[OT] building a fast network

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Cartoper, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. Cartoper

    Cartoper Guest

    Among other things, I am a photographer that is looking to move large
    volumes of images as fast as possible across my home network as
    possible and am wondering where the bottle neck is really going to be.

    Currently I have invested in the fasted memory cards and memory card
    readers, about 40 MB a second read. Based on the numbers, a 1000G bit
    network can handle 125 MB a second, but in the real world, on my home
    network, will that really achievable?

    Currently my fileserver is a bit old, it is a Pentium III on good
    *OLD* PCI x133 bus, can it stand up to the load, I am guessing that it
    might not. I am trying to keep cost down and I do have an old IBM
    xServer that has 64-bit PCI bus, would that be able to handle the type
    of throw put I am looking for or do I simply need to move to a PCI-X
    bus?

    What impact does the NIC and switch really have on things? Currently
    I am using some no name NIC’s and an inexpensive 8-port gigabyte
    switch. Are there NIC’s and switches that will yield better speed
    that I might want to consider?

    Cartoper, Aug 31, 2008

  2. Cartoper

    alexd Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:43:37 -0700, Cartoper wrote:

    > What impact does the NIC and switch really have on things? Currently I
    > am using some no name NIC’s and an inexpensive 8-port gigabyte switch.
    > Are there NIC’s and switches that will yield better speed that I might
    > want to consider?

    The easiest thing you can do is buy some cheap Gb NICs and test what kind
    of speeds you get. Then if you're not happy, look at upgrading the more
    expensive bits.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:29:08 up 50 days, 19:06, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.06

    alexd, Aug 31, 2008

  3. Cartoper

    Nicolai Guest

    >Currently my fileserver is a bit old, it is a Pentium III on good
    >*OLD* PCI x133 bus, can it stand up to the load, I am guessing that it
    >might not. I am trying to keep cost down and I do have an old IBM
    >xServer that has 64-bit PCI bus, would that be able to handle the type
    >of throw put I am looking for or do I simply need to move to a PCI-X
    >bus?

    99% sure your bottleneck would be the disk drives and / or IO.

    A brand new HD today can do average writes at about 750Mbit/s sequential. So
    you will need some sort of fast RAID for utilizing Gigabit network.

    Nicolai, Aug 31, 2008