    --

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Slarty Bartfast

    Guest Guest

    can they boot to usb

    any help on this.

    >For security reasons, I have removed the floppy drive

    from a couple of
    >oldish computers.
    >They will need to be re-imaged from time to time from

    bootable CDROMs.
    >The problem is the BIOS on these computers can't be

    flashed to enable them
    >to boot from CDROM, only 'A' or 'C'.
    >
    >Other than going out and buying a couple of 'less old'

    computers that can
    >boot from CD, is there a way to put a command in

    AUTOEXEC.BAT for instance,
    >that will load the CD drivers and go and run the Norton

    Ghost exe - maybe

    Guest, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Slarty Bartfast

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "Slarty Bartfast" <> spewed in

    > Other than going out and buying a couple of 'less old' computers

    anyway you cut it this is exactly what I would do...buy something made in
    the last 5 years...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Slarty Bartfast

    Brian Guest

    Re: Boot from CD with no Floppy

    "Slarty Bartfast" <> wrote
    > Other than going out and buying a couple of 'less old' computers that can
    > boot from CD, is there a way to put a command in AUTOEXEC.BAT for

    instance,
    > that will load the CD drivers and go and run the Norton Ghost exe - maybe
    > give me a choice at bootup;
    > Press 1 to load Windows (default)
    > Press 2 to Re-Image

    I keep a Win95 boot disk with the Mitsumi CD-ROM driver (MTMCDAI.SYS). That
    seems to get most CD-ROMs we have around here working.

    Brian
    The C is for Cynical

    Brian, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Slarty Bartfast

    Dragon Guest

    Re: Boot from CD with no Floppy

    You can create a startup-menu (different methods depending on the OS).
    Create multiple partitions and put the ghost image on one of them. During
    bootup, select to load the OS from the partition with Ghost image. Automate
    the ghost loader. One way would be like this:

    1. Boot Partition with Ghost image on it.
    2. Partition where you User OS and Apps reside.

    You can reimage the 2nd partition anytime you want by choosing from a menu
    on the first partition. You default choice on the menu will load OS from the
    2nd partition.

    HTH

    Dragon, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Slarty Bartfast

    fygar Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:18:52 +1000, "Slarty Bartfast"
    <> wrote:

    >This Off Topic, but I've hunted everywhere and can't find any help on this.
    >
    >For security reasons, I have removed the floppy drive from a couple of
    >oldish computers.
    >They will need to be re-imaged from time to time from bootable CDROMs.
    >The problem is the BIOS on these computers can't be flashed to enable them
    >to boot from CDROM, only 'A' or 'C'.
    >
    >Other than going out and buying a couple of 'less old' computers that can
    >boot from CD, is there a way to put a command in AUTOEXEC.BAT for instance,
    >that will load the CD drivers and go and run the Norton Ghost exe - maybe
    >give me a choice at bootup;
    >Press 1 to load Windows (default)
    >Press 2 to Re-Image
    >
    >Or some other way...

    The contract I was working on for the US Army had a similar
    requirement for all of the workstations. It was a classroom
    environment that needed the student to have a "fresh" computer in
    front of him every time he visited.

    In a nutshell it was implemented using a small FAT partition on C:
    that had the DOS TCP/IP stack that when booted connected to the
    network and imagaged the disk from a file stored on the computer using
    Imagecast. The new image had it's boot.ini file set to boot the
    Windows partition. The windows login script overwrote boot.ini with a
    version that booted the DOS partition. The user could do what he
    wanted to the machine, but when he logged off, it rebooted and
    reimaged.

    It was pretty slick for what it was intended to accomplish. Maybe it
    will give you an idea or two.

    Also check out www.nu2.nu for some other ideas that might help. That
    guy has been working on boot solutions for a long time.

    ....butch(adding value)

    fygar, Aug 19, 2004
  7. Re: Boot from CD with no Floppy

    Thanks for your replies - I'll try these suggestions

    Thanks,
    Slarty Bartfast

    Slarty Bartfast, Aug 19, 2004