    --
    Techie
    MCNGP #21
    Techie, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Techie

    kpg Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message
    news:44Hod.29339$...
    > Please excuse this stupid question but can anyone confirm the proper use
    > of COM1 on a new server.
    >
    > Our Telephony company has installed a Nortel TAPI device on COM1 and its
    > not working correctly, and we are at odds on the usage of COM1.
    >
    > Any serious input appreciated

    I seriously don't understand the question.

    What do you mean by 'confirm the proper use' of...?

    kpg
    kpg, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Techie

    Techie Guest

    What device is on COM1?

    Techie, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Techie

    kpg Guest

    I would think a test for what device is on COM1 would require
    knowledge of how that device would respond to device specific
    queries.

    We used to have to test for the presence of a modem on any COM
    port, so we would query each COM port in turn and wait for a response.

    You need to know how to communicate with the device. If you are
    unsure if the COM port is working at all you could always hook a modem
    up to it, go to DOS and type Echo ATDT > COM1 to see if it picks up.
    (or use that modem trouble shooter thingy in windows)

    Now if it were me and the 'device' were installed by a third party, I would
    get their butt out there to fix it.

    kpg
    kpg, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Techie wrote:
    > What device is on COM1?

    Typically, a mouse, but these days, maybe nothing since most mice are bus or
    USB.

    Have you checked your device manager at all?

    COM ports are lots of fun to configure.

    Imagine doing it in DOS for a serial printer. Making your own cables, etc.

    --
    Fris "Parallel RULZ!" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.com

    Certaholics
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Techie

    kpg Guest

    > Imagine doing it in DOS for a serial printer. Making your own cables,
    > etc.

    Joy!

    I used to make null modem cables and printer cables. Those were the days.
    You would go to the appendix in the printer manual to get the pinouts then
    start hooking it up.

    I love the smell of solder in the morning.

    kpg
    kpg, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Techie

    Techie Guest

    Getting them in has been a pain. I am of the belief that the TAPI device
    should not be on COM1, I am just looking for some support.

    Techie, Nov 23, 2004
  8. Techie

    Techie Guest

    Checked the Device Manager and it reports no conflicts. I maybe wrong but I
    was always under the impression that COM1 should not be used.

    I have done the serial printer nightmare I'll pass thanks

    Techie, Nov 23, 2004
  9. Techie

    Doom Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in message
    >> Imagine doing it in DOS for a serial printer. Making your own cables,
    >> etc.

    > Joy!
    >
    > I used to make null modem cables and printer cables. Those were the days.

    You guys must be older than dirt.

    *runs*
    Doom, Nov 23, 2004
  10. Techie

    LnkWizard Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message
    > Getting them in has been a pain. I am of the belief that the TAPI device
    > should not be on COM1, I am just looking for some support.
    >
    > "kpg" <> wrote in message
    > >I would think a test for what device is on COM1 would require
    > > knowledge of how that device would respond to device specific
    > > queries.
    > >
    > > We used to have to test for the presence of a modem on any COM
    > > port, so we would query each COM port in turn and wait for a response.
    > >
    > > You need to know how to communicate with the device. If you are
    > > unsure if the COM port is working at all you could always hook a modem
    > > up to it, go to DOS and type Echo ATDT > COM1 to see if it picks up.
    > > (or use that modem trouble shooter thingy in windows)
    > >
    > > Now if it were me and the 'device' were installed by a third party, I
    > > would
    > > get their butt out there to fix it.
    > >
    > > kpg

    Try moving it to COM2, it could be one of those old-fashioned
    IRQ conflict issues. You know like back in the day the mouse
    needed to be on COM2 and the modem on COM1 or they
    didn't work.

    LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

    LnkWizard, Nov 23, 2004
  11. Techie

    kpg Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message
    > Getting them in has been a pain. I am of the belief that the TAPI device
    > should not be on COM1, I am just looking for some support.

    Yes. MsInfo32 and Device Manager will show you what Windows
    THINKS is on COM1. CMOS settings may effect how COM1
    is handled. Build in modems are often COM3 which shares COM1
    ports. What a mess. Sorry.

    kp ''give me dip switches - plug and pray sucks" g
    kpg, Nov 23, 2004
  12. Well why the heck NOT use COM1??? It's just a serial port for heaven's sake!
    Is your "TAPI" device like most other TAPI devices??? I.E. a MODEM????
    Should work on COM1, COM2, or other COM port if you have them in your machine.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9uYXRob3NwaWNl?=, Nov 23, 2004
  13. Techie

    Techie Guest

    LnkWizard
    My answer as well was to move it to COM2 but they swear up and down that
    COM1 is not an issue.Unfortunately management will not let me make any
    changes as it would mean rebooting the server taking down voice mail for 10
    minutes.

    What leads me to suspect the COM port is that the connection goes all whacky
    and users are dropped at random. The server itself is running fine it just
    can't detect the state of the users phone.

    Techie, Nov 23, 2004
  14. Techie

    Techie Guest

    No dumbass it is not a MODEM it is a TAPI device from Nortel learn to read
    full posts before spewing shit

    Techie, Nov 23, 2004
  15. Techie

    molsonexpert Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message
    > No dumbass it is not a MODEM it is a TAPI device from Nortel learn to read
    > full posts before spewing shit

    Now, howcum he can get away with saying the poo-poo word, yet I posted about
    a month ago paraphrasing a Monty Python skit (think vikings in a diner) and
    the powers that be at MS block it?

    steve
    molsonexpert, Nov 23, 2004
  16. Techie

    kpg Guest

    > Now, howcum he can get away with saying the poo-poo word, yet I posted
    > about
    > a month ago paraphrasing a Monty Python skit (think vikings in a diner)
    > and
    > the powers that be at MS block it?

    They don't like you.
    kpg, Nov 23, 2004
  17. Techie

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, molsonexpert climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:

    > "Techie" <> wrote in message
    >> No dumbass it is not a MODEM it is a TAPI device from Nortel learn to
    >> read full posts before spewing shit
    >>

    > Now, howcum he can get away with saying the poo-poo word, yet I posted
    > about a month ago paraphrasing a Monty Python skit (think vikings in a
    > diner) and the powers that be at MS block it?
    >
    > steve

    There is no rhyme or reason. What gets blocked by the nanny-bot one day
    gets thru the next. Danged if I can figure it out, either.

    JaR
    PC Thug
    JaR, Nov 23, 2004
  18. Techie

    LnkWizard Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message
    > LnkWizard
    > My answer as well was to move it to COM2 but they swear up and down that
    > COM1 is not an issue.Unfortunately management will not let me make any
    > changes as it would mean rebooting the server taking down voice mail for

    10
    > minutes.
    >
    > What leads me to suspect the COM port is that the connection goes all

    whacky
    > and users are dropped at random. The server itself is running fine it just
    > can't detect the state of the users phone.

    Okay, so upper management in their infinite "wisdom???" have
    pooched that idea. I have also seen where the COM port settings
    such as bit/baud rate and flow control have really SNAFU'ed
    things royally, especially the xon/xoff vs hardware flow control.

    LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

    LnkWizard, Nov 23, 2004
  19. molsonexpert wrote:
    > "Techie" <> wrote in message
    >> No dumbass it is not a MODEM it is a TAPI device from Nortel learn
    >> to read full posts before spewing shit
    >>

    > Now, howcum he can get away with saying the poo-poo word, yet I
    > posted about a month ago paraphrasing a Monty Python skit (think
    > vikings in a diner) and the powers that be at MS block it?
    >
    > steve

    I'm beginning to think MS has something like a reverse killfile.

    --
    Fris "If Frisbee And BadWords Then Post.Cancel" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Nov 23, 2004
  20. Techie

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Frisbee® climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    > I'm beginning to think MS has something like a reverse killfile.
    >
    > --
    > Fris "If Frisbee And BadWords Then Post.Cancel" bee©, MCNGP #13

    Always remember: Just because you're paranoid is no reason to think they
    really *aren't* out to get you.

    "If Frisbee And BotFiguresOut Then BlackHelicopters.Launch"

    JaR
    Innocent Thug
    JaR, Nov 23, 2004