OT: Cluser of the Day

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Bill Hileman, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Bill Hileman

    Bill Hileman Guest

    There's not a whole lot an end-user can do anymore to stump me.

    Today my boss is handling tech support. One of our clients is having
    trouble with payroll direct deposit. She says the bank is rejecting her
    file. She forwards the file to my boss and he looks at it in notepad. It's
    just a flat text file, but with fixed-length records. He notices that
    nearly all of the records are for some reason enclosed in quotation marks at
    the beginning and ending of each record. That definitely would be a
    problem, but how in the hell did they get there?

    The clue was to scroll to the end of the file. The standard format requires
    that the "block" size be such that any empty records to complete a block at
    the end of the file be filled with nines. While the majority of the records
    were enclosed in quotes, the final few nines records were shown as "99e+45"

    I told my boss "Uh, she opened the file with a spreadsheet, then saved it,
    over-writing the existing file."

    "No way."

    "Way."

    Sure enough, after calling her back, that's exactly what she did. No backup
    either. In 25 years, users haven't changed much.

    Bill "Frisbee" Hileman
    MCNGP #13

    Bill Hileman, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Bill Hileman

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Bill Hileman" <> say in

    > There's not a whole lot an end-user can do anymore to stump me.
    >
    > Today my boss is handling tech support. One of our clients is having
    > trouble with payroll direct deposit. She says the bank is rejecting
    > her file. She forwards the file to my boss and he looks at it in
    > notepad. It's just a flat text file, but with fixed-length records.
    > He notices that nearly all of the records are for some reason enclosed
    > in quotation marks at the beginning and ending of each record. That
    > definitely would be a problem, but how in the hell did they get there?
    >
    > The clue was to scroll to the end of the file. The standard format
    > requires that the "block" size be such that any empty records to
    > complete a block at the end of the file be filled with nines. While
    > the majority of the records were enclosed in quotes, the final few
    > nines records were shown as "99e+45"
    >
    > I told my boss "Uh, she opened the file with a spreadsheet, then saved
    > it, over-writing the existing file."
    >
    > "No way."
    >
    > "Way."
    >
    > Sure enough, after calling her back, that's exactly what she did. No
    > backup either. In 25 years, users haven't changed much.
    >
    > Bill "Frisbee" Hileman
    > MCNGP #13

    As soon as you said payroll and flat file, I was on it. In our case it's
    leading zeros that are removed when opened in Excel.

    - This sentence is false.

    Neil, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Bill Hileman

    catwalker63 Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> prattled ceaselessly in

    > did you hear "Bill Hileman" <> say in
    >
    >> There's not a whole lot an end-user can do anymore to stump me.
    >>
    >> Today my boss is handling tech support. One of our clients is having
    >> trouble with payroll direct deposit. She says the bank is rejecting
    >> her file. She forwards the file to my boss and he looks at it in
    >> notepad. It's just a flat text file, but with fixed-length records.
    >> He notices that nearly all of the records are for some reason
    >> enclosed in quotation marks at the beginning and ending of each
    >> record. That definitely would be a problem, but how in the hell did
    >> they get there?
    >>
    >> The clue was to scroll to the end of the file. The standard format
    >> requires that the "block" size be such that any empty records to
    >> complete a block at the end of the file be filled with nines. While
    >> the majority of the records were enclosed in quotes, the final few
    >> nines records were shown as "99e+45"
    >>
    >> I told my boss "Uh, she opened the file with a spreadsheet, then
    >> saved it, over-writing the existing file."
    >>
    >> "No way."
    >>
    >> "Way."
    >>
    >> Sure enough, after calling her back, that's exactly what she did. No
    >> backup either. In 25 years, users haven't changed much.
    >>

    > As soon as you said payroll and flat file, I was on it. In our case
    > it's leading zeros that are removed when opened in Excel.

    I got you both beat. One of my stylists/clients bought a virus package
    yesterday. Yes, she actually paid for Malware Alarm with her credit
    card. I'm in the wrong business.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Bill Hileman

    kpg* Guest

    > I told my boss "Uh, she opened the file with a spreadsheet, then saved
    > it, over-writing the existing file."

    huh...we actually REQUIRE our clients to open and save our files in Excel.

    kpg*, Jan 31, 2008