OT: cordless answerphone...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Jun 11, 2008.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Hi all,

    I need to replace the ol' Uniden, battery doesn't hack it anymore.

    Don't care about:
    security, long range, size, colour, weight

    Do care about:
    must have answer machine, remote access to messages, reasonable range,
    price, interference with wireless router, cradability between head and
    shoulder (or headset would be nice)

    I had a look on the DSE site; there's a plethora of phones and types -
    (Standard, DECT, WDECT, 2.4Gz, 5.8Gz etc etc - I don't know what these
    options really mean (and I probably don't care either)).

    I'm in Christchurch.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 11, 2008

  2. Dave Doe

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Doe <> wrote in

    > I'm in Christchurch.

    Get the battery repacked or a replacement.
    http://www.batterymasta.co.nz is one of many places.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 11, 2008

  3. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    Re: cordless answerphone...

    BTMO wrote:
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote
    >
    >> I had a look on the DSE site; there's a plethora of phones and types -
    >> (Standard, DECT, WDECT, 2.4Gz, 5.8Gz etc etc - I don't know what these
    >> options really mean (and I probably don't care either)).
    >>
    >> I'm in Christchurch.

    > We got this one - works a treat...
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f6a2100cd12ee273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/F7974
    >
    > Very clear, nice easy to use handsets, answering machine built in, cheap.

    Ditto this

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f6a2100cd12ee273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/F7963

    Basically anything 1.8GHz or 5.8Ghz will be fine alongside your wireless.

    EMB, Jun 11, 2008
  4. In article <>,
    says...

    > I had a look on the DSE site; there's a plethora of phones and types -
    > (Standard, DECT, WDECT, 2.4Gz, 5.8Gz etc etc - I don't know what these
    > options really mean (and I probably don't care either)).
    >
    > I'm in Christchurch.

    Well I went from the normal Uniden we had before specifically
    to a 5.8Ghz Panasonic because the Uniden was interfering with
    the wireless networking.

    But:
    The wireless router sometimes scrambles the Panasonic phones
    though, so there. I have disabled wireless on the router, which
    has sorted the problem.

    Apart from that I like the Panasonic (1 mothership plus two
    cordless extras with chargers) somewhat better than the Unidens
    we had before (2 different types). We have an independent
    answerphone, which I got when telecom jacked up the prices for
    call redirection etc.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 11, 2008
  5. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: cordless answerphone...

    In article <484f6ae3$>, says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote
    >
    > > I had a look on the DSE site; there's a plethora of phones and types -
    > > (Standard, DECT, WDECT, 2.4Gz, 5.8Gz etc etc - I don't know what these
    > > options really mean (and I probably don't care either)).
    > >
    > > I'm in Christchurch.

    > We got this one - works a treat...
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f6a2100cd12ee273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/F7974
    >
    > Very clear, nice easy to use handsets, answering machine built in, cheap.

    Thanks - could you please post the Item desc. that comes up? - when I go
    to the link you posted, I get a search page of results - dunno what's up
    there.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 12, 2008
  6. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: cordless answerphone...

    In article <484f886c$>, says...
    > BTMO wrote:
    > > "Dave Doe" <> wrote
    > >
    > >> I had a look on the DSE site; there's a plethora of phones and types -
    > >> (Standard, DECT, WDECT, 2.4Gz, 5.8Gz etc etc - I don't know what these
    > >> options really mean (and I probably don't care either)).
    > >>
    > >> I'm in Christchurch.

    > > We got this one - works a treat...
    > >
    > > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f6a2100cd12ee273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/F7974
    > >
    > > Very clear, nice easy to use handsets, answering machine built in, cheap.

    > Ditto this
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f6a2100cd12ee273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/F7963
    >
    > Basically anything 1.8GHz or 5.8Ghz will be fine alongside your wireless.

    Same as BTMO...

    Dave Doe, Jun 12, 2008
  7. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <48505739$>, says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > Don't care about:
    > > security, long range, size, colour, weight
    > >
    > > Do care about:
    > > must have answer machine, remote access to messages, reasonable range,
    > > price, interference with wireless router, cradability between head and
    > > shoulder (or headset would be nice)
    > >

    > Some other features I've learnt to value, after having phones both with
    > and without them:
    >
    > - auto answer when lift handset from base (vs having to push a button).
    >
    > - speakerphone on handset (so 3 year old can join in conversations with
    > Gran).
    >
    > - backlit keypad
    >
    > - small enough to fit in pocket while in the garden (might conflict with
    > your desire for head/shoulder cradalability)
    >
    > - centralised phone book (phone numbers stored/maintained on base
    > station, can be accessed by any handset.

    Cheers, good points.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 12, 2008
  8. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <Xns9ABAB9E652BC6daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe <> wrote in
    >
    > > I'm in Christchurch.

    > Get the battery repacked or a replacement.
    > http://www.batterymasta.co.nz is one of many places.

    It does other horrible things too - like it sometimes just cuts out to a
    very loud "noise" - and it doesn't recover.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 12, 2008
  9. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > I had a look on the DSE site; there's a plethora of phones and types -
    > > (Standard, DECT, WDECT, 2.4Gz, 5.8Gz etc etc - I don't know what these
    > > options really mean (and I probably don't care either)).
    > >
    > > I'm in Christchurch.
    > >

    > Well I went from the normal Uniden we had before specifically
    > to a 5.8Ghz Panasonic because the Uniden was interfering with
    > the wireless networking.
    >
    > But:
    > The wireless router sometimes scrambles the Panasonic phones
    > though, so there. I have disabled wireless on the router, which
    > has sorted the problem.
    >
    > Apart from that I like the Panasonic (1 mothership plus two
    > cordless extras with chargers) somewhat better than the Unidens
    > we had before (2 different types). We have an independent
    > answerphone, which I got when telecom jacked up the prices for
    > call redirection etc.

    Thanks for the info, appreciated.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 12, 2008
  10. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: cordless answerphone...

    In article <484f6ae3$>, says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote
    >
    > > I had a look on the DSE site; there's a plethora of phones and types -
    > > (Standard, DECT, WDECT, 2.4Gz, 5.8Gz etc etc - I don't know what these
    > > options really mean (and I probably don't care either)).
    > >
    > > I'm in Christchurch.

    > We got this one - works a treat...
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f6a2100cd12ee273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/F7974
    >
    > Very clear, nice easy to use handsets, answering machine built in, cheap.

    OK, think I got there, searched DSE for "F7974" - and hopefully got the
    right thing..

    Same w' you EMB.

    Found the:

    Uniden 1.8Ghz DECT6035 Cordless Phones Twin Pack + Answer Machine
    and
    Uniden DSS7955 Cordless Phone Twin Pack + Answering Machine
    2 handsets

    respectively - please lemme know if that's not what you were referring
    to.

    Cheers guys.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 12, 2008
  11. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: cordless answerphone...

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/F7974

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/F7963

    > Basically anything 1.8GHz or 5.8Ghz will be fine alongside your
    > wireless.

    You have to hit "Email page link" or it doesn't work.

    :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 12, 2008
  12. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: cordless answerphone...

    In article <484f6ae3$>, says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote
    >
    > > I had a look on the DSE site; there's a plethora of phones and types -
    > > (Standard, DECT, WDECT, 2.4Gz, 5.8Gz etc etc - I don't know what these
    > > options really mean (and I probably don't care either)).
    > >
    > > I'm in Christchurch.

    > We got this one - works a treat...
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f6a2100cd12ee273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/F7974
    >
    > Very clear, nice easy to use handsets, answering machine built in, cheap.

    Well I've phoned and got ChCh Manchester St branch to hold the only one
    of these they have for me.

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-
    bin/dse.storefront/485075c7033d66d4273fc0a87f3b06e7/Product/View/F7974

    Uniden 1.8Ghz DECT6035 Cordless Phones Twin Pack + Answer Machine

    Thanks BTMO and EMB - and others - for your advice and info, greatfully
    recieved and appreciated.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 12, 2008
  13. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: cordless answerphone...

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    > In article <484f886c$>, says...
    >> BTMO wrote:
    >>> "Dave Doe" <> wrote

    >>> We got this one - works a treat...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f6a2100cd12ee273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/F7974
    >>>
    >>> Very clear, nice easy to use handsets, answering machine built in,
    >>> cheap.

    >> Ditto this
    >>
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/484f6a2100cd12ee273fc0a87f3b06bb/Product/View/F7963
    >>
    >> Basically anything 1.8GHz or 5.8Ghz will be fine alongside your
    >> wireless.
    >>

    > Same as BTMO...
    >
    > Thanks - could you please post the Item desc. that comes up? - when I
    > go to the link you posted, I get a search page of results - dunno
    > what's up there.

    See my post Dave.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 12, 2008
  14. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    Re: cordless answerphone...

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > Thanks - could you please post the Item desc. that comes up? - when I go
    > to the link you posted, I get a search page of results - dunno what's up
    > there.

    Search DSE's site for F7974 for BTMO's suggestion, F7963 for mine.

    EMB, Jun 12, 2008
  15. Dave Doe

    richms Guest

    On Jun 12, 10:52 am, grum <> wrote:

    > Some other features I've learnt to value, after having phones both with
    > and without them:
    >
    > - auto answer when lift handset from base (vs having to push a button).

    I know, thats the most annoying thing when the phones ringing and you
    pick it up since you cant see it in the cradle and it answers. Missing
    on landlines is a reject button sadly. On my panasonic you cant even
    mute it rining with the red key which I would have thought would be
    pretty simple to do.

    > - speakerphone on handset (so 3 year old can join in conversations with
    > Gran).

    Yes, they are usually a good thing to have.

    > - backlit keypad

    So long as its not like my panasonic where the numbers light up and
    the other keys dont.. NEWSFLASH.. I know where numbers are, they are
    like every other damn phone, the other keys are the ones that I need
    to see.

    > - small enough to fit in pocket while in the garden (might conflict with
    > your desire for head/shoulder cradalability)

    Working keylock is essential if your pockting it. I prefer belt clips

    > - centralised phone book (phone numbers stored/maintained on base
    > station, can be accessed by any handset.

    Some of them will take a sim card and copy contacts off it. I with the
    outlook integration one that came out a few years back didnt flop.
    That would be great if integrated with the ones that do skype/other
    voip over usb. Almost a no brainer.

    richms, Jun 12, 2008
  16. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <acbed264-8879-4c65-b625-
    >, says...
    > On Jun 12, 10:52 am, grum <> wrote:
    >
    > > Some other features I've learnt to value, after having phones both with
    > > and without them:
    > >
    > > - auto answer when lift handset from base (vs having to push a button).

    > I know, thats the most annoying thing when the phones ringing and you
    > pick it up since you cant see it in the cradle and it answers. Missing
    > on landlines is a reject button sadly. On my panasonic you cant even
    > mute it rining with the red key which I would have thought would be
    > pretty simple to do.

    It's got that, not enabled by default - I have enabled it.

    > > - speakerphone on handset (so 3 year old can join in conversations with
    > > Gran).

    > Yes, they are usually a good thing to have.

    It's got that.

    > > - backlit keypad

    And that.

    > So long as its not like my panasonic where the numbers light up and
    > the other keys dont.. NEWSFLASH.. I know where numbers are, they are
    > like every other damn phone, the other keys are the ones that I need
    > to see.
    >
    > > - small enough to fit in pocket while in the garden (might conflict with
    > > your desire for head/shoulder cradalability)

    > Working keylock is essential if your pockting it. I prefer belt clips

    It's tallish, but can still fit in pocket. It has belt clips, which
    I've fitted - no doubt the flattie will break them within a couple of
    weeks.

    > > - centralised phone book (phone numbers stored/maintained on base
    > > station, can be accessed by any handset.

    That's the only thing it *doesn't* have - however there are two handsets
    - so I just need to educate my flattie to sync up to the "other" handset
    when he's storing entries (another education process in itself :)

    > Some of them will take a sim card and copy contacts off it. I with the
    > outlook integration one that came out a few years back didnt flop.
    > That would be great if integrated with the ones that do skype/other
    > voip over usb. Almost a no brainer.

    No bluetooth or USB that I can see - so no integration to Outlook that I
    can see (would be nice!).

    It stores the last 30 caller-id's - so I'll just use them and slowly
    build up a phonebook list (70 entries max) as they come in.

    I like the new phone already!

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jun 12, 2008