help

    Dave

    Dragon, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Dragon

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > I wouldn't mind I am an Everton fan

    Obviously not a football supporter then ;-)

    Most banks have a number for lost / stolen cards. Given that money has
    apparently been stolen from your account, i`d be tempted to use the 24hr
    emergency number they have.

    Colin Wilson, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Dragon

    FMT Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    If your card is a debit card that can be used like a MasterCard or Visa,
    sometimes it's just that a wrong credit card number was entered. A few
    months ago I noticed a charge for a small British airline (I live in the US
    and haven't been to England for 10 years) had a charge on my debit card. My
    bank took a few days to fix things, but it did get done. In fact, I knew
    more than they did for awhile after a little research on the internet. The
    most annoying thing was that when the airline finally credited my card they
    did it for .02 less than they charged - a small thing I know - but it was
    just the principal of the thing and way too time consuming to protest
    further! :)

    Good luck.

    Fran

    --
    A small piece of that fresh fish you're planning to grill will no doubt
    secure for you untold blessings ...

    Zen for Cats by Henry Beard

    FMT, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Re: Debit Card Fraud

    Per FMT:
    >The
    >most annoying thing was that when the airline finally credited my card

    Am I missing something? Right now I can't figure out why *anybody* would want
    a debit card in their name when they can have a regular credit card and just pay
    the bill every month.

    What scares me about debit cards is that they're a directly line into the bank
    account - whereas a credit card is essentially a firewall....and has a $50 fraud
    exposure limit.

    If somebody cleans out my bank account with a fraudulent debit card transaction,
    the money's gone and it's on me to get it back. If somebody hits my credit
    card with a fraudulent transaction the credit card company still doesn't have my
    money and I have recourse...

    Am I missing something?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Jan 3, 2005
  5. Dragon

    FMT Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    Well, using a debit does tend to limit how much you can spend because it
    instantly comes out of your account and if you have a problem with credit
    cards (which a lot of people do) this is a way to keep it under control.
    Having said that, I can now say that I dumped my debit card and just pay off
    my credit card every month. I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that
    more companies aren't asking for the code from the back of the card, which
    would tell them that you actually have the card in hand.

    Most banks will reverse a fraudulent (or mistake) transaction on a debit
    card (or at least I've never heard of one that didn't), but the problem is
    that your account is short until they do. This incident was actually the
    second time I've had a problem. Once I ordered incredibly expensive cookware
    and the company charged my debit card twice (different amounts - go
    figure) - ouch!

    Anyway, I agree with you and I'm cured!

    FMT, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Dragon

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > Per FMT:
    >> The
    >> most annoying thing was that when the airline finally credited my
    >> card

    > Am I missing something? Right now I can't figure out why *anybody*
    > would want a debit card in their name when they can have a regular
    > credit card and just pay the bill every month.
    >
    > What scares me about debit cards is that they're a directly line into
    > the bank account - whereas a credit card is essentially a
    > firewall....and has a $50 fraud exposure limit.
    >
    > If somebody cleans out my bank account with a fraudulent debit card
    > transaction, the money's gone and it's on me to get it back. If
    > somebody hits my credit card with a fraudulent transaction the credit
    > card company still doesn't have my money and I have recourse...
    >
    > Am I missing something?

    Because debit is debit, and credit is credit. They're two entirely
    different things. :) No, I'm not being facetious. Really, I want to spend
    money I physically have in my live checking account. I don't want to rack
    up credit to owe later. It's too easy (for me) to spend beyond my means if
    I use a credit card as you describe. I know this from past personal
    experience, and I won't fall into that trap again. A debit card keeps me in
    line.

    YMMV, and each to his own.

    Mike Kohary, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Dragon

    Tumbleweed Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    > Per FMT:
    >>The
    >>most annoying thing was that when the airline finally credited my card

    > Am I missing something? Right now I can't figure out why *anybody* would
    > want
    > a debit card in their name when they can have a regular credit card and
    > just pay
    > the bill every month.

    How would you get cash without one ? (unless you are content to go to the
    bank with your cheque book)

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

    Tumbleweed, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Dragon

    Alpha Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    In Japan, both credit cards and debit cards are almost not used. People
    pull out big wads of cash to buy everything, including 30,000 yen plane
    tickets. Don't even try to use a western credit or debit, such as Cirrus.

    Alpha, Jan 3, 2005
  9. Dragon

    Justin Cole Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    "Tumbleweed" <> wrote in message
    > How would you get cash without one ? (unless you are content to go to the
    > bank with your cheque book)

    What do you need cash for? Last time I bought a round of drinks it was on
    my card ;-)

    Justin.

    Justin Cole, Jan 3, 2005
  10. Dragon

    Tumbleweed Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    "Justin Cole" <> wrote in message
    > "Tumbleweed" <> wrote in message
    >> How would you get cash without one ? (unless you are content to go to the
    >> bank with your cheque book)

    > What do you need cash for? Last time I bought a round of drinks it was on
    > my card ;-)
    >
    > Justin.

    Mine's a 6X :)

    Tumbleweed, Jan 3, 2005
  11. Dragon

    Andy Pandy Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi just some advise please
    >
    > I have just checked my bank statement online and noticed a payment from
    > Cardiff City FC for the sum of 191.35 pence which I haven't got the
    > foggiest what it is, I cant ring the main bank card line till in the
    > morning has anyone else come across this and if so what can I do about it
    >
    > I only use the likes of dvd soon and dvd pacific amazon and play.com to
    > order online and I haven't had trouble before with them, any one else had
    > this, I wouldn't mind I am an Everton fan, and know one else has access to
    > my debit card
    >
    > help
    >
    > Dave

    Have you withdrawn cash lately from an ATM somewhere? I was thinking maybe,
    what do they call it? .... is it "skimming" ???

    ie. some nasty little device in the ATM that collects your card details and
    then they use it from there on....

    Could be something to do with it?

    Andy

    Andy Pandy, Jan 3, 2005
  12. Dragon

    Nigel Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    Andy Pandy typed:

    > Have you withdrawn cash lately from an ATM somewhere? I was thinking
    > maybe, what do they call it? .... is it "skimming" ???
    >
    > ie. some nasty little device in the ATM that collects your card details
    > and then they use it from there on....
    >
    > Could be something to do with it?

    Possibly, although the majority of 'skimming' devices ultimately lead to a
    dummy card being created, which is then used to withdraw funds directly from
    an ATM, which comes straight out the 'comprimised' account. They tend not to
    lead to Switch/Maestro fraud.

    --
    Nige

    Nigel, Jan 3, 2005
  13. Dragon

    > "Justin Cole" <> wrote in message
    > > "Tumbleweed" <> wrote in message
    > >> How would you get cash without one ? (unless you are content to go to

    the
    > >> bank with your cheque book)

    > > What do you need cash for? Last time I bought a round of drinks it was

    on
    > > my card ;-)

    > Mine's a 6X :)

    LOL.

    Justin.

    Justin Cole, Jan 3, 2005
  14. Dragon

    Lithurge Guest

    "Dragon" <> wrote in

    > Hi just some advise please
    >
    > I have just checked my bank statement online and noticed a
    > payment from Cardiff City FC for the sum of 191.35 pence
    > which I haven't got the foggiest what it is,

    > I only use the likes of dvd soon and dvd pacific amazon and
    > play.com to order online and I haven't had trouble before
    > with them,

    Were you using it with Pacific before the security breash, and
    did you cancel it and get a replacement if you were?

    They are still working their way through the numbers, I actually
    rang my bank at the time of the breach and was told not to
    cancel my card, so I didn't, then I had a fraudulent ebay charge
    last month. A company I last used 2 years ago, and have never
    given any CC details to, and that includes Paypal.

    Note for next time, ignore the bank muppets who when I rang up
    challenging the transaction gave me a second number to ring, and
    said there was no point in ringing that number until the charge
    appeared on my statement.

    They couldn't understand I could see it on my online statement
    for some reason. How else would I know what the amount was & who
    the charge was from?

    Lithurge, Jan 3, 2005
  15. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    "Lithurge" <> wrote in message
    > "Dragon" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi just some advise please
    >>
    >> I have just checked my bank statement online and noticed a
    >> payment from Cardiff City FC for the sum of 191.35 pence
    >> which I haven't got the foggiest what it is,

    >> I only use the likes of dvd soon and dvd pacific amazon and
    >> play.com to order online and I haven't had trouble before
    >> with them,

    > Were you using it with Pacific before the security breash, and
    > did you cancel it and get a replacement if you were?
    >
    > They are still working their way through the numbers, I actually
    > rang my bank at the time of the breach and was told not to
    > cancel my card, so I didn't, then I had a fraudulent ebay charge
    > last month. A company I last used 2 years ago, and have never
    > given any CC details to, and that includes Paypal.
    >
    > Note for next time, ignore the bank muppets who when I rang up
    > challenging the transaction gave me a second number to ring, and
    > said there was no point in ringing that number until the charge
    > appeared on my statement.
    >
    > They couldn't understand I could see it on my online statement
    > for some reason. How else would I know what the amount was & who
    > the charge was from?

    No not used a ATM for about 15 years, and on the dvd pacific front yes i did
    ring but lucky it was on my old card when the fraud thing happened,

    Ill ring em in the morning see what they say

    dave

    Dragon, Jan 3, 2005
  16. Re: Debit Card Fraud

    > "Tumbleweed" <> wrote in message
    > > How would you get cash without one ? (unless you are content to go
    > > to the bank with your cheque book)

    > What do you need cash for?

    Gambling, dope and whores?

    One-Shot Scot, Jan 3, 2005
  17. Dragon

    Justin Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    Alpha wrote on [Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:25:30 -0800]:
    > In Japan, both credit cards and debit cards are almost not used. People
    > pull out big wads of cash to buy everything, including 30,000 yen plane
    > tickets. Don't even try to use a western credit or debit, such as Cirrus.

    And?

    Justin, Jan 3, 2005
  18. Dragon

    AG Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:25:30 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >In Japan, both credit cards and debit cards are almost not used. People
    >pull out big wads of cash to buy everything, including 30,000 yen plane
    >tickets. Don't even try to use a western credit or debit, such as Cirrus.

    In the UK anyone with large amounts in cash is likely to have it
    seized under the proceeds of crime act on grounds it may have come
    from a criminal enterprise. The owner has three months to prove
    otherwise. Guidelines state £10000 but there have been cases of as
    little as £700 being seized.

    AG, Jan 3, 2005
  19. Dragon

    Tumbleweed Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    "AG" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:25:30 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >
    >>In Japan, both credit cards and debit cards are almost not used. People
    >>pull out big wads of cash to buy everything, including 30,000 yen plane
    >>tickets. Don't even try to use a western credit or debit, such as Cirrus.

    > In the UK anyone with large amounts in cash is likely to have it
    > seized under the proceeds of crime act on grounds it may have come
    > from a criminal enterprise. The owner has three months to prove
    > otherwise. Guidelines state £10000 but there have been cases of as
    > little as £700 being seized.

    Jeezus! Any references?

    Tumbleweed, Jan 3, 2005
  20. Dragon

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    Re: Debit Card Fraud

    Tumbleweed wrote:
    > "AG" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:25:30 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In Japan, both credit cards and debit cards are almost not used. People
    >>> pull out big wads of cash to buy everything, including
    >>> 30,000 yen plane tickets. Don't even try to use a western credit
    >>> or debit, such as Cirrus.

    >> In the UK anyone with large amounts in cash is likely to have it
    >> seized under the proceeds of crime act on grounds it may have come
    >> from a criminal enterprise. The owner has three months to prove
    >> otherwise. Guidelines state £10000 but there have been cases of as
    >> little as £700 being seized.
    >>>

    > Jeezus! Any references?

    I think you will find that the £700 was an unemployed person with no other
    income other than the drugs he was arrest for selling.
    --
    Alex

    "I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk
    www.sffh.co.uk
    www.ebayfaq.co.uk

    Dr Zoidberg, Jan 3, 2005