    command to change the text and backgroud colors of a DOS windows from a
    batch file... Anyone recalls????

    Thanks.

    Dragon, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Re: Colors in DOS

    Dragon wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > Does anyone remember the good old days of DOS??? I can't remember the
    > command to change the text and backgroud colors of a DOS windows from
    > a batch file... Anyone recalls????
    >
    > Thanks.

    COLOR /?

    --
    Fris "Only her hairdresser knows for sure." bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Dragon

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    ah man, no one cares, lol

    Consultant, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    hehe, come one, someone has to remember,,,, It wasn't that long ago. :)

    Dragon, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    She's changed hairdressers several times, so no one knows... :-D

    Dragon, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Dragon

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    > COLOR /?

    hmm... you must be old...

    *runs*

    Jtyc, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Re: Colors in DOS

    Jtyc wrote:
    >> COLOR /?

    > hmm... you must be old...

    Older than you think. The COLOR command is pretty recent, actually. Back
    when I was a young whippersnapper, we didn't have no fancy COLOR commands,
    we had to put ANSI.SYS in our CONFIG.SYS and use escape sequences to get
    color. 'Course before that we didn't have no fancy COLOR monitors.

    --
    Fris "My other computer is an abacus" bee® MCNGP #13

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    hehe, Thank you. :)

    Just making a btch file for 'users'. I want to warn them with colors to
    enter parameters when they don't :)

    Yes I am oooooooooooold. :)

    Dragon, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Dragon

    KLXrider Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:30:04 -0700, "Dragon"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Guys,
    >
    >Does anyone remember the good old days of DOS??? I can't remember the
    >command to change the text and backgroud colors of a DOS windows from a
    >batch file... Anyone recalls????
    >
    >Thanks.

    When I used DOS we had monochrome monitors

    KLXrider, MCNGP #18

    KLXrider, Oct 16, 2003
  10. Dragon

    arse Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    No I don't, but back then I had a BBC micro model B with 32K of RAM

    For that you could use the COLOUR keyword or RGB

    I think it went something like this

    >10 REM **** THIS IS MY RUBBISH PROGRAM ****
    >20 RGB 255,255,168
    >30 PRINT"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS REALLY AN ISSUE"
    >40 GOTO 30

    RUN

    This used to turn the screen blue or some really disgusting green.

    Then it would print.

    arse, Oct 16, 2003
  11. Dragon

    Guest Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    wrong place to post. If you want a serious asnwer go to forums at
    http://sunbelt-software.com/. There are brains there.

    Guest, Oct 16, 2003
  12. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    Thank you Flicker for your honest answer. But...

    These guys are more fun... and... I got my answer... :)

    Dragon, Oct 16, 2003
  13. Dragon

    Guest Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    me too. I read the posts here to have fun.:)

    Guest, Oct 16, 2003
  14. Dragon

    Eric Guest

    config.sys

    Syntax:

    Device=[drive:][path]ANSI.SYS [/x] [/k] [/r]

    Parameters:

    [drive:][path] Sepecifies the location of the Ansi.sys
    file. Additional information on where to load these files
    can be found in the how to load section.

    SWITCHES

    /x Remaps extended keys independently on 101-key
    keyboards.
    /k Causes ANSI.SYS to treat a 101-key keyboard like an 84-
    key keyboard. This is equivalent to the command
    SWITCHES=/k. If you usually use the SWITCHES=/k command,
    you will need to use the /k switch with ANSI.SYS.
    /r Adjusts line scrolling to improve readability when
    ANSI.SYS is used with screen-reading programs (which make
    computers more accessible to people with disabilities).

    PARAMETERS

    Pn Numeric parameter. Specifies a decimal number.
    Ps Selective parameter. Specifies a decimal number that
    you use to select a function. You can specify more than
    one function by separating the parameters with
    semicolons.
    PL Line parameter. Specifies a decimal number that
    represents one of the lines on your display or on another
    device.
    Pc Column parameter. Specifies a decimal number that
    represents one of the columns on your screen or on another
    device.

    ESCAPE SEQUENCES

    ANSI escape sequences for cursor movement, graphics, and
    keyboard settings :

    In the following list of ANSI escape sequences, the
    abbreviation ESC represents the ASCII escape character 27
    (1Bh), which appears at the beginning of each escape
    sequence.

    ESC[PL;PcH Cursor Position: Moves the cursor to the
    specified position (coordinates). If you do not specify a
    position, the cursor moves to the home position — the
    upper-left corner of the screen (line 0, column 0). This
    escape sequence works the same way as the following Cursor
    Position escape sequence.
    ESC[PL;Pcf Cursor Position: Works the same way as the
    preceding Cursor Position escape sequence.
    ESC[PnA Cursor Up: Moves the cursor up by the specified
    number of lines without changing columns. If the cursor is
    already on the top line, ANSI.SYS ignores this sequence.
    ESC[PnB Cursor Down: Moves the cursor down by the
    specified number of lines without changing columns. If the
    cursor is already on the bottom line, ANSI.SYS ignores
    this sequence.
    ESC[PnC Cursor Forward: Moves the cursor forward by the
    specified number of columns without changing lines. If the
    cursor is already in the rightmost column, ANSI.SYS
    ignores this sequence.
    ESC[PnD Cursor Backward: Moves the cursor back by the
    specified number of columns without changing lines. If the
    cursor is already in the leftmost column, ANSI.SYS ignores
    this sequence.
    ESC[s Save Cursor Position: Saves the current cursor
    position. You can move the cursor to the saved cursor
    position by using the Restore Cursor Position sequence.
    ESC[u Restore Cursor Position: Returns the cursor to the
    position stored by the Save Cursor Position sequence.
    ESC[2J Erase Display: Clears the screen and moves the
    cursor to the home position (line 0, column 0).
    ESC[K Erase Line: Clears all characters from the cursor
    position to the end of the line (including the character
    at the cursor position).
    ESC[Ps;...;Psm Set Graphics Mode: Calls the graphics
    functions specified by the following values. These
    specified functions remain active until the next
    occurrence of this escape sequence. Graphics mode changes
    the colors and attributes of text (such as bold and
    underline) displayed on the screen.

    Text attributes

    0 All attributes off
    1 Bold on
    4 Underscore (on monochrome display adapter only)
    5 Blink on
    7 Reverse video on
    8 Concealed on

    Foreground colors

    30 Black
    31 Red
    32 Green
    33 Yellow
    34 Blue
    35 Magenta
    36 Cyan
    37 White

    Background colors

    40 Black
    41 Red
    42 Green
    43 Yellow
    44 Blue
    45 Magenta
    46 Cyan
    47 White

    Parameters 30 through 47 meet the ISO 6429 standard.

    ESC[=Psh

    Set Mode: Changes the screen width or type to the mode
    specified by one of the following values:

    0 40 x 148 x 25 monochrome (text)
    1 40 x 148 x 25 color (text)
    2 80 x 148 x 25 monochrome (text)
    3 80 x 148 x 25 color (text)
    4 320 x 148 x 200 4-color (graphics)
    5 320 x 148 x 200 monochrome (graphics)
    6 640 x 148 x 200 monochrome (graphics)
    7 Enables line wrapping
    13 320 x 148 x 200 color (graphics)
    14 640 x 148 x 200 color (16-color graphics)
    15 640 x 148 x 350 monochrome (2-color graphics)
    16 640 x 148 x 350 color (16-color graphics)
    17 640 x 148 x 480 monochrome (2-color graphics)
    18 640 x 148 x 480 color (16-color graphics)
    19 320 x 148 x 200 color (256-color graphics)

    Reset Mode: Resets the mode by using the same values that
    Set Mode uses, except for 7, which disables line wrapping.
    The last character in this escape sequence is a lowercase
    L.

    ESC[code;string;...p

    Set Keyboard Strings: Redefines a keyboard key to a
    specified string. The parameters for this escape sequence
    are defined as follows:

    · Code is one or more of the values listed in the
    following table. These values represent keyboard keys and
    key combinations. When using these values in a command,
    you must type the semicolons shown in this table in
    addition to the semicolons required by the escape
    sequence. The codes in parentheses are not available on
    some keyboards. ANSI.SYS will not interpret the codes in
    parentheses for those keyboards unless you specify the /x
    switch in the device command for ANSI.SYS.

    · String is either the ASCII code for a single character
    or a string contained in quotation marks. For example,
    both 65 and "A" can be used to represent an uppercase A.

    Important Some of the values in the following table are
    not valid for all computers. Check your computer’s
    documentation for values that are different.

    ASCII Key Codes

    Key Code ^SHIFT^+code ^CTRL^+code ALT+code
    F1 0;59 0;84 0;94 0;104
    F2 0;60 0;85 0;95 0;105
    F3 0;61 0;86 0;96 0;106
    F4 0;62 0;87 0;97 0;107
    F5 0;63 0;88 0;98 0;108
    F6 0;64 0;89 0;99 0;109
    F7 0;65 0;90 0;100 0;110
    F8 0;66 0;91 0;101 0;111
    F9 0;67 0;92 0;102 0;112
    F10 0;68 0;93 0;103 0;113
    F11 0;133 0;135 0;137 0;139
    F12 0;134 0;136 0;138 0;140
    HOME (num keypad) 0;71 55 0;119 -
    UP ARROW (num keypad) 0;72 56 (0;141) -
    PAGE UP (num keypad) 0;73 57 0;132 -
    LEFT ARROW (num keypad) 0;75 52 0;115 -
    RIGHT ARROW (num keypad) 0;77 54 0;116 -
    END (num keypad) 0;79 49 0;117 -
    DOWN ARROW (num keypad) 0;80 50 (0;145) -
    PAGE DOWN (num keypad) 0;81 51 0;118 -
    INSERT (num keypad) 0;82 48 (0;146) -
    DELETE (num keypad) 0;83 46 (0;147) -
    HOME (224;71) (224;71) (224;119) (224;151)
    UP ARROW (224;72) (224;72) (224;141) (224;152)
    PAGE UP (224;73) (224;73) (224;132) (224;153)
    LEFT ARROW (224;75) (224;75) (224;115) (224;155)
    RIGHT ARROW (224;77) (224;77) (224;116) (224;157)
    END (224;79) (224;79) (224;117) (224;159)
    DOWN ARROW (224;80) (224;80) (224;145) (224;154)
    PAGE DOWN (224;81) (224;81) (224;118) (224;161)
    INSERT (224;82) (224;82) (224;146) (224;162)
    DELETE (224;83) (224;83) (224;147) (224;163)
    PRINT SCREEN - - 0;114 -
    PAUSE/BREAK - - 0;0 -
    BACKSPACE 8 8 127 (0)
    ENTER 13 0 10 (0
    TAB 9 0;15 (0;148) (0;165)
    NULL 0;3 - - -
    A 97 65 1 0;30
    B 98 66 2 0;48
    C 99 66 3 0;46
    D 100 68 5 0;18
    E 101 69 5 0;18
    F 102 70 6 0;33
    G 103 71 7 0;34
    H 104 72 8 0;35
    I 105 73 9 0;23
    J 106 74 10 0;36
    K 107 75 11 0;37
    L 108 76 12 0;38
    M 109 77 13 0;50
    N 110 78 14 0;49
    O 111 79 15 0;24
    P 112 80 16 0;25
    Q 113 81 17 0;16
    R 114 82 18 0;19
    S 115 83 19 0;31
    T 116 84 20 0;20
    U 117 85 21 0;22
    V 118 86 22 0;47
    W 119 87 23 0;17
    X 120 88 24 0;45
    Y 121 89 25 0;21
    Z 122 90 26 0;44
    1 49 33 - 0;120
    2 50 64 0 0;121
    3 51 35 - 0;122
    4 52 36 - 0;123
    5 53 37 - 0;124
    6 54 94 30 0;125
    7 55 38 - 0;126
    8 56 42 - 0;126
    9 57 40 - 0;127
    0 48 41 - 0;129
    - 45 95 31 0;130
    = 61 43 - 0;131
    ] 91 123 27 0;26
    [ 93 125 29 0;27
    92 124 28 0;43
    ; 59 58 - 0;39
    ' 39 34 - 0;40
    .. 46 60 - 0;51
    / 47 63 - 0;53
    ` 39 34 - 0;40
    ENTER (keypad) 13 - 10 (0;116)
    / (keypad) 47 47 (0;142) (0;74)
    * (keypad) 42 (0;144) (0;78) -
    - (keypad) 45 45 (0;149) (0;164)
    + (keypad) 43 43 (0;150) (0;55)
    5 (keypad) (0;76) 53 (0;143) -

    Eric, Oct 17, 2003
  15. Dragon

    Dragon Guest

    Re: Colors in DOS

    Thank you Eric.

    The Color command built-in to Win2K and XP worked for me. :)

    Dragon, Oct 17, 2003