    BTW, I'm currently using one channel of a two channel 12 foot RCA cable,
    obviously meant for analog audio. It's pretty thick stuff, although it
    was cheap at a computer show.
    Dan Musicant, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Dan Musicant

    TCS Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:33:57 GMT, Dan Musicant <> wrote:
    >I know this is a little OT here, but I'm sure many would be equally
    >curious. Is there any difference in the quality of sound I can expect by
    >using different cables for my digital coaxial sound from my DVD player
    >to my AV receiver?

    Use any RCA cable in good physical condition. The cheapest cables included
    free with a VCR or CD player will work perfectly.
    TCS, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Dan Musicant

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Dan Musicant" <> wrote in message
    > I know this is a little OT here, but I'm sure many would be equally
    > curious. Is there any difference in the quality of sound I can expect

    by
    > using different cables for my digital coaxial sound from my DVD player
    > to my AV receiver?

    You should use an RCA 'video' cable (the yellow one), not the red &
    white audio cables. The video cable has a 75 ohm impedance. The red &
    white are inferior.

    Other than the name on the packaging, there is no difference between a
    "coaxial digital cable" and a "composite video cable". Any 75 ohm RCA
    cable is as good as another.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 31, 2004
  4. >You should use an RCA 'video' cable (the yellow one), not the red &
    >white audio cables. The video cable has a 75 ohm impedance. The red &
    >white are inferior.
    >
    >Other than the name on the packaging, there is no difference between a
    >"coaxial digital cable" and a "composite video cable". Any 75 ohm RCA
    >cable is as good as another.

    What you can get by with depends on the length. For very short lengths
    you can use any old cable that fits, just like you can use audio cables
    for very short lengths of video. Anything more than a few feet, you
    should use cable of the proper impedance, ie "audio" cable for analog
    audio, "video" cable for video and digital audio.

    My own favorite cables are the Radio Shack premium ones with the gold
    and brass? connectors, not because I think they sound or look any better
    than the cheapies you get with your DVD, but because they don't break as
    easy, and once you put them on they ain't going to loosen.

    --
    Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
    Bloomington, MN to email, remove the "q" from my address
    Monte Castleman, Feb 2, 2004