    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
    CIW Certified Instructor

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 26, 2007

  2. Michael D. Alligood

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >http://certguard.com/forums/topic.asp?TID=584. Please feel free to
    >respond on the CertGuard forum.

    as you posted this here, i'll reply here.

    to me the whole concept of boot camps simply add to worthlessness of
    microsoft (and some other vendors) certs. The aim of a boot camp is
    simply to get you through the exams, NOT to teach you the many, many
    real world tools, techniques, technologies and understandings required
    to fulfill ones job in IT. Whether that be as a systems analyst,
    software engineer, network admin, database admin or a help desk dude,
    these traits come only with experience.

    So given that these boot comes should only be for experienced people
    (as you put), I say what's the point? As experienced people should
    already know much about the exam(s) topics, why would such people (or
    their company) want to pay those sums of money when a few days/weeks
    study and research will do?

    imho, boot camps are just another way of churning out paper cert
    holders with no real world experience. I do pretty much understand
    where you're coming from in your article, especially the paragraph
    about 'experience', but boot camps just add to the problem, nothing
    more.

    btw, I totally distinguish between boot camps and other training
    courses. I would always recommend training courses for learning about
    new products, technologies, methodologies, etc so long as the training
    provider comes recommended. There are still out there, cowboy
    providers who offer cheap, poorly constructed courses; so always do
    research on a provider and remember, cheap does not always mean the
    best value for money.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Mar 26, 2007

  3. Michael D. Alligood

    .rev [MCT] Guest

    A few points of conjecture if I may. One nice thing about experienced
    Network Engineers who are in pursuit of an MCSE may be able to get their
    office to let them go to a boot camp and not several weeks of training. They
    can disconnect from the office and dig themselves in training, and while
    they may know a lot already a boot camp often gives them new information and
    Microsoft perspectives they would not normally use in their day-to-day
    operations.

    With that said a boot camp is not for everyone and with an average passing
    rate (meaning they leave with an MCSE) is only about 30% or so it doesn't
    guarantee you will get yours when you go. I am pro-boot camp for the right
    candidate and do myself teach them from time to time. I don't give out
    answers and I don't "teach the test" either, what I try to do is take you're
    already gained knowledge and enhance it and prepare you for certification
    testing. These boot camps are unbelievably fast paced and can be an
    efficient way to gain certification. With my boot camps I provide the Sales
    Associates with a list of prerequisite questions and I review all of the
    candidates profiles before they take my camps. And if you somehow make it
    into my camp with no "real world" experience you will not make it out
    certified. Hell in some cases even having that knowledge doesn't mean you'll
    make it. I've had a few students that didn't make it all the way through.
    Usually though many of my students that don't pass all 7 exams during the
    camp have only missed one or two and with that they are MCSE in a few weeks
    past when they retake after some more self study and tutoring.

    --
    ..rev
    ..

    .rev [MCT], Mar 26, 2007
  4. Excellent point. Although for those "experienced I.T. professionals",
    there should be the option for accelerated learning available -- whether
    it be CLCs or bootcamps. But the latter falls into the category of
    knowing the technology and learning the new technology associated with a
    new release (e.g. Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003). But I
    will agree that the general concept of bootcamps is to "get their money,
    get them in, and get them out." The concept of accelerated learning is a
    good one. But it is tarnished by many bootcamps by daggling the
    certification carrot.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 26, 2007
  5. Michael D. Alligood

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >With my boot camps I provide the Sales
    >Associates with a list of prerequisite questions and I review all of the
    >candidates profiles before they take my camps. And if you somehow make it
    >into my camp with no "real world" experience you will not make it out
    >certified.

    fair enough.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Mar 26, 2007
  6. Michael D. Alligood

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Excellent point. Although for those "experienced I.T. professionals",
    >there should be the option for accelerated learning available -- whether
    >it be CLCs or bootcamps. But the latter falls into the category of
    >knowing the technology and learning the new technology associated with a
    >new release (e.g. Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003). But I
    >will agree that the general concept of bootcamps is to "get their money,
    >get them in, and get them out." The concept of accelerated learning is a
    >good one. But it is tarnished by many bootcamps by daggling the
    >certification carrot.

    reading the reply by the Rev, made me think about this a bit more. I
    think the Rev made some excellent points, not least: -

    I don't give out answers and I don't "teach the test"
    *and*
    my boot camps I provide the Sales Associates with a list of
    prerequisite questions and I review all of the candidates profiles
    before they take my camps

    It's a shame all boot camps don't adopted this approach. Nevertheless
    I'm still don't see the need for boot camps, experience should give
    what you need, the rest, i.e. aspects not in your day to day job role,
    can be researched. Still, everyone to their own.

    I stress again I'm totally in favor of instructor led training, just
    can't see how you can teach all the topics required to two weeks and
    remember there are many more 'topics' not covered in the exams.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Mar 26, 2007
  7. Michael D. Alligood

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Bootcamps

    bootcamps have no place in the market for serious professionals

    /that is all

    Consultant, Mar 26, 2007
  8. Re: Bootcamps

    I always admired your frankness! :)

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 26, 2007
  9. Michael D. Alligood

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Bootcamps

    i aim to please

    Consultant, Mar 26, 2007
  10. Michael D. Alligood

    catwalker63 Guest

    Re: Bootcamps

    Michael D. Alligood piffled away vaguely:

    > I always admired your frankness! :)

    Don't call him Frank. That's not his name. ;)
    --

    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Mar 26, 2007
  11. Michael D. Alligood

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Re: Bootcamps

    >bootcamps have no place in the market for serious professionals
    >
    >/that is all

    now, now, we'll have done of that kinda talk around here. after all
    what would your buddy James Carrion have to say ;-)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Mar 27, 2007
  12. Michael D. Alligood

    kpg Guest

    Re: Bootcamps

    catwalker63 <> wrote in

    > Michael D. Alligood piffled away vaguely:
    >
    >> I always admired your frankness! :)
    >>

    > Don't call him Frank. That's not his name. ;)

    Shirley you jest?

    kpg, Mar 27, 2007