    calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    the taking of silent pictures.

    Any info?

    SNOman, Oct 19, 2004

  2. In article <cl1vki$s9e$>, SNOman <> wrote:
    >I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
    >regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
    >cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
    >potential changing room perverts?
    >
    >A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
    >calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    >the taking of silent pictures.
    >
    >Any info?

    Surely a screwdriver and some sidecutters would do the "turn off the sound"
    thing just as effectively ? Remember ... most regulations aren't there to
    stop things ... just to make people feel happier about things :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 19, 2004

  3. SNOman

    SNOman Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <cl1vki$s9e$>, SNOman <> wrote:
    >
    >>I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
    >>regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
    >>cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
    >>potential changing room perverts?
    >>
    >>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
    >>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    >>the taking of silent pictures.
    >>
    >>Any info?

    > Surely a screwdriver and some sidecutters would do the "turn off the sound"
    > thing just as effectively ? Remember ... most regulations aren't there to
    > stop things ... just to make people feel happier about things :)
    >

    > Bruce

    Yeah I know, but that's not my point. If there is legislation that says
    that a cellphone camera has to make a sound when taking a picture then
    surely Telecom selling a camera which can manually have the sound turned
    off (as part of the menu functions) is against the law.

    I remember reading something about the sound issue just can't recall if
    anything official was done about it.

    SNOman, Oct 19, 2004
  4. In article <cl20m4$tdl$>, SNOman <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <cl1vki$s9e$>, SNOman <>

    > wrote:
    >>
    >>>I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
    >>>regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
    >>>cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
    >>>potential changing room perverts?
    >>>
    >>>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
    >>>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    >>>the taking of silent pictures.
    >>>
    >>>Any info?

    >> Surely a screwdriver and some sidecutters would do the "turn off the sound"
    >> thing just as effectively ? Remember ... most regulations aren't there to
    >> stop things ... just to make people feel happier about things :)

    >Yeah I know, but that's not my point. If there is legislation that says
    >that a cellphone camera has to make a sound when taking a picture then
    >surely Telecom selling a camera which can manually have the sound turned
    >off (as part of the menu functions) is against the law.

    Good point. :) Perhaps they are relying on people leaving the settings alone
    ? perhaps they sell them with that setting and let others break the law
    ? Sounds like them :)

    >I remember reading something about the sound issue just can't recall if
    >anything official was done about it.

    I don't recall anything like that. Let's hope you get some answers from
    people that do.

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 19, 2004
  5. SNOman

    Hmmm Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
    > regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
    > cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
    > potential changing room perverts?
    >
    > A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
    > calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    > the taking of silent pictures.
    >
    > Any info?

    No, that wasn't here, that was in korea or japan, i cannot remember which.

    Hmmm, Oct 19, 2004
  6. On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:54:10 +1300, SNOman <>
    wrote:

    >A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
    >calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    >the taking of silent pictures.

    My Nokia 6820 on the Vodafone network can also have the camera sounds
    enabled/disabled via menu option. The camera in it sucks though, so
    I'm not sure it would matter either way. :)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 19, 2004
  7. SNOman

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:54:10 +1300, SNOman <> wrote:

    >I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
    >regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
    >cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
    >potential changing room perverts?
    >
    >A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
    >calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    >the taking of silent pictures.
    >
    >Any info?

    Never heard of this, but one thing I did notice, and wondered why until I
    clicked about 10 mins later, there are signs at Hanmer Springs Thermal Resort
    that say no cellphones are to be used in the changing rooms. I was thinking
    what difference does it make if anyone makes a call from the changing rooms then
    I though of the camera thing.

    Craig Shore, Oct 19, 2004
  8. SNOman

    A Guest

    wrote:

    >I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
    >regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
    >cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
    >potential changing room perverts?
    >
    >A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
    >calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    >the taking of silent pictures.
    >
    >Any info?

    I've owned three picture phones - Alcatel 735, Nokia 3200, Sharp
    GX10i. All allow you to turn the sound off.

    I doubt the government will pass a law which makes our phones
    different from those overseas .

    A, Oct 19, 2004
  9. SNOman

    SNOman Guest

    A wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:54:10 +1300, SNOman <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
    >>regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
    >>cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
    >>potential changing room perverts?
    >>
    >>A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
    >>calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    >>the taking of silent pictures.
    >>
    >>Any info?

    > I've owned three picture phones - Alcatel 735, Nokia 3200, Sharp
    > GX10i. All allow you to turn the sound off.
    >
    > I doubt the government will pass a law which makes our phones
    > different from those overseas .

    Several countries overseas already ban the turning off the sound
    feature. I thought that we'd followed suit.

    SNOman, Oct 19, 2004
  10. SNOman

    Richard Guest

    SNOman wrote:

    > I thought/seem to recall that there was some issue not that long ago
    > regarding cellphones with cameras. Wasn't it something to do with
    > cellphones sold here had to make a noise when taking a picture to foil
    > potential changing room perverts?
    >
    > A colleague here at work just got himself one of the Telescum Sanyo
    > calmshell phones and he can turn off the camera sound thereby allowing
    > the taking of silent pictures.

    There is no legislation of the type in NZ

    When the person at vodafone tried to tell me that it was a law, I laughed.

    It may be in some obscure asian country, but sure isn't here, and it sucks that
    local products are forced to comply with some overseas law

    Richard, Oct 20, 2004
  11. SNOman

    Richard Guest

    SNOman wrote:

    > Several countries overseas already ban the turning off the sound
    > feature. I thought that we'd followed suit.

    Its pointless, anyone that wants to take pervy pics will just open it and snip
    the ringing speakers connections, and not be affected by this, and those that
    dont want to take pervy pics but want to use it in a library or on a bushwalk
    are seriously inconvenianced.

    Richard, Oct 20, 2004